dead bike

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
rkbn

dead bike

Post by rkbn »

Hi guys got a bit of an issue with the storm, I started it up to go drop some things off to the mrs at work and all was fine, turned the bike off had a smoke and then got on my way home, it was only then did i notice that the odo and gauges were not working, i turned off my lights and the odo and gauges started working again but as soon as i turn them back on the odo and gauges stop working again, this was the case for lights, indicators, brakes both front and back, and the neutral light, as soon as they came on the gauges stopped working. I then stopped off at the local garage to pick up a few things and when i came to start the bike, nothing! not a god damn thing, no neutral light no oil light and no ignition just a dead bike, I put a brand new battery on the bike about two weeks ago and have had no problems with starting even last week when it was -8 outside it started first time.

Any ideas on what it could be? fuse? wiring? relay?

cheers guys
VTRDark

Re: dead bike

Post by VTRDark »

Check your battery connections are tight and it has a good earth then get a multimeter out and check what the Regulator rectifier is outputting. CBA posting details on how to check it but there's plenty of info on here. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
simo

Post by simo »

Think the Battery's on its way. It'll let you down soon but check terminals and earth as surgested.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
rkbn

Post by rkbn »

its a brand new battery only fitted about 2 weeks ago, so unless i am having the shittest luck in the world.... but you never know
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The rectifiers are know to give problems if you have one without any cooling fins on it. It's located in behind the seat plastics on the righthand side (rear brake pedal side). Even if yours is a finned one, it's worth checking out the connections going to it, plus the other battery terminal connections that have already been mentioned. The reading from a multi-meter at the battery terminals should be between 13.5 and 15.5 volts with the engine running.

Chris.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

rkbn wrote:its a brand new battery only fitted about 2 weeks ago, so unless i am having the shittest luck in the world.... but you never know
Check the terminals, cause I had a similar problem. Checked the terminals and everything seemed fine, still had problems so I tried the terminals again and found that the thread on the battery terminal was not the best, so put some elbow grease into it and the bolt turned another couple of turns and gave a positive contact.

Also check the white square connector behind the battery compartment, this came out but not all the way out so I had intermitant speedo read out, this came loose from also fititng the new battery.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sorry about this morning I was in a rush to get out the door.

Links for R/R testing/diagnoses procedures.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 24#p214828

==============================Enter the Darkside
skyman

Post by skyman »

had same problem battery terminals loose by just a 1\8 of a turn
rkbn

Post by rkbn »

cybercarl wrote:Sorry about this morning I was in a rush to get out the door.

Links for R/R testing/diagnoses procedures.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 24#p214828

No worries mate no offence taken

Well update on the dead bike after 1 and a half hours of head scratching, there is an issue with a wire that runs from my ignition to my starter relay (red and white wire) the r/r is absolutley fine as is the battery, everything else had power and gave a reading on the multi except this one wire, i managed to get the bike started by placing a piece of wire between the positive terminal on the battery and the connection in the starter relay and everything was back, bike started normal something that it had refused to do for a good 6 hours, rode it down to the mechanics and explained what was going on and the mechanic took my key put it in the ignition turned the key and what happens!! the bike works as if nothing was wrong, my gauges worked even when i turned my lights on or indicated, nothing was wrong with the bike, so i have left it in the capable hands of my mate who is going to give me a ring later on today hopefully, and as and when i know exactly what the issue was i will keep you all up to speed.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys i really do appreciate it