Ron Haslam Race School Day

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Miztaziggy

Ron Haslam Race School Day

Post by Miztaziggy »

So I sold £1,000 worth of bitcoins last night, and im now well up for getting this organised.

Im thinking Premier 600 course. Cost £285.

Dates either 5th, 19th or 26th June.

For those that don't know what this is, then it's a full day starting with some instruction, then 3 sessions on the track where you will ride 2 per 1 instructor. After each session you will be given feedback and advice on how to ride faster and better.

You will ride on their CBR 600RR bikes with their leathers and their helmets if you wish.

So is anyone else up for this before I book?

I have read that they will offer group booking discounts so if we can get a few of us, it may be slightly cheaper.
Fireman on a Storm

Re: Ron Haslam Race School Day

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I did this a few years ago. I was even over taken by Leon who was messing about on a blade. I nearly got off to see if I was still moving! 8O
It was a great day out. Ron is a really nice bloke. I did wish there was a little more track time. I hope it's changed but it was only 15 mins per session.
I did find it easier to thrash their bike compared to my storm when I went to brands.
GreenEyedGecko

Post by GreenEyedGecko »

So I went to the Ron Haslam school of Racing at Donington yesterday. My first time on a track and it was awesome!

Rode a CBR600RR which felt a bit different to the storm. No engine breaking at all when the revs dropped but the brakes were excellent - very powerful. ABS, so you can just grab massive handful if you need to.

After an intro safety talk there were three 15 minutes sessions on the track followed by a debriefing/feedback session. And, on the track, there was a 2:1 or 1:1 rider/instructor ratio so it is very geared to your ability.

So, before the first run out, sitting on the bike in the paddock you can hear the bikes screaming past along the straight behind, but you can't see them behind the fence. Not sure what's going to happen, the adrenaline is pumping, legs have turned to water, then its time to go... But, once you get past the first bend that all disappears as you are concentrating real hard and it feels great.

After the first session the instructor told me how wrong my corning style is. I was pushing the bars down (trying to counter steer) but also trying to sit up - and not moving about on the seat. See Pic (And that embarrassing duck pout wasnt helping at all :oops: lol)

WRONG!!!!

But the instructor was excellent. He explained how to go on and by the end of the 3rd session my body position was much better. I even did a couple of overtakes.

MUCH BETTER

Knee down? It felt like my head was down but the pics show it still has a long way to go. Definitely will be back there again next year :D :D :D
A group discount sounds good Miztaziggy. I hope some folk are up for this next year.
Last edited by GreenEyedGecko on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Excellent :) Glad you enjoyed it.

I had planned to do this as my first track experience too, but in the end just took the plunge and took my own bike on there. Donington was awesome. I really enjoyed it. I know what you mean about being able to hear the bikes screaming past but not being able to see, it gives a real buzz before you go out :D

I saw your picture before I read the text, and was thinking that you were sat up right trying to go against the bike, but then scrolled down and saw the second one, which looks much better. After my day at Donington this year, I posted up some pictures of the hair pin corners showing someone else about that body position and how it makes it easy to get the knee down, see here:

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 9&start=15

I still wouldn't mind doing this day, just because I could use someone else's bike and leathers and really give it some hammer rather than risking my own bike. If I was on their bike I would be trying to get my elbow down :lol:

Next year Ill 100% be going back to Donington at least once, but probably twice. I will also be doing Cadwell, Oulton and possibly Silverstone too, so I will be posting up dates when I get them organised starting next April/May time. Keep an eye out and come along if you fancy?

Btw - when you go on the Nolimits track days, they have instructors there that give you 1-1 tuition if you ask them. It's free.
GreenEyedGecko

Post by GreenEyedGecko »

Yeah, ok, cheers! Plenty of time to save up. Roll on next spring. :D :D