riding in france

General Bike chat
callam_nffc

riding in france

Post by callam_nffc »

just had a browse round for ferries and discovered a return for me, the other half and the bike for 45 quid dover-calais, first week in June

so im sure many of you will have rode over there, but can some of you recommend places to go/things to research into?
Ive been to Paris and quite frankly don't fancy being rammed off my bike by a shitty renault

I would like to ride to Spain but I think that's a bit over the top for my first European ride, plus we only have a week off and don't want to be doing silly distances each day :)
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
Wicky

Re: riding in france

Post by Wicky »

Reinvade Normandy - though watch out for Germans ;-) and celebrate in Calvados :beer:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

never been on a bike over there but isn't france the home of the on the spot fine where they nick your bike if you cant pay ??

:crazy: :crazy:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

the idea would be to have money with me, or just kick seven shades of sh1t out of him and burn off lol
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

but isn't france the home of the on the spot fine where they nick your bike if you cant pay ??
:eek2 :eek2 Really 8O so what do they do if you can't pay. Take your bike, stick some Onions around your neck and tell you to walk home. :roll:
or just kick seven shades of sh1t out of him and burn off lol
I think the carry guns over there.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

maybe I won't then haha

at work they've been over to Belgium a few times in the last couple of weeks via France and not had any issues, apparently the roads are amazing and no way near as busy as ours

my brother also went last year and stayed at one of these eurocamp places
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

callam_nffc wrote:the idea would be to have money with me, or just kick seven shades of sh1t out of him and burn off lol
Steady on old chap, this isn't the Gixxer forum, you know :wink:
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I went with 2 friends in 2008.

We got the ferry from Dover to Calais, then rode down the west side of France, stopping in cities like Caen, Rouen, Le Mans, Tours, Limoges then down to Montpellier.

When driving through northern france you should expect just long straight flat roads. I was expecting something good, but it was so dull. By the time we got 2 days in and were only as far as Tours, we decided to ditch the back roads and go on the tolls to get to the south coast more quickly. We wasted so much time riding on the back roads trying to find something twisty, the tolls are a better option to get to the south quickly, but even at best, i reckon it would take 2 days on a bike. With all the fuel stops and stuff, you just dont get as far as you would in a car.

The only exception to this was the massif central around Clermont Ferrand area. There are some awesome roads there. Wide, twisty and massive straights to get up to full speed. Just look at the area on google maps and you will see the number of twisty roads.

Without a doubt though, when I go again, ill get the ferry to Bilbao in Spain and avoid Northern France like the plague. It was so dull, and I did it on an R1 so after 3/4 days of that, my wrists were just about shot.

When you get to Monpellier everything changes, really. We stopped for a piss as we came down the mountain after the Milau viaduct, and it was like someone had flicked a switch. It had gone from being cold and damp, to cactus at the side of the road and 30 degree heat :)

But the roads, really I have never seen anything like it. The coast road from Monpellier to Marseille is good, but once you get past Toulon (staying on the coastline) you will not believe how good that road is.

It is twice as wide as our roads over here, perfectly smooth and just hairpin, after hairpin, after hairpin. The road winds up and down the cliffs hanging over the sea about 100m below you and has fairly long stretches between villages of 5-15 miles where you can really hammer it. I swear to god I have never been so happy as when I was riding along that road.

Anyway the road carries on past Saint Tropez and Saint Rapheal onto its best bit between Saint Rapheal and Cannes. We stopped at Cannes and had something to eat on the beach and looked at all the millionaire's yachts.

We stayed in Cannes that night ready for the road we had come to France for...the route Napoleon :)

It was quite hard to find the start of it, but basically it goes from Cannes to Grenoble and is just over 200 miles of THE best biking road you will ever likely see. You head out of Cannes toward Grasse, it isn't signposted very well, but once you get to Grasse you follow the D4 on toward Digne. It's hard to explain just how good this bit of road is to be honest, but there is nothing even close in this country. It is right through the middle of the Alps, so it's very high, your bike will lose power for a start. My R1 wouldn't pull power wheelies even in first gear for most of the trip, that's how high you are. As you can imagine, there arent many people living in the middle of the alps, so whereas over here you ride for 3 miles and then hit a 30, then go through a village, over there you get 20-30 mile stretches without seeing another living soul. Including police. The majority of the roads are wider than our dual carriageway roads, and the surface was all perfectly smooth with no pot holes.

See these pictures below, I didnt take these, I found them when I got back from France, but they sort of highlight just how good that road is....

These 4 pictures below are ones I took, and you can sort of see the quality of the roads in them.

The moral of all this is just dont bother with Northern France. Really. And the roads in the south are wide, smooth as a baby's butt, fast, winding and WELL worth visiting.

It is so dull. It is really flat, and 95% of the roads are dead straight. You will waste a lot of fuel and toll charges getting to the south of France. The only positive is that there are some really really long straights with no one around, and you can max your bike very easily. We went past a police speed check whilst doing over 250km/h (about 155 I think) and sh1t ourselves.

I didnt ride through the pyrenees mountains in Spain, but I am told by people who have that they are just as good as the Alps.

My GF and I are going later this year. Ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao and somewhere between 5-10 days in France. Maybe make a trip of it and get a group?
Last edited by Miztaziggy on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

As for fines and speeding btw....

Yes if you get caught, they will march you to a cash machine to pay. And if you get caught doing anything over 30 kmh over the limit (might be 50 actually im not sure) the fine will be a lot - approx 1500 Euro.

If it's any consolation we saw 0 police in the south of France, only in the North. There are signs for speed cameras through the Alps, but there aren't any fixed ones (or weren't when we went) and there were no vans or cars parked anywhere.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

when ever i drive from calais to barcelona, i very rarely see any police in france, thats mainly on the toll roads mind, they seem to have a different attitude to speed, i think as long as your not going at hyper speeds, and your riding is controlled, they don't seem to bother you, i normally have the cruise control set to 100/110mph, once from andorra to calais i didn't see any police at all....... :thumbup:
btw spain is the same, if you break the law, expect an on the spot fine, they will march you to a cash machine, my mother aka speedy gonzalez got done being 30kph over the limit and was fined 130 euro.....
they also take credit and debit cards.... :roll:
i've also done the portsmouth bilbao ferry crossing a few times, i found it to be very boring and not that cheap, but it serves a purpose and if i was doing a euro trip, i'd probably start or finish with the ferry, travelling along/thru the pyrennes is spectacular...... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Been europe loads of times, in fact most years for the last 7 or 8.

Northern France/ Belgium boring ( although it starts to get nice in the Ardennes, near the German border ). Best thing to do is allow a long slog on the first day, get it out of the way. Once you're down as far as Dijon ( roughly ) you're laughing, plenty of great routes.

Germany also superb on the whole, and cheaper than France mostly. Plod not an issue anywhere really, less chance of getting into trouble than here, its just the language barrier that makes it more of a problem if you do.

How long are you going for ? Recommended places; Germany - Eiffel Region ( around the Nurburgring ) and the Mosel Valley, get there in a day. Black Forest, bit further, I'd allow 2 for that, otherwise its hard work and lots of motorways. If you get to the Black Forest, the B500 is an absolute must. Anywhere South East France skirting the Alps, although early June some alpine routes will still be closed. Route Napolean ( N85/RN85 ) is a must if you're down that way.
Switzerland is mind blowing, but can be expensive, worth it though IMO. Northern Italy same. Not done the Pyrennees as yet.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

As your limited to a week the South may be just too far. There are some stonking roads in and around the Ardens region (North East) Belgium, Lux and German boarders.
Do-able in a day from Dover but not from Worcester.Some fantastic seanary, loads of history,first / second world wars and beyond.
See this photo album of just some of the views 2008.
http://www.wmmcc.org.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=22

Watch out for speed traps along main and side roads but you will find that the French drivers / riders will flash lights as a warning if there are speed traps ahead.

Enjoy your trip wherever you end up but stay safe.. :thumbup:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

This thread is being rather useful. I am wanting to get across the pond this year. Not sure if it will happen but we can all dream. As said above, we could get a group of us together.
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

I most definitely agree with Wicky ... avoid Metropolitan areas , espicially Paris , be aware
of now special driving rules , yellow vests , alcohol kits, bulbs fuses etc .. quick check on amazon will
show you what you need.. been to France a few times.. Brittany , Normandy ..Via Caen / Cherbourg
routes gets you to country areas nice places.. learn a bit of the lingo, my schoolboy O level French
stood me in good shape ... hey but everyone speaks " English " dont they ..
good luck and enjoy your trip
Alb :thumbup:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Nepoleon trail....what a day! :thumbup:

Don't forget to take a reflective jacket,spare set of bulbs,a warning triangle and I think you might also need to carry a personal breathalyser.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal