Front Cylinder Head or whole engine

Moderator: VTRDark

robby_firestorm

Front Cylinder Head or whole engine

Post by robby_firestorm »

Hi guys

I am after a front cylinder head as I managed to snap both exhaust studs off or failing that a whole engine if anyone has one even if things are missing that I can take off this one aslong as it's a good runner with not too high milage.

Anyone got one pm me please at the moment I have a jack up bar fitted where the radiator bolts up and this holds the exhaust in place but won't forever.

Cheers
Last edited by robby_firestorm on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2000 Firestorm
VTRDark

Re: Front Cylinder

Post by VTRDark »

Have got any stud left protruding out. If so you may want to apply some heat and try and get the snapped stud out. I have the same problem but no stud left so am looking at either drilling out while on the bike or removing the head to drill them out. You have to be careful to not drill to deep and though any water jacket that may be behind.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
robby_firestorm

Hi no I let a mate have a go with an easy out hardened steel and that snapped in there to so a drill won't touch it. The other side he managed to drill halfway then wouldn't drill anymore.

Just seen the post about using a dremmel and cutting away some of the stud hole so might give that a go.

Also just realises it's the cylinder head I'm after and not the cylinder as it doesn't seperate.
2000 Firestorm
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

robby_firestorm wrote:Hi no I let a mate have a go with an easy out hardened steel and that snapped in there to so a drill won't touch it. The other side he managed to drill halfway then wouldn't drill anymore.

Just seen the post about using a dremmel and cutting away some of the stud hole so might give that a go.

Also just realises it's the cylinder head I'm after and not the cylinder as it doesn't seperate.
Yes mate try the dremmel. I think you're probably referring to a post I put up ages ago. You only need to cut away about 2mm of the ali sleeve as that's the only bit that's stuck on the stud.

Just make sure you put plenty of copper grease on the next ones. There will be a couple of mil of the new stud on the side you cut exposed to the elements.
robby_firestorm

Re: Front Cylinder Head or whole engine

Hi

Yes I think it was your post. I can only do this with one as it's still in there but with the other one I can't as its been half drilled out at an angle I don't think I have any options for that do I?
2000 Firestorm
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

robby_firestorm wrote:Hi

Yes I think it was your post. I can only do this with one as it's still in there but with the other one I can't as its been half drilled out at an angle I don't think I have any options for that do I?
If you have drilled it out and taken the thread out of the hole or messed up the hole, then probably not much you can do. Maybe a thread repair thing might work though I have never used one and don't know myself.

If you need a new front head, then there is one for sale from Benny's bike parts.
joe kozzi

Post by joe kozzi »

Ive got a engine you can have for 350. Ran perfectly had 30k on
robby_firestorm

Where abouts are you?
2000 Firestorm
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

robby_firestorm wrote:Where abouts are you?
joe is from Birmingham area
AMcQ
spikenipple

Post by spikenipple »

If you can get the cylinder head off and post it to me I'll get the old studs out for you and run a tap down the threads. Beer money + return postage cost :thumbup:
robby_firestorm

Hi

That is a wonderful offer but one bolt has a snapped hardened steel easy out in it and the other is half drilled and I think at an angle. Is there anything you can do with that?

Thanks
2000 Firestorm
spikenipple

Post by spikenipple »

I can certainly give it a go. Those easy-outs aren't as hard as you might think...they're closer to monkey metal than they are proper tool steel! The other stud will be no problem at all. I'm a machinist by the way :biggrin
darkember

Post by darkember »

When I take mine off I'm not even going to attempt to remove them, both nuts are going to be split period
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

I've got a front cylinder head off a 24000 milage engine, the studs have been removed so just need some new ones £50 + £20pp total £70
pm me if you want it. Geoff
RIDE TO ENJOY
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

If you get a new one, I could do with your old one for a couple of bits if you wanted to sell it? Cheers.
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs