is it my imagination?

General Biker Banter
rkbn

is it my imagination?

Post by rkbn »

Hi guys, To start a bit of back history, i have been riding about 2 and a half years and my first bike was a 1997 ZZR6 and for a first bike it was fantastic it felt planted all the time never had any issues with handling and was getting it over around corners with ease, that is until the off and that was just shear bad luck (20 mph front wheel went from under me, shi77y coventry roads) but since i have had the storm, although it is a fantastic bike it just feels sketchy most of the time as if it is sliding from under me mainly at low speeds, just turning a corner feels like the front is slipping and the back feels like it wants to step out, i am not throttling on hard coming out of corners or riding stupid this is all under commuting riding, i have had new tyres fitted about a month ago and while breaking them in it felt fine but for some reason it all just feels sketchy, maybe it is just my imagination, but it feels like it is slipping then when we had a couple of cold but dry days i would have a bit of fun and it felt fine, dropping in to corners nicely and coming out the other side with a big smile on my face but then all of a sudden it goes back to feeling like it is slipping out again, it does not matter what time of the day it is either 0530, 1300 or 2230 (i use these times because that is when i mainly use the bike) i should add that the bike was used by a previous owner for the wheelie speed champs at elvington could the setup for that be the reason for this? or like i said just all in my head?

If you need any more info about the bike please feel free to ask and i will try and assist in any way i can

cheers guys

Nat
AMCQ46

Re: is it my imagination?

Post by AMCQ46 »

Sounds like it is worth letting another experienced storm owner have a ride and see if they agree...where are you based ?

It will also be worth checking the steering head bearings for damage, slack or over tight, plus back and front wheel bearings.

Also check wheel alignment, with string or a straight edge, not the marks on swing arm.
AMcQ
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

It may sound daft to suggest this after having new tyres recently but are they inflated to the correct cold pressures? It is very important with bikes that they are as it can make a big difference, I have found some tyres being more "fussy" than others, check the pressures. As you have had new tyres fitted it is likely the wheels are not aligned at AMQ suggests, as he says don't rely on the little marks on the swingarm actually measure the length between the rear wheel spindle and the swingarm pivot point on both sides.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

20 mph front wheel went from under me, shi77y coventry roads
Sounds like Lloydie's neck of the woods.

Head bearings sprung to my head as well. Might worth checking the rear wheel and chain alignment as well. If this is off it can make things feel weird.

As a side note. As the bike has been wheelied a lot I hope you have manual cct's fitted. Bikes that have been wheelied are extra prone to cct failure on the front. :eek2

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
rkbn

Post by rkbn »

AMCQ46 wrote:Sounds like it is worth letting another experienced storm owner have a ride and see if they agree...where are you based ?

It will also be worth checking the steering head bearings for damage, slack or over tight, plus back and front wheel bearings.

Also check wheel alignment, with string or a straight edge, not the marks on swing arm.

I am in keresley mate, on the very edge of keresley village/holbrooks,

my tyre pressures are fine i check them at least once a week, as i drop her in doors off at work all week and i want to make sure that i leave nothing to chance and it is safe for both of us.

I can strip and reassemble a plane or helicopter and their engines with my eyes closed, but give me a bike and i am feckin lost, will speak to my mate and see if he can offer some help with some of the causes suggested.

thanks guys
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

So you are not too far from lloydie who is at the ryton end of Cov, and I am just outside Solihull (well not at the moment, as I am in Scotland :D ). Happy to give the bike a look aver and see if it is set up strangely
AMcQ
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

rkbn wrote: i should add that the bike was used by a previous owner for the wheelie speed champs at elvington could the setup for that be the reason for this? or like i said just all in my head?
In which case any number of things could have been changed and by definition it will have been ragged and abused in its life. First thing is to check what has been changed from standard. Could have ridiculously low gearing, for example, to help with the wheelies etc
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Your previous low speed off could be like Miztaziggy's 'cornering confidence' thread be giving you the jitters. Still best to get it all checked out esp considering the bike's history. Check if the rear end has been jacked up.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I can strip and reassemble a plane or helicopter and their engines with my eyes closed
Just attach some rotor blades and problem solved then. :wink:

:lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

As amcq said your only up the road from me and I'm happy to check it over for you
rkbn

Post by rkbn »

lloydiecbr wrote:As amcq said your only up the road from me and I'm happy to check it over for you
Thanks mate i would appreciate it, if you could pm me your number and address and i will be in touch to arrange a suitable day/time/meeting place

As for mods the guy i brought it off, told me the r/r has been done manual cct, upgraded suspension all round and exhausts, did not mention anything about gearing or other engine mods, one thing that did shock me was it has had 17 owners since 1997 and only 26000 on the clock
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Pm sent
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

was the fella the same size as you, the suspension could be set wrongly for size....
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

bigspanishmarty wrote:was the fella the same size as you, the suspension could be set wrongly for size....
That's what I'm thinking or it buggered
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

rkbn wrote:one thing that did shock me was it has had 17 owners since 1997 and only 26000 on the clock
I'm sorry but didn't 17 owners over 26,000 miles set some alarm bells off :confused
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost