Noisy front wheel bearing ???

General Bike chat
Shauned71

Noisy front wheel bearing ???

Post by Shauned71 »

I got what sounds like a noisy bearing and it's starting to bug me now. Changed the bearing a while back but still got the same noise... faster I go, louder it gets... until I get past 80 and then the exhaust noise blanks everything :lol:

Could it be possible that I had a duff replacement bearing or is there anything else that could give a similar effect and i'm just barking up the wrong tree :?

Front end off the floor, spin the wheel.. sounds ok.. pick up some speed find neutral and knock the engine off.. That's the only ideas iv'e had so far to try and work out what's making the noise.
AMCQ46

Re: Noisy front wheel bearing ???

Post by AMCQ46 »

If there are no noises of vibration when you spin the wheel with the pads pushed back, it won't be the front wheel bearing making the noise.

Is it the chain touching the exhaust link pipe?
AMcQ
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Haven't checked the chain.. will take a peek now. The type of noise i'm getting just makes me think wheel bearing.. It sounds like the noise is coming from the front but I could well be wrong.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Just compared my bike to my mates seeing as he's left his bike at my place.. the link pipe is close to the exhaust, chain is adjusted but if I pull down on the chain there is still enough travel to touch the link pipe. Also noticed that it's making contact with.. don't know what it's called.. the bar coming off the bottom of rear shock. Seems to be quite a bit of clearance on mates bike.
darkember

Post by darkember »

If you pull the chain down you will get it to touch the link pipe. It will also touch it if you spin the rear wheel backwards. This is quite normal as that slack is taken up when you sit on the bike.
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

That doesnt sound like front bearings. Have you checked the rears?

Also, if you suspect you have bad bearings, going 80 is a real bad idea. The bearings are what secure axle to wheel. If they fail at that speed it would lead to great unhappiness.

I would look for any marks from the errant chain, I have had that issue, you pipes can get tweaked on a sharp bump or going up a curb.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Hmmmm never considered the rear bearings.. noise really does sound like it's coming from the front. I will get her off the floor later properly and have a better check.. will also push all pads back and give her run, see if that makes any difference... noise starts at very low speed so only have to go slow up the lane. Will report back later.