Not liking cold weather

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Bullyboydave

Not liking cold weather

Post by Bullyboydave »

Not had bike long ,but went out in very cold about 0 and bike ran like a bag of S@&t, is it normal for Firestorms, and is this carb icing? . I have a K&n filter so would using a standard one make much difference. Not a big problem but was wondering if anyone else has had similar probs in real cold conditions, Cheers Guys
If Carlsberg made bikes, they would be V Twins
VTRDark

Re: Not liking cold weather

Post by VTRDark »

It should be fine in the cold, no it's not normal. You may want to check your coolant and make sure there is antifreeze in these cold conditions, but I expect it's not quite cold enough for carb icing, especially with the heat from these engines.

When you say it's running like sh1t, can you explain what symptoms your getting. Is it just sluggish, carb spitting, non responsive power or what.

Patient: "Doctor Doctor I feel like sh1t"
Doctor: "have some toilet roll sir, wipe yourself down and you should feel much better"
:lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

check to make sure the carb heater pipes havent been removed .
the dont work that well be they help in the colder weather
Bullyboydave

Post by Bullyboydave »

Yeh it's just spluttering and there is no power at over 3000 ish, absolutely fine in warmer temps just annoying if you get caught out when away on the bike, will check for carb heater pipes though, Cheers Guys
Bullyboydave

Post by Bullyboydave »

Might have the answer, I cleaned and reoiled the K&N a couple of days before my last ride and didn't use k&n's own oil, just some for a car I used to have,Bike does feel like its not getting enough fuel/air so ordered an original standard filter and hope it works,. Would it be ok to use carb cleaner before fitting just in case of gum from filter oil. Cheers Guys
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Get yourself a K&N or similar cleaning kit - (I got a pipercross cleaning & oil kit from Halfords) - clean & apply as prescribed to your K&N

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25411

What is your bike jetted for, the K&N or a standard filter? as the freer flowing K&N needs careful setting up, with a jet kit and racier cans, best done on a dyno. Over at the Superhawk forum, they absolutely loathe K&N and recommend using a standard filter. The K&N is not a plg'n'play tuning mod, This is because the VTR is extremely sensitive to breathing mods esp. to the airbox area. I run a K&N and it took 8 dyno runs & carb fettling to get it running sweetly.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh it's just spluttering and there is no power at over 3000 ish,
I cleaned and reoiled the K&N a couple of days before my last ride and didn't use k&n's own oil
Sounds like you may have over oiled the filter. Give it a clean and re-oil and I think you will be fine :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside