Fuel Light

General Bike chat
BigDaz1982

Fuel Light

Post by BigDaz1982 »

Alreet!

I know that my storm is c**p on fuel but was wondering how many miles you normally get after the light has come on? I went out with a few of my mates for some spirited riding and the light came on at 79 miles :lol: but as soon as it came on i filled it up a few miles down the road.

my mates found it hilarious how much it can :beer: the fuel :D
99 Firestorm- High level scorpion cans (LOUD!!)
01 929RRY Fireblade- Blue Flame race can
98 SV650 s - Art race can
91 DT125r - DEP ehxhaust system
Wicky

Re: Fuel Light

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Has this topic ever come up before? Why can I hear Sonny and Cher every morning?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Z28DUNC

Post by Z28DUNC »

79 Miles, thats loads can't have been riding it hard enough :roll: :lol:
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I've owned two storms in the past and one thing that always got to me was keep filling them up, apart from that they were perfect in ever other sense.

70-85miles per tank was around the best I would get if I remember rightly.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

the other day I got 95 miles til the fuel light, that was standing the bike upright to brim the tank

I was two up and wasn't going slow anywhere, 130 or so at times, so wombles knows whats up with yours haha
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
BigDaz1982

Post by BigDaz1982 »

So Im taking it that I should see 20 miles on the red light then? before it runs dry?
Im only trying to find out how far I can take it after the red light has come on.

Thanks Daza
99 Firestorm- High level scorpion cans (LOUD!!)
01 929RRY Fireblade- Blue Flame race can
98 SV650 s - Art race can
91 DT125r - DEP ehxhaust system
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

I personally would be worrying at 20 miles but I'm not sur

someone will come along with more knowledge on how far you can push it on the redlight soon :)
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

BigDaz1982 wrote:Im only trying to find out how far I can take it after the red light has come on.

Thanks Daza
As far as the next petrol station is the best idea :lol: :lol: :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Flatline wrote:
BigDaz1982 wrote:Im only trying to find out how far I can take it after the red light has come on.

Thanks Daza
As far as the next petrol station is the best idea :lol: :lol: :lol:
if not enjoy the walk :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

As far as the next petrol station is the best idea :lol:
Yep, it's not far on reserve, I would say more like 10 but I wouldn't want to push it.

My light has just come on at 70 odd miles as usual.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I did a spirited 150 miles on Sunday and averaged 44 mpg. 117miles to RLOD then 11.66 litres in at 119 miles. I have adjusted the mpg figure for the gearing.

IMHO, if you get 70 miles to RLOD then you are either not riding it properly (you don't need to rev the nuts off these things, nor should you lump around in too high a gear) or the bike needs a good service. In 13 years of ownership I have always averaged 42mpg.

How far can you go after the light comes on? Totally depends on the angle of the rod in the tank, which is what determines when it comes on in the first place - in other words, it's a pointless comparison as all bikes will be different (later ones had the fuel gauge of course which is a different system)
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

how many litres are left when the light comes on? two or three?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Best thing to do if you want to know more precisely how much reserve range there is in your tank (as it differs slightly on different bikes depending on the bend/placement of level sensor) is to get a can of fuel and run it onto reserve then till you run dry.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

how many litres are left when the light comes on? two or three?
Got no idea, but I tend to just fill up as soon as I can when the light comes on. I never fill up with the bike upright, so fill uo on the sidestand to just below the vent tube :think: (well either is that or the overflow). I probably don't ride it right as I do a lot of WOT short bursts and blipping the throttle in traffic in low gears. It's strange because it doesn't matter if I do town riding in traffic or get out on to motorways at three figure numbers or do a mix of both. 70-80 is what I have always got. I know my fuelling is good as I have had it dynoed, if anything it's a bit too lean down low up to 5 though. Petcock is not leaking, float valves look good, but I think I will change them anyway as they cheap. Gearing is standard.

It's weird because you get all these threads on how much fuel do you use and there are so many variations from bike to bike on here and on the Superhawk site.. Some just seem to drink more for no apparent reason. I have been chasing down how to get better economy fro ages now, but have just about given up and just have to accept that it is what it is. I'm not going to change the way I ride. I ride the way I do and that's that, I'm not going to pussyfoot the bike around at low revs. If I had to change the way I ride I may as well get a different bike. :roll: Nah, I love my storm, it's fun, and sounds great. I have a 19L tank to stick on at some stage, so it will get a bit better.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside