Basics

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Golgother

Basics

Post by Golgother »

Hey All

What are the standard tyre pressures for a Storm ?

When checking the engine oil level, what is the correct level ? Between the two lines in the window or at the top mark ?

Cheers
Matt
1998 VTR, One of the red fast ones, Harris Laverda
Phimosis

Re: Basics

Post by Phimosis »

42 rear 36 front and I fill the oil level to the top line when upright. Dont be afraid to use a good synthetic oil in a used engine.
She told me she was 16.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

This could be handy: VTR1000F (Superhawk) Firestorm Service Manual PDF > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18025
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
simo

Post by simo »

Phimosis wrote:42 rear 36 front and I fill the oil level to the top line when upright. Dont be afraid to use a good synthetic oil in a used engine.
Only semi synthetic unless you need clutch slip.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

+1

and it costs less.......its an easy choice
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

AMCQ46 wrote:+1

and it costs less.......its an easy choice
"Aye, I'm nay mean, i'm just thrifty"!!!!!!
:lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
popkat

Post by popkat »

Phimosis wrote:42 rear 36 front and I fill the oil level to the top line when upright.
So where can i get a 36t front sprocket :roll: :lol:
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

popkat wrote:
Phimosis wrote:42 rear 36 front and I fill the oil level to the top line when upright.
So where can i get a 36t front sprocket :roll: :lol:
Fastest storm about with that gearing!
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

What are the standard tyre pressures for a Storm ?
It would be if it was gearing that was was being refereed to. :)

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

I,ve bored folk with this before and I'll do it again.Honda fitted it with Dunlop tyres.If you look on the Dunlop site these pressures are for what is recommended to carry maximum weight on each tyre which is 850lbs on the rear and 530bls front.We aint carrying nothing like this .I will stand behind 30 front and 32 rear as safe and Honda are AHoles .In summer I will go 24 front and 26 rear no problem for handling and grip and can tell you at 36front 42 rear I would not be here for definite.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

24 front and 26 rear
Unless your racing round a racetrack at full chat on a hot summer's day those pressures look lethal for the road :eek2

Its not only Honda that determine the original recommended tire pressures but subsequently the tire manufacturers.

i.e
Follow pressure recommendations shown on the Dunlop Motorcycle Tire Application Guide. Contact Dunlop if year and model are not shown on the current guide and the owner’s manual does not list pressure settings for Dunlop tires.
Dunlop SPORTMAX Q2

120/70ZR17 PSI:36 180/55ZR17 PSI:42

Honda Service manual

Front cold tire pressure: Driver only 36 psi, Driver and passenger 36 psi

Rear cold tire pressure: Driver only 42 psi, Driver and passenger 42 psi
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sportmax are a tyre designed for performance within safe parameters when lowered pressures on track days.
This is because the extra temperature generated by lower pressures, more sidewall flex, raise the temperature, which of course raises the pressure. After a while the pressure rises and this means less sidewall flex, so temps aren't so high, which means......
So it's a sort of self regulating system.
Not all tyres can do this, but it's built into Sportmax and Sportsmart Dunlop's design.
But for myself i find that they run well on the road with a couple of psi dropped; wouldn't go much below that, though, off the track.
On track, maybe 5 psi down, but they grip well enough at 5 down.

I've never dared go much below that; not deliberately, anyway.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Discussing tyre pressure a is a bit like discussing which is the best colour Storm. Everyone is different. Some may be quite happy going with what the manufacturer recommends. But as it it says recommends it does not mean one can't use whatever they want. So many factors come into play here. Type of road surface, temperature, body weight, brand of tyre, riding style etc etc. If anyone ever asks I would just quote them whatever is in the manual.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

Carl is right. When I first checked my tyre pressures (which are also meant to be 36 front and 42 rear) they were 24 front and 20 rear (Genuinely had no idea how this happened. I check them a little bit more now :P). I'd be riding the hornet for about 8 weeks by then, popped them back up to 36 and 42 but I noticed no difference at all within the tyres. Different people feel different things
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Virt wrote:Carl is right. When I first checked my tyre pressures (which are also meant to be 36 front and 42 rear) they were 24 front and 20 rear (Genuinely had no idea how this happened. I check them a little bit more now :P). I'd be riding the hornet for about 8 weeks by then, popped them back up to 36 and 42 but I noticed no difference at all within the tyres. Different people feel different things
perhaps some air escaped, or they were inflated to that pressure. Just a thought :wink: