WANTED-Fairing subframe

Moderator: VTRDark

mattycoops43

WANTED-Fairing subframe

Post by mattycoops43 »

Hi there,

Does anyone who has broken a bike have a fairing/clocks subframe for sale? Mine is a 2000 FY storm, I don't know if the bracket changed when the clocks did but mine is on the original type clocks.

Would also be interested in a set of clocks if they are cheap enough, mine all work fine, just has a couple of mount points broken on the back.

After rebuilding and replacing forks, now the forks and all the important bits are straight, I can see the front end smack has twisted the fairing frame slightly and the whole thing sits twisted ever so slightly to the right which is annoying the heck out of me!

Thanks

Matt
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
agentpineapple

Re: WANTED-Fairing subframe

Post by agentpineapple »

yup those front subframes are made of cheese. if I see one i'll let you know dude...... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yes, but not sure if it's straight after the prang, or if it's mine to pass on...damm insurance still none the wiser... :(
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Thanks guys, I can see how thin it is. I can probably bend it back, it's just got a couple of degrees twist on it, but the thing is how do I know if it's straight or not, I might take it off and see if the bend is obvious.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

mattycoops43 wrote:Thanks guys, I can see how thin it is. I can probably bend it back, it's just got a couple of degrees twist on it, but the thing is how do I know if it's straight or not, I might take it off and see if the bend is obvious.
Undo & take off the mirrors, if you fairing is on straight i.e. the fairing brackets aren't bent then the amount it's bent should be obvious from how it doesn't line up with the mirror holes...I would have thought.

Only other4 way is to compare with another straight one...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

normally its the parts at the bottom that get squished, the part where the holes for the headlight to poke thru. very thin metal at that point. post up a few pictures and how or if you manage to repair it... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

The bit which appears to be bent is the main box section that bolts on to the frame, the frame is definitely straight we checked it when we had it all off, but EVERYTHING that is on the subframe is twisted to the right, so even the clocks are leaning right, the rear fairing bolts line up because it is a twist, not a bend, so it's top of screen right, bottom of fairing left.

It IS very small amount, it just niggles me. Couldn't tell originally as it had bent forks and there was nothing to gauge against as the bars were not straight.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

maybe you can use some heat and bend it back into shape. you can buy them for about £30.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Undo & take off the mirrors, if you fairing is on straight i.e. the fairing brackets aren't bent then the amount it's bent should be obvious from how it doesn't line up with the mirror holes...I would have thought.
Not always. Mine has had a previous front/'side ender and the fairing bracket only has a slight bend in the tube where the mirror attaches. My fairing sits nice and flush and the only effect I get is that with the standard mirrors (before the extenders) I would always see my elbow that little bit more than the left hand side. I could never quite manipulate the mirror to the same angle as the left. Oh and I am missing the right hand weight from inside that tube where the mirror attaches.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:
Not always. Mine has had a previous front/'side ender and the fairing bracket only has a slight bend in the tube where the mirror attaches. My fairing sits nice and flush and the only effect I get is that with the standard mirrors (before the extenders) I would always see my elbow that little bit more than the left hand side. I could never quite manipulate the mirror to the same angle as the left. Oh and I am missing the right hand weight from inside that tube where the mirror attaches.

Huh ??? What weight ?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

There are similar weights like you have inside the clip on's inside the tubes that run down the sides of the faring bracket. You will see a plastic cap at the top and if you remove this, you then have access to the internal weights. I think the reason they are there is to keep the mirrors and that tube from vibrating at high speeds. :thumbup:

==============================Enter the Darkside
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Ive got one spare
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

A frame or a weight? tell me more?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

mattycoops43 wrote:A frame or a weight? tell me more?
let me know what you need mate.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

I just want the subframe, how much do you want for it. I am assuming it's straight due to the nature of my request! ;)