Video test

General Bike chat
Miztaziggy

Video test

Post by Miztaziggy »

Went out to test the new camera yesterday and made this video to see the quality and to see how much it vibrates.

If you have decent internet connection, you can click the view on youtube and turn the quality settings up to 1080.

I found that it vibrates too much on the mount I put on the tank, so I did take it off afterwards, I will find a new place for it when the replacement sticky tape arrives. Also I only have 2 of the little Gopro mount pieces right now so couldn't mount it high enough to get a good view of the road. The pack I have ordered has 4 more and a clamp mount which will fit really nicely over my crash bobbins. Im hoping that this will massively reduce the vibration that you can see in this video as it will be fixed to something solid rather than paper thin fairings. I think with that mount and the little pieces that come with it, I should be able to get good low front and back views, plus high front and rider views.

Still not sure how to mount to the back of the bike though, I am thinking of putting a sticky mount on the swingarm because the fairing is really thin and flexible, it will vibrate too much.

This is how I mounted it, with tie wraps to hold it on just in case :)

Also tried it on my helmet, but got the angle wrong and all you can see is the bike speedo and screen. I have adjusted it now, but got no test video.

[youtube][/youtube]
chric

Re: Video test

Post by chric »

very nice picture are you linking a seperate microphone up so you can listen to the bike noise?
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's not too bad at all. I especially like the low down shots with the front wheel and rear shot showing you riding in trainers :lol: But what I like most about them low shots is the textures in the road surface. The dash angle is just wrong but what made it worse me was the White speech bubbles. I found that very distracting and eyes kept drawing towards it. Use Black so it's camouflaged in or better still a witness protection filter where it just adds a bit of blur.

Audio track went very well with the footage too. As for getting some bike noise, you will mostly get wind, but it can be nice to add hints of bike/wind noise in at times in the background behind the music track but not necessary. With longer footage, maybe have a bit fade in as the music track fades out and into a different music track. :think: Overall I think that is very good for your first time out with it and the picture quality is great. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
geodude

Post by geodude »

cybercarl wrote:That's not too bad at all. I especially like the low down shots with the front wheel and rear shot showing you riding in trainers :lol: But what I like most about them low shots is the textures in the road surface. The dash angle is just wrong but what made it worse me was the White speech bubbles. I found that very distracting and eyes kept drawing towards it. Use Black so it's camouflaged in or better still a witness protection filter where it just adds a bit of blur.

Audio track went very well with the footage too. As for getting some bike noise, you will mostly get wind, but it can be nice to add hints of bike/wind noise in at times in the background behind the music track but not necessary. With longer footage, maybe have a bit fade in as the music track fades out and into a different music track. :think: Overall I think that is very good for your first time out with it and the picture quality is great. :thumbup:

+1 Nice one :thumbup:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

chric wrote:very nice picture are you linking a seperate microphone up so you can listen to the bike noise?
Nah, I did think about a separate mic, but they are nearly £20. I might get one eventually though.
cybercarl wrote:rear shot showing you riding in trainers :lol:
Lol oops :oops:

I only did about 10 miles, not really an excuse, just really couldn't be arsed getting the fcuking one piece on to test out the cam.
cybercarl wrote:The dash angle is just wrong but what made it worse me was the White speech bubbles. I found that very distracting and eyes kept drawing towards it. Use Black so it's camouflaged in or better still a witness protection filter where it just adds a bit of blur.
Yeah, the camera needs to be higher up, which ill be able to do when the rest of my Gopro mounting things arrive. As for the speech bubbles...hmm I was using some software for the 1st time, I didn't know how to use it. All I could find was that, a question mark, or a cigar...thought I better put something on there since the speeds look like they should be in kmph and they are easily visible if you play it at 1080 or 720 :shh:

I have just downloaded a pirate copy of PowerDirector 11 though so ill get to know how to use that properly.

Been messing about with the camera again today, since the weather was crappy I decided to get some paint and do the living room. With it having a wide angle lens it is quite good for getting whole rooms in view, so used the timelapse mode to make this:

[youtube][/youtube]
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Re cams my Fav positions are tank mounted camera

helmet mouts are awful to watch as its moving about all over the place, i like to see the bikes line my self

perhaps somthing like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Motorcy ... 5af040ff22

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Ga ... 3a810ee042

and also needs engine noise and a bit of music

this is one of my Fav videos with a great cam position

[youtube][/youtube]

RE the painting, very nice mate but that painting has to go for something more manly a nitro nori on a canvas always looks good :thumbup:

or somthing like this screaming at you

ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

decided to get some paint and do the living room.
:lol: :clap: :clap: the cat enjoyed it.

Seb that is not good audio there. They are trying to be too clever mixing the sound of the bike and a music track at the same time, it very rarely works. The bike noise will either kill the music track and make it sound wrong/distorted or whatever or the music will kill the sound of the bike. There's a very fine line where you want either one or the other more prominent. It's a case of getting the audio levels right and finding a balance and fading between the two and tweaking it with keyframes. You don't have to fade it out totally but right into the background so you can hardly hear it and the other audio track/tracks becomes more prominent.

Even the BBC get it wrong. Recently in fact with one of Prf Brian Cox's series they tried to give a dramatic feel to it with over loud music while he was talking. But it was too the point where it's was just distracting and making it hard to listen and take in what he was talking about. There where loads of complaints about that particular series and it got slated. It was basically ruined by bad editing, in particular the audio production/editing. I think it was the Wonders of the World series. The funny thing is one tries turning their TV volume up to hear what he's saying, but off course this raises the volume of the music as well :lol: It's all down to the audio levels on each individual audio track in post production.

seb421

Post by seb421 »

cybercarl wrote:
decided to get some paint and do the living room.
:lol: :clap: :clap: the cat enjoyed it.

Seb that is not good audio there. They are trying to be too clever mixing the sound of the bike and a music track at the same time, it very rarely works. The bike noise will either kill the music track and make it sound wrong/distorted or whatever or the music will kill the sound of the bike. There's a very fine line where you want either one or the other more prominent. It's a case of getting the audio levels right and finding a balance and fading between the two and tweaking it with keyframes. You don't have to fade it out totally but right into the background so you can hardly hear it and the other audio track/tracks becomes more prominent.

Even the BBC get it wrong. Recently in fact with one of Prf Brian Cox's series they tried to give a dramatic feel to it with over loud music while he was talking. But it was too the point where it's was just distracting and making it hard to listen and take in what he was talking about. There where loads of complaints about that particular series and it got slated. It was basically ruined by bad editing, in particular the audio production/editing. I think it was the Wonders of the World series. The funny thing is one tries turning their TV volume up to hear what he's saying, but off course this raises the volume of the music as well :lol: It's all down to the audio levels on each individual audio track in post production.

It wasn't the music or noise that i like about that video its the camera position and the riding of beautiful roads something worthy of viewing

He's editing skills are lacking but he's no big uploader just a guy that enjoys a ride and put the video up to share, he's no blogger / vlogger or what every term there on now

when i watch a video with a helmet camera and its all over the place moving left and right and down at mirrors every other second i click on another video fairly quickly
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Miztaziggy wrote:
chric wrote:very nice picture are you linking a seperate microphone up so you can listen to the bike noise?
Nah, I did think about a separate mic, but they are nearly £20. I might get one eventually though.
cybercarl wrote:rear shot showing you riding in trainers :lol:
Lol oops :oops:

I only did about 10 miles, not really an excuse, just really couldn't be arsed getting the fcuking one piece on to test out the cam.
cybercarl wrote:The dash angle is just wrong but what made it worse me was the White speech bubbles. I found that very distracting and eyes kept drawing towards it. Use Black so it's camouflaged in or better still a witness protection filter where it just adds a bit of blur.
Yeah, the camera needs to be higher up, which ill be able to do when the rest of my Gopro mounting things arrive. As for the speech bubbles...hmm I was using some software for the 1st time, I didn't know how to use it. All I could find was that, a question mark, or a cigar...thought I better put something on there since the speeds look like they should be in kmph and they are easily visible if you play it at 1080 or 720 :shh:

I have just downloaded a pirate copy of PowerDirector 11 though so ill get to know how to use that properly.

Been messing about with the camera again today, since the weather was crappy I decided to get some paint and do the living room. With it having a wide angle lens it is quite good for getting whole rooms in view, so used the timelapse mode to make this:

[youtube][/youtube]
All them wires behind the tv would do my nut in :shock:

How much are these cameras ?
The picture looks very good
geodude

Post by geodude »

I'm torn between head cam and bike cam really.

When on the bike, you get a great sense of speed, especially when low down, but you miss a lot of what’s going on around. Scenery out to the left or right of the FOV will be missed.

When it’s on your head, viewers get a better idea of what the rider sees and if anything happens, you are more likely to get good footage of it. On the other hand, it can get quite nauseous to watch.

I can’t afford it at the moment but I am hoping to have another camera by the Wales meet. One on the bike and one on the hat (or even shoulder with the new strap) That way, you get the best of both worlds and can edit them both together. (Which is much more interesting for the viewer.) Having said that though, I don’t do my vids for the viewer, I do them for me. :P
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think head cameras need to sit inside a gyroscopic mount. The problem is everything being a bit shaky and not smooth enough. Small clips I guess are OK, but for me I don't like shaky footage so as long as it's cut to another camera before any movement unless it's a perfectly smooth pan. It's either that or attempt to use a smooth cam filter in post but for that to work efficiently one has to be willing to loose about 20% off the outer edge of the footage and be prepared for a more zoomed in look.

Head cam is a bit misleading, maybe they should be called action cam LOL. Shaky hard to watch footage is sort off accepted then. A bit like a white water rafter wearing one or a skydiver. Maybe for motorcycling it would be better to have one camera low or on dash etc in the main view and then head cam overlayed in the bottom corner of the screen as an alternative view or vica-versa at least there is something else then to distract the viewers eye away from any dodgy footage or use a slow-mo effect to disguise it. It's all down to how and where it is used and for how long :thumbup:

Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

lloydie wrote: All them wires behind the tv would do my nut in :shock:

How much are these cameras ?
The picture looks very good

Lol, it's a massive aerial cable the previous owners had tv on other side of room. I never notice them when TV pushed back in corner :)

That camera was £270 plus about £50 for second battery, extra mounts and 32gb SD card. You can get a Drift for £180 though with pretty much same picture quality, just a smaller LCD and no wifi or remote I think.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

i like they way these yorkshire police vids are edited, again shut music mind but hey ho

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
geodude

Post by geodude »

I like them. Nice find :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh excellent. They are in another league all together with various camera angles, not staying on the same shot for too long and the use of graphics. Great the way they are marking the route on the map as the rider goes along. You got close up's, medium close up's, long shots, lots of variations and angles to keep interest. Nice colour correction and effects. Also notice how they only give you short bursts of engine sound (not wind) at particular points but always keeping the music and sound FX foremost and keeping the flow going alongside with clip changes. It wouldn't surprise me if the engine sound was not from the camera but a sound clip edited in aftwerwards.

But this is all planned out and they have run the same route over and over again to re-position camera's or they used lot of multiple cameras onboard and along the roadside at various points. Something like that is not really feasible with club rideouts, events etc as your just shooting run and gun style and grabbing whatever you can. Basically just thinking on your feet rather than starting with a story board, working out everything beforehand and going out and taking multiple takes if you miss the shot first time around or whatever.