Which Bike Camera

General Biker Banter
seb421

Which Bike Camera

Post by seb421 »

This one is for the camera kings,

i'm looking for a bike camera to mount of the fuel tank preferably to loop record that i can have auto stop start like the car cams you see. needs to be waterproof and unobtrusive

not bothered about audio just a decent picture in night and day

just very very very nearly had a smash here

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Riving ... 6,,0,14.85

guys car was in the middle of the road as i was coming round this bend at 50mph he had been parked in that layby i think on my side of the road with his car facing me and set off across my side on to his round the blind bend, as i come round the bend his car was diagonal in the middle of the road, getting the bike stopped was a bit of an effort sliding at him sideways

Thankfully no crash or anything though it was bloody close mind, would like a camera i could use as evidence etc
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
VTRDark

Re: Which Bike Camera

Post by VTRDark »

Here's a thought :think: If your going to have a camera permanently on the bike for insurance/evidence reasons. Rather than have it on the tank it would be nice to have in a less obtrusive place. You could even incorporate it into the fairing by the headlight area or something. It would probably mean cutting the fairing and making a solid mount for it, but would be pretty cool. It could look like part of the bike. You just need to make sure you have easy access to the battery and SD card. I don't think you would get the best picture from a tank mount as it's not really looking at the road ahead. It's OK if you want to shoot your dash/fairing and screen.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Was going to get one of those solid tank mounts that bolt to the petrol filler and then make a spacer to get the desired hight so it's looking over the clocks, literally no room for anything mate fitting into fairing, the Hid kit a was struggle

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I don't really know whether or not other cameras do what you want, but the Drift Ghost does all that.

It's waterproof out of the box without a plastic case, it has a loop mode with a remote control, it has good picture quality and it has a tripod mount on the bottom, perfect for one of those metal tank mounts.

You basically turn it on, and set it to loop mode and either 10 secs, 30 secs, 1 min, 5 mins etc and if something happens, you press a button on the remote control. It will save the last period of time plus the next period of time for you.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

that sounds ideal mate, do you know if you can make it so that if you wire it into a wire that receives power when the ignition is turned on that it starts to record by itself

that would be the icing on the cake
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

What about something like this http://londonbikers.com/articles/25484/ ... a-reviewed which you will notice has a lock button for the record so it could be locked to on permanently. You can also have it running off a 12v power supply and it has continuous loop option. http://biketourgermany.wordpress.com/20 ... rd-camera/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dogcam-PVR-DV ... 589ef9a5ef

Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Not too sure on that mate, I don't think so though.

You can use 2 backs on the camera. One makes it waterproof, and the other is splash proof but lets you get access to the USB plug so you can plug it in and record whilst charging. You can power it from the bike battery so no messing with battery charging.

I think if you want one like that, it will have to be one of the car cam kits, butchered to fit on the bike.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Basically what he needs is what plod use but a consumer based version that is not so bulky from the drives/black box and stuff that they store everything on. Plus plod will have a nice screen to play back to you when you deny you was speeding or made a particular move. :lol:

It's needs to be a waterproof camera permanently mounted somewhere. And when on the bike there is no messing around with buttons or anything, just switch the ignition on and it automatically records on a continuous loop. It would be even better if it could charge itself from the bike as well. Then the only time he will need to touch it is if there is an indecent and the SD card needs to be removed. There's got to be such a device on the market. :think:

seb421

Post by seb421 »

That's exactly what I want mate!

There are wombles loads on the market for cars but not seen one yet I've thought would be right for a bike, there must be a market for them!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

I plan to build my own out of a raspberry pi and their soon to be released foundation camera.

Check it out if you like tinkering

Edit: theyve released the camera module, yay.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Eclectic wrote:I plan to build my own out of a raspberry pi and their soon to be released foundation camera.

This is a great idea, providing your accident is ok being captured in a 1px by 1px document hehe! No seriously, i would love to read your progress on this???? Maybe create a thread?

On another note, the OP might want to look at the GoPro systems, having used them i cant sing their praises enough!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Here some more options.
http://www.4kam.com/bikeamigo_motorcycl ... camera.htm

http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/roadhawk-ride ... od_29.html

http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co.uk ... p-759.html

None of this type of equipment is cheap though. I think I would rather spend the money on a camera designed for making film rather than insurance purposes.

Also I know insurance companies like cameras and it may even reduce your insurance by £20 or something by having one, a bit like alarms. But, and it's a big but, Is the evidence from one of these cameras able to be used as evidence in a court of law. It's OK for insurance companies to use it to see who's to blame, but when it comes down to the crunch can they use it in legal battles. :think:

The other thing you want to think about. It's all well and good having these devices to protect yourself. But on the other hand, if you get pulled for doing anything silly or are to blame for an accident (you might think your not) the footage could possibly be used against you. :think: It works both ways.

seb421

Post by seb421 »

That bike amigo looks very good, then i saw the price point! sh1t 8O
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Virt

Post by Virt »

Eclectic wrote:I plan to build my own out of a raspberry pi and their soon to be released foundation camera.

Do you currently own a raspberry pi then? What are they like? Having recently got into software engineering by familiarity with languages such as C#, VB.NET,VB6,Java etc... Really like the idea of the pi's but never known anyone with them and as a poor child I don't have enough money to waste :lol: I just need an excuse to do more programming really though... :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Virt wrote:

Do you currently own a raspberry pi then? What are they like? Having recently got into software engineering by familiarity with languages such as C#, VB.NET,VB6,Java etc... Really like the idea of the pi's but never known anyone with them and as a poor child I don't have enough money to waste :lol: I just need an excuse to do more programming really though... :thumbup:
I have 2, an original pre-order 256 B model, and a newer 512mb model. The original was replaced with the new model as our media head running raspbmc reading a samba share from my 'nix server thats running couchpotato, sickbead and headphones.

The first project for the spare unit was to run archlinux and mpd in the car, but I still found we used the car radio lol. So then i set about looking into running it with a webcam on my bike which led me to the foundations camera board. 5mp unit with 1080@30fps and hopefully to come 720@60fps which will be great for trackday slow mo's.

Also the time lapse feature will be verycool left in woodland etc for a night, relatively cheap so not the end of the world if it gets nicked.

Get one lad and learn python 8-)