I've Gone Deaf

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

I've Gone Deaf

Post by VTRDark »

This blasted flu has taken an evil turn. Last night I had a good blow of all the crap out my nose and then squeezed it and blew to equalise my ears, got a massive pop and intense pain in my left ear. Since then it's totally blocked and I've gone deaf. :( I am not happy and had terrible earache last night. At first I thought it's my eustachian tubes blocked with this fluy cold thing. so took some Sudafed hoping it may open things up and let some air in. It didn't work, so I shoved some Otex down my ear in case it was a wax blockage. This seemed to get a little movement and I could hear it moving about as I blink and wobble my jaw from side to side, but I'm still death. :( So I'm left not knowing if it is the middle ear or outer that's the problem. gonna keep shoving Otex down for now and see if thing's improve, but if I'm still death after a week, I think I may have to visit the doctor. I'm hoping I have not damaged my ear drum blowing too hard as that takes forever to heal.

An unhappy cyberman :(

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
geodude

Re: I've Gone Deaf

Post by geodude »

eh?
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
simo

Post by simo »

Be Carefull with Ears M8 you should go to the quacks. I've had this flu/ cold while Boxing Day.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Virt

Post by Virt »

I was really ill last week from a terrible flu and cold and this happened to me, went away after about 3 days and then hearing slowly returned in that ear, about 5-6 days till it was fine (including the deaf days). Get well soon!
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Try an ear strumpet

or louder pipes

Seriously - try some eucalyptus/menthol decongestant in a bowl of steamy hot water with a towel over your bonce to help clear your passages.

or fresh grated horseradish for industrial strength drain cleaning :thumbup:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks guys. Virt good to know the the deaf ear thing defo seems to be an effect of this flu. I guess I shall just have to ride it out.

Wicky you've made me laugh and put a smile on face. horseradish :sick: the Obus oil is good advice I shall have a go at that later before bed. I've been using Golden Cup which is like a Thai version of Tiger Balm but better as it contains Camphor amongst other ingredients. A bit of that shoved up the nostrils burns it's way through and clears the nasal passageways good and proper.

It's not often I get ill but when I do I'm a typical bloke and become a miserable moany old git. More so than usual. :roll:

When I was a kid I used to suffer real bad ear problems with catarrh and stuff and missed out a lot of primary school because of it. I remember my old doctor telling my mum off for putting cotton buds inside my ears (tut tut naughty mum!) She also used to dip a teaspoon in boiling water to warm it up, and then put some olive oil on it and pour inside my ear. That used to be real good for soothing the pain along with a hot water bottle. Once I had my adenoids taken out my ear problems went.

leevtr

Post by leevtr »

geodude wrote:eh?
:lol: :lol: Fcuker, I was gonna say that !!

Still Carl, at least you wont be able to hear Marty begging for help with his bike !!
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

Carl..
Best thing for ears is warm olive oil. Not HOT mind. Pour a small amount on to a spoon and gently warm on the cooker then using the pipett from the Otex bottle put a few drops in each ear as you would with the Otex. Gently massage around the base of the ear to get the oil in to the affected area. Small piece of cotton wool in ear and leave. Repeat three to four times a day. Otex can be to bad for sensitive ears... I know because I suffer a lot with mine...and have had some very painful experiances. Worst being over three weeks off work without pay and having over £30 worth of prescriptions, way back when £30 was a lot of money... Came out of the phamacy with a shopping bag full of drugs..
Hope it gets better soon.... :thumbup:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i'll use sign language lee..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

get down the docs carl, i had my ears cleaned last year, the difference is amazing, now obviously if your a married man i wouldn't suggest this.... :wink:
seriously tho, i reccomend anyone getting it done. they use a little machine that sends fast pulses of warm water to break down the build up of wax, it isn't painfull, but its a strange feeling, and hopefully you wont be death/deaf afterwards..... :thumbup:

get well soon dude, and get your butt round here to work on my bike..... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It could have been marty that gave me the flu in the first place when I popped around for a cuppa. :twisted: Well it was either him or mates little boy. I blame marty as I haven the heart to blame a 3 year old. :lol:
Best thing for ears is warm olive oil....
The olive oil does work, your right as I said in my previous post my mum used to do that for me as a kid. Sometimes the old wifes/grandmothers tricks are the best and the are not old wifes tales and do work.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

get down the docs carl, i had my ears cleaned last year..
Syringing works a treat and is very soothing.

I have had various experience with the quack/nurse with ears being cleaned out over the years. The best is the straight forward syringe with warm water that is used to flush it out. They also have a machine that can do it in this day and age, working on the same principle. But these are only any good if the wax/catarrh is loosened up to begin with. The last time I had it done the doctor sent me to ENT down the hospital and that was awful. The doc pocked his light/magnifier glass thing in my ear along with tweezers or something and picked/scraped the crap out. That really hurt and was an unpleasant experience. :eek2

I shall have a go at unblocking it all myself first. Docs is a last resort or if things don't clear on their own accord after a week.

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

[quote="cybercarl"]It could have been marty that gave me the flu in the first place when I popped around for a cuppa. :twisted: Well it was either him or mates little boy. I blame marty as I haven the heart to blame a 3 year old. :lol:

i did tell you, no tongues................. :sick:
it took me 2 weeks to shift the man flu......... :eek2
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Beethoven went deaf.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Beethoven went deaf.
My fingers still work :biggrin I have edited my post in your DV thread. :thumbup:

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

There seems to be a lot of things going around just lately, get well soon Carl,

Chris.