Does K&N and Dynojet make a difference

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
markycee

Does K&N and Dynojet make a difference

Post by markycee »

Firestorm on 2000 plate , already has performance cans etc. The question is, does a K&N and dynojet make a real noticeable difference? It's a fair chunk of money to throw at the bike especially as I would need to get it done at a tuning place, but the bike seems to run pretty well already (No flat spots and pulls all the way through reve range)

Last year, I tried to put a K&N filter in without dynojetting and it was a nightmare. It coughed and spluttered all over the place and in teh end I had to go back to a standard filter. Is it possible to tune existing carbs to run okay with K&N filter (i.e without re-jetting)

p.s Anyone heard of PDQ tuning in Taplow and whether they are a good option for this type of stuff.

Tks if you can help.
Wicky

Re: Does K&N and Dynojet make a difference

Post by Wicky »

When I had my K&N fitted with a dynojet kit & freer flower cans it took 8 dyno runs by an experienced Honda tech to tune right

I think you've asked this question before

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 92#p172392
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
markycee

Post by markycee »

You're right. I have asked before, but wanted to see if any new opinions came forward and I'm coming from a slightly different angle this time, in terms of costs vs benefit. I think your experience of 8 dyno runs tells me what I need to know and I'll leave it.

Any thoughts on the issue of fitting K&N without re-jetting. Is this a no-go?

tks
seb421

Post by seb421 »

It will need rejet other wise it will run like sh1t

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Are you looking for performance gains or the convenience of a reusable air filter? The K&N is not a plug&play mod.

Does K&N air filter make a noticable difference?

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27267
Last edited by Wicky on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

markycee wrote:You're right. I have asked before, but wanted to see if any new opinions came forward and I'm coming from a slightly different angle this time, in terms of costs vs benefit. I think your experience of 8 dyno runs tells me what I need to know and I'll leave it.

tks
By all accounts, the k&n filter is what causes the need for dyno time, which in turn means dosh. I've had 2 storms, both dynojetted, standard air filters, no dyno time ( other than to check the fueling and power, £30 a pop ). Both were running spot on, and making good power. I think the k&n filter is more hassle than its worth.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I fitted Race cans, a K&N and DJ kit when I first got my bike 10yrs ago and my answers would be:

1) yes it makes a difference but you cant fit the filter without rejetting
2) I just followed the DJ instructions for settings and didnt put it on a dyno and with the exception of a bit of a dip at 5000rpm it was fine and I rode it like that for a few years
3) when i did try and get rid of the dip some yrs later I never got it any better, so I swapped the filter back to stock and power was smoothed out but fuel consumption went up 20% and I am sure I lost power [hard to tell as dip followed by a step feels much more powerfull than a smooth linear drive, even if they are both giving the same peak].
4) I then got hold of a BMC street filter [imported from USA!] as they are half way between K&N flow and Stock. this now has the linearity of stock and the top end of K&N..........and i didnt change the jetting from the first settings used in step 2)!!
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think the k&n filter is more hassle than its worth.
Yep, these bikes don't like K&N's. I'm not saying they don't work, but they will need some dyno time to get spot on without any dip throughout the rev range anywhere.

On the subject of filter any non standard filter that is added will require some kind of carb adjustments. If you have aftermarket pipes and would like to improve the tuning, A/F mixture with them, you can do it on the cheap by keeping the standard filter and shimming the standard needles.
http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/te ... -up-24769/

And if you want to learn a bit more about the carbs and jetting then have a read. You will then realise that it's not just a straight plug and play and dyno time is usually required.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 14#p238567

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

If you're after what feels like a real performance gain then I would suggest a larger rear sprocket.
Go up by a couple of teeth on the rear and it will feel like having an extra 20 HP. :thumbup:
Dyno Tune is great if you are having a problem because you can tune it away but if you are expecting big horse power gains I'm afraid you will be disappointed.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

mik in canada rates the bmc road filter very highly iirc, and he's done just about every mod there is to do on the storm....
must be the road filter tho and NOT the race item...
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

bigspanishmarty wrote:mik in canada rates the bmc road filter very highly iirc, and he's done just about every mod there is to do on the storm....
must be the road filter tho and NOT the race item...
Wouldnt mind trying one of those, are they only stateside ??
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

BMC are made in Italy, so I assume you can get them in Europe if not the uk. I got mine in USA as it was a good price in a shop local to my work.
AMcQ
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

AMCQ46 wrote:BMC are made in Italy, so I assume you can get them in Europe if not the uk. I got mine in USA as it was a good price in a shop local to my work.
Just went online, to a US site I've used before for PC3's. Did a bulk buy calculator, based on 5 BMC Road filters, and delivered they come to £68...... That doesnt account for any possible import tax collars but that's the chance one takes.....

Anyone interested ??
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

For some reason there's no UK, Germany or Italian distributor :?

however, this lot in the Netherlands http://www.motopro.com/motopro/products/ and bike distributors listed here http://www.bmcairfilters.com/dealers_list.aspx for Belgium, France and other EU countries
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I also run a BMC street filter.

There one in Latvia here. No tax from EU. It doesn't say if it's the street or race version though,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Varader ... 2a20616296

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside