Anyone tried Tyre Slime to repair puncture?

General Bike chat

Anyone tried Tyre Slime to repair puncture?

Post by Image »

Anyone tried that tyre slime for repairing punctures. I used some today and it appears to have stopped the puncture but this evening a car pulled out across my path while I was going down a hill and Ihad to slam on my brakes. The storms back wheel slid and fishtailed wildly. Kept the bike up ok but I'm wondering if the slime had anything to do with it and if so will it get better (it's only been in a few hours).
Steve6088

Re: Anyone tried Tyre Slime to repair puncture?

Post by Steve6088 »

From all accounts it's only designed to be a temporary repair. Try and get it professionally repaired ( plugged from the inside) if the puncture is near the center.

http://www.biketyreservices.com/

I always use these guys when I get punctures ( I have a knack of always picking them up). They're in Sale. There are a lot of people who wont repair motorcycle tyres anymore. Could call in tomorrow?, I think it's £25.
Last edited by Steve6088 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Slime is only a get-you-home fix - take the wheel to a tyre shop to properly plug the puncture.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts

Post by Image »

Nice one Steve. I work in Sale so I can pop the bike into them for repair on Monday. Everywhere else I've tried just say they don't do punctures. i guess there's not enough money in it for them. Going to Squires tomorrow for somebody's birthday so I'll just take it easy. Thanks for the link. I'll phone them tomorrow and book bike in for Monday. How long does it take them?
Watty

Post by Watty »

Get home fix only! Tbh I won't run a tyre that's been punctured,I value my life more than cost of a new tyre! That's only my opinion though :crazy:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Image wrote:Nice one Steve. I work in Sale so I can pop the bike into them for repair on Monday. Everywhere else I've tried just say they don't do punctures. i guess there's not enough money in it for them. Going to Squires tomorrow for somebody's birthday so I'll just take it easy. Thanks for the link. I'll phone them tomorrow and book bike in for Monday. How long does it take them?
I don't think it's the lack of profit I think it's the " Where there's blame there's a claim "culture :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Image wrote:Nice one Steve. I work in Sale so I can pop the bike into them for repair on Monday. Everywhere else I've tried just say they don't do punctures. i guess there's not enough money in it for them. Going to Squires tomorrow for somebody's birthday so I'll just take it easy. Thanks for the link. I'll phone them tomorrow and book bike in for Monday. How long does it take them?

He's pretty quick, maybe 20mins. You can either go into the shop or he has a van he uses. I usually get him to come to my workplace when I need him.

Pleased to be of help.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Not a fan of tyre slime or any of those products. For roadside repair I prefer the plug kits with the little CO2 cartridges. Got to be the good kits and not the cheap ones as they work a lot better and are easier to fit. I once had a tyre with about 6 of those repairs in. :roll: I wouldn't recommend that many though.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

cybercarl wrote: I once had a tyre with about 6 of those repairs in. :roll: I wouldn't recommend that many though.

(:-})
So how many do you recommend then? :lol: :lol: :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

I'll only repair a puncture upto 3mm and within the centre 25% of the tread, this rear only not front. on the receipt I put no warranty.
If the nail or whatever inside has touched the sidewall then no repair.

Tyre slime, hate the stuff, if I know it's in there I charge more, when you break the bead it explodes out everywhere then keeps coming out over the tyre machine, it's right messy and sticky, takes ages to clean up :evil:
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Used to sell it at work

Thought it was 'Kin crap
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

I thought you couldn't repair tyres that had been filled with foam or gunk, or is that what tyre places say cos it's horrible?
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I've not tried to repair one that's had the slime in it, but you'd need to completely clean the stuff out, including the hole, it would take ages and be a messy job, also the rim would need cleaning off, it really is horrible stuff and there's loads of it when it goes in a tyre. I wouldn't be keen on it. And would hardly be worth fixing.

Don't use it in the first place, carry an external puncture repait kit and a few short self tapping screw. the puncture repair kit may make the hole too big to be repaired though. the screws can get you out of trouble or get you to somewhere that can fix it properly, remove nail (only if tyre gone flat) put some puncture repair glue on a self tapper of the best size and screw it in. I used this method many times when I used to despatch ride, sometimes the self tapper stayed in for the life of the tyre. Would recommend getting it fixed properly or replacing the tyre as soon as though.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

My mate had puncture in Wales one year. We got some Tyre Weld and used that. He ran the tyre till it wore out some 2000 miles later at speeds of up to doubly legal amounts. Not recommending it, but it was fine. I used some in my car's front tyre which wouldn't seal to the rim and it has fixed that too.

Slime though is designed to be fitted in a tyre when new in case there is a puncture, not as a puncture repair.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Post by Image »

I used some in a ZX9 and it sealed the puncture and stopped anymore punctures from happening. It lasted the life of the tyre without any noticeable problems. So far on the storm it has mended the puncture but I can sort of feel it moving about ontight cornering but I've been told it takes a few days to fully congeal. Will keep updated on this thread. Have to admit though I'll be sort of glad when my tyre needs replacing and I renew.