cam tensioners ?

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
stee

cam tensioners ?

Post by stee »

hi my firestorm is making a ticking sound in the motor i was told it was the the cam tensioner is this a normal problem ? i have just parked it up in the garage till i get it fixed i was told from the guy at the garage he might be able to fix it by moving the tensioner to the next tooth ? he said it is maybe warn on a tooth ? any one can give advice ? thanks any one in advance :)
Hairy biker

Re: cam tensioners ?

Post by Hairy biker »

That's a bit worrying the cct's don't have teeth
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
stee

Post by stee »

mmmm strange....he said the chain is normally laying on the same tooth and and he could move it to a new tooth manually ? hope he knows what he is doing then lol
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

hold firm there Stee - and welcome btw - one of the professors of cam will be along soon, post this up in the workshop as well though, all the spannering goes on there
stee

Post by stee »

wow i am impressed with this forum fast replys here :)
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Cybercarl did a brilliant write up on changing the cct's you'll find it in the workshop section, have a read of that and you'll understand how they work, you might even have a go yourself :thumbup:
stee

Post by stee »

workshop ? i need to find my way around here lol ;)
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Type cct's in the search topic box or find cybercarl and its in his signature at the bottom of his post, failing that I'm sure someone will come along soon and post a link to take you straight there, I can't do that I'm afraid as I'm a bit of a cave man :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well as for my guide it's for manual tensioners which you will find in my signature. But as Hairy says there are no teeth on either the Honda auto tensioners or manuals. Cancel the guy yu got coming around as he is full of (family fortunes) ugh ugh.

Ok if you have a loud ticking it's best not to start the bike again until it's been checked over. You could very easily fit manuals yourself if your OK with the spanners. Is the ticking sound coming from the front cylinder? this is the usual one to fail.

Your other option is to do the stopper mod to the auto tensioners that are installed at the moment so if/when they do fail they cause no serious damage. BTBH if one is ticking then it is most probably already weak and may fail soonish so a bit of a waste of time really, unless you do that as a temporary fix.

Stop mod http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416
Which is the Honda auto CCT's that are converted to a fail safe. So when it does fail, it don't send the valves crashing.

(:-})
Last edited by VTRDark on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==============================Enter the Darkside
stee

Post by stee »

hahahah ok bud i will have a look :)
darkember

Post by darkember »

Stee just don't let you friend touch it. It seems like he has not a clue about these fickle machines & their idiosyncrasies.
stee

Post by stee »

the noise is a ticking sound quite loud but not sure were it is comming from i am a total noob when it come to mechanics but i will try if i think i can do it :/ i have just parked it up and booked it into a garage it has to go in 2 weeks to get checked out the bike is a 1999 firestorm it has dinojet and micron exaust i really enjoy the bike and need it fixed asap :/
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

CCT's are one of the weak points on these bikes so it likely that this is the noise. If it's not, then it wont be a bad thing to change them for either manual or Honda auto ones with the stopper mod done to them. This should be done anyway as it's only a matter of time before one fails.

If taking it to a garage you have two issues, first it probably means starting the bike and riding it there, now depending on if this noise is the tensioner and how bad it is, then it could fail on your ride to the garage and cause major engine failure and a lot more expense. Second, most garages will only fit replacement Honda auto tensioners so your still left with something that could fail at some stage.

Have a read through the Stopper mod instructions and the MCCT guide and work out whether or not you have the tools and are capable of sorting it out yourself and decide which you would prefer to do. If there is anything you don't understand about the procedure then ask away, we are here to help.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

If the garage aren't clued up on CCT's, I'd walk away briskly!

It's quite a simple task, either stopper mod or manual CCT's. But if its not done correctly, it won't end well.

If you don't fancy having a go yourself, can you chat to any other garages to see if there are any mechanics with a bit more experience with the Storms?
Jamie :wave:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the club, and I agree with what Carl is saying regarding your mechanic, none of these words make any sense in the context of the VTR CCT. Where are you based, perhaps there is some one nearby who can provide a helping hand?
AMcQ