stopper vs manuals?

General Bike chat
callam_nffc

stopper vs manuals?

Post by callam_nffc »

Which way would you go and why?

I'm favouring the stopper mod and will soon be looking for someone to pay to do it for me, id just rather not rock it up myself lol

Cheers
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
lloydie

Re: stopper vs manuals?

Post by lloydie »

Do you suffer from paranoia ?

If you do get the stopper mod as once its done you won't need to adjust them .

If you don't and like to tinker every now and then get the manuals .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

But if you do suffer paranoia then you me be paranoid of the autos failing even though they wont cause any major damage, They will still need replacing. :lol:

No need to tinker with manuals if set up right and will only need adjusting once in a Blue moon. When the bike gets around to the service guide for valve clearance check is a good time to check the adjustments.

Auto's or Manuals, it's personal choice. Auto's will work as Honda designed but may still fail but without damage. Manual's you fit and will not fail if fitted correctly, but will need adjustment from time to time. Either option is a good move rather than doing nothing about it.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Was on about this with cheekykev the other day and convinced him to fit manual.

People seem to think the oem tensioners vary the tension on the chain depending on load when this is not the case.... If you look at how they work they shouldnt back off at all under normal conditions as the tension rod is held by the spring on a ratchet mechanism.
The only benefit is they automatically set the tension... But once its set theyre locked by the ratchet.... It doesnt move in and out.
So whats the difference fitting manual tensioners apart from you have to set the tension by hand.
And they dont fail.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

I've a feeling I may have asked the million dollar vtr question here lol

If I go the stopper route will it give me enough warning or whatever to get home from a decent distance away?
Or would I just end up sat at the side of the road with an intact but unusable engine

How often do manuals need to be adjusted?
Because id like something that doesn't really have to cross my mind once fitted
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

callam_nffc wrote:Which way would you go and why?

I'm favouring the stopper mod and will soon be looking for someone to pay to do it for me, id just rather not rock it up myself lol

Cheers
I've got manuals. Once theyre done, thats it. Stoppers can still need replacing down the line, as theyre a mod to an existing cct. Others will disagree though, each to their own.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Generally without warning as CCT spring snaps and kaboom! Stopper mod will stop CCT loosing full tension & thus prevent cam chain jumping off cam timing teeth and will get you home albeit you'll still rattle away. However you'll still need to replace CCTs again - rinse and repeat

Fit manuals once for life and adjust as previously mentioned, if ever once every blue moon. Relatively easily done as there's a very good write up in the workshop knowledgebase on the procedure.
callam_nffc wrote:I've a feeling I may have asked the million dollar vtr question here lol

If I go the stopper route will it give me enough warning or whatever to get home from a decent distance away?
Or would I just end up sat at the side of the road with an intact but unusable engine

How often do manuals need to be adjusted?
Because id like something that doesn't really have to cross my mind once fitted
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

I'm gonna have to have a good think which way I want to go,
I also need to sit and study the process of how both are fitted,

I'm not too bad at such things but think id rather have the piece of mind paying someone else to do it
neil

Post by neil »

stopper mod prevents engine damage WHEN it fails, manual fixes problem forever, choice is yours
redvtr
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

There will be a few workshop days coming up around summertime so maybe you can join in on one them where there are others for guidance. I believe AMCQ will be holding one in Birmingham which is not too far from you. In the meantime you may want to check that the big center cap on the generator cover comes off as they have a nasty habit of seizing on. If so, then that is a job in itself to remove. :eek2

Some links for you.

You can either go for the stop mod http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416
Which is the Honda auto CCT's that are converted to a fail safe. So when it does fail, it don't send the valves crashing.

Or

You go for the full manual conversion, your options are here
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

Then with regards to fitting View Topic
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Callum - here's my experience if it helps. I never used to have the confidence, experience nor 'natural' ability to even contemplate half this stuff. HOWEVER! I downloaded the workshop manual, got the haynes and decided to get stuck in on a couple of jobs. I then found all the help I could ever need here and once you get your head round it, ask questions and understand the bike and process better it seems pretty straightforward on the whole. Throw in a couple of workshop days and you're then flying as your knowledge and confidence increases. The CCT instructions are v thorough

as an example I thought carl should be renamed CyberCarb after all the help he gave me remotely when I decided to clean the carbs to have the peace of mind they were in good nick. And done loads since and have loads I want to do in the confidence the more experienced and knowledgeable guys on here are always ready to assist :thumbup: Save your dosh for something you can treat yourself and the bike to
leelee

Post by leelee »

can anyone recommend best place to get the manual ccts from thanks. :confused
ride it till the tires fall off then keep going !!!!!!!
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

cheers lads, Ive decided I'm going to go the manual route and I'm going to study the workshop manual I have to make the text match up with images so I can get an idea what I'm doing.

I'm an apprentice engineer so I know my way around a tool box its just the confidence to take bits off (I have visions of getting timing wrong and something blowing up haha)

will look forward to the workshops as they sound like a brilliant idea for gaining info :)

now just to decide what manuals I'm going to go for
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

leelee wrote:can anyone recommend best place to get the manual ccts from thanks. :confused
FireStorm cam chain tensioners w/gaskets > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR-100 ... 43b9977aa1

Kreiger, APE and Bazza CCT's http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

or contact bazza for his manual conversions (remember to send him your old ones) or RoS for his manuals
Last edited by Wicky on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

I bought Mark Kriegers but there is a member here that makes them also.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White