The Sv Experience

General Biker Banter
ging500

The Sv Experience

Post by ging500 »

Good evening all,

Well it feels like I have had a busy couple of days. Wednesday I got my first ride on a Firestorm courtesy of Bazza, was an amazing ride and was surprisingly similar to me SV.

As with all new motorbikes, the list of things that I want to do and what I have funds or time to do are disproportionate.

Today I have started on the list of jobs to do and have experienced giving a bit bike a service. So me and the Haynes manual have allowed me to change the air filter, change one spark plug. After a lot of messing around the front cylinder spark plug is still in the bike.
VTRDark

Re: The Sv Experience

Post by VTRDark »

the list of things that I want to do and what I have funds or time to do are disproportionate.
I know that one. LOL

So what's the problem with the other plug then :confused Well done on taking the step to do some servicing and maintenance yourself. You will save yourself a fortune that can go towards some of those things you want to do. :) Time on the other hand, well.... get what you can get done now because the older you get the faster it goes. :roll:

How was the riding position for you on the storm. Was it comfortable and did it feel right for you.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
ging500

Post by ging500 »

Overall the riding position was comfortable, as I've only really ridden the sv, I found the position very similar with a bit more leg room. I didn't really open the firestorm up as didn't want to be silly on the first ride but I really like flexiblity if sitting in 3 or 4 and being able to roll on and off the the power through the twisties.

Coming from 125, I changed gear a million times.

The front plug firstly is a bit of a cow to get to as you have to leaver the radiator forward. This gives limited space to. I'm currently using the spark plug tool that was in the toolkit however it one that has a bend in it. I tried using a 16 mm normal spark plug socket however it was too thick to get down the tunnel.
ging500

Post by ging500 »

Just a photo to show how much fun I had this weekend.

bike 055 by ginger501, on Flickr
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

What a pain. It's a bit like the Storm plugs because they are so deep down they can be awkward. It's one of those jobs where it's a case of needing the right tool for the job. It's a shame your original one in the toolkit has a bend in it, otherwise that would be perfect. I presume the bend is not supposed to be there. Frustrating, been there and know how it feels. I ended up just buying a cheap cheerful plug spanner from Halfords which does the trick for me. One of those Blue T handle types with the swivel end by the socket. A magnetic pick up tool is also handy to lift plugs out when undone if fingers cannot reach. Better quality plug spanners will have a rubber insert to grip the plug.

The problem with using standard sockets is that the outer circumference is usually a bit to big to slide down channels to get to the plug. Also you need to make sure you have the right size. Plug sockets and standard socket set sockets use a different measurement scale. For example on the Storm it's a 12mm plug spanner required. 12mm which refers to the thread size! but the hex part for the socket IIRC is actually an 18mm.

Keep up the good work and look at it as an excuse to buy new tools for the collection. :biggrin

ging500

Post by ging500 »

The orignal plug is supposed to bend but where it has metal clippy thing I have started to bend the metal. I have ordered some sockets, both 1/2 and 3/8 drive. I'm not sure whether its the sockets thts too thick or the attachments.

Also after reading on the sv forum people suggest removing the horn to allow more room for the radiator to move forward.

On a plus side, yesterday I changed the coolant and took the bike out for a ride.
ging500

Post by ging500 »

Well I tried to complete the simple job of replacing the front spark plug, got my new sockets etc. Well a simple job became a not soo simple job.

bike sh1t 066 by ginger501, on Flickr

I have managed to snap the spark plug thread off in the head. From what I have recovered, it looks like the front spark plug has never been replaced. After reading about, the only solution really is to take the head off and drill out the old thread.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sh1t, that's not good! A simple job turned into a nightmare.

..agree that there is not much option other than getting the head off and drilled out
AMcQ
darkember

Post by darkember »

Ok the front plug. The first thing I had issues with was getting the cap off just not enough leverage room for your fingers. That was easily solved using a piece of chord. I also have a toolkit plug spanner with a linked hex stem that will allow a socket to be attached to the end. From that socket I then had to attach 2 extensions & a uni joint to get it passed the forks & clear the fairing then the job was easy. I was even able to use my torque wrench to tighten once done.

Incidentally when you remove the plugs check them for colour. The rear one should be darker in colour as the rear carb is setup to run a little richer to cope with the higher temperature in the rear pot. Having seen your previous post. What is left of the plug, I cannot workout what the photo is showing its very blurred.
Last edited by darkember on Sat May 11, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macdee

Post by macdee »

omg that's horrendous
before driling the head which is very hard to do
try welding a piece of bar of a slightly smaller diameter to the plug and getting the seal broken that way
(after the head is removed of course )
told you not to but oh no you knew better
darkember

Post by darkember »

I would also fill the plug hole with penetrating fluid & leave it for several days. If the nut face of the plug is still there then the socket method I use should still work.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No way 8O That is disastrous what a fooking nightmare. Jeez..... that plug looks like it has never been changed, no copper slip around the thread and has probably been overtightened. I don't even understand how the complete thread can separate off the plug like that. I have never seen anything like it.

darkember

Post by darkember »

I possibly believe it could have been one of those counterfit plugs. Check the following link:

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Horror story.
No option but to remove the head, heat the head in an oven before trying to remove it as the ali head will expand more than the steel section of plug thread.
You might be able to lock a nut and cap head bolt through the section and loosen it that way.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Long shot but......might it not be possible to soak the stuck thread part with penetrating oil, get the biggest easyout you can find, weld an extension bar to it and try that down the hole to remove the broken part?