Installed LINUX its great

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Saintsman27

Installed LINUX its great

Post by Saintsman27 »

Hi everyone I am new to the group but I like to tinker around with my Pc , have two laptops , a compaq Presario running Windows 7, and the other a compaq Evo N610c running Windows XP, well I have dumped XP and downloaded bodhi linux 2.2 from the net. Sould have done it years ago bodhi linux is brilliant ,really quick, and can load what you want on your lappy :D . Definitely rejuvenates an old system and I am more than impressed
with LINUX and problems along the way there are helpfull user forum aid. LINUX is not windows but is addictive
and very user friendly. Keeps me away from dreaming about a VTR har har... so long.. any questions I would try to help.
Alb :lol:
alternative_vtr

Re: Installed LINUX its great

Post by alternative_vtr »

Cheap advert chum :problem:
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

alternative_vtr wrote:Cheap advert chum :problem:
+1. If you actually had a VTR I might have let you off as just having a strange intro, but looks like a cheap shot promotion at the moment
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It does come across that way because of the post count but the OP has posted a welcome http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 27#p242646 A quick search shows up bodhi linux 2.2 has many reviews and info on the net so no need for cheap advertisements. I think the OP is someone a bit geeky when it comes to computers. Linux is a very stable OS with many variations. It has been around for many years :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

Linux is brilliant, I have a lot of friends at University who swear by any of the Unix Operating Systems. I keep meaning to actually install it on my own laptop, but my Computer Science teachers insist I use an IDE that only works on Windows :lol: it's incredibly stable though, and all you need to do is learn C with classes and you can mod it to your hearts extent
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Hi all, I have noted all the encouraging comments on my post seems like I
touched a bit o raw nerve here to some.. sorry if if you feel I was making an advert
from my very first post in this group. LINUX is well documented as you point
out and there are very many operating systems around for evaluation , a usefull and
most informative website is http://www.distrowatch.com for those who may
consider its merits... happy new year to all
Alb
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Can you view pron with it, and play Combat Mission (not at the same time :wink: )?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Virt

Post by Virt »

Wicky wrote:Can you view pron with it, and play Combat Mission (not at the same time :wink: )?
Quite a lot of games can't be played on Linux currently I think. However steam is releasing a Linux version at some point (may already be out) and that may help a bit if they get the developers to join in
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Hi all again. I will reply to some thoughts here. The game " Combat Mission " is not
supported on LINUX crossover programming and is essentially for commercial MS systems
, a guy running 12.10 ubuntu I believed nearly got it to run OK but there were difficulties
I suggest you look at http://www.playonlinux.com there are many FREE , yes FREE downloads..
including " Call of Duty " Assasins creed " etc, plus informative educational software..
all FREE and readily available. " PRON " is available anywhere ..
now split screen programming i.e. screen within a screen is something else and
researching this topic will be a mission for me if I find the answer I'll let you know.
Finally LINUX streaming , well my opinion is that it is in its infancy, although working.
I suggested the member looks at http://www.steampowered.com which is a commercial site
I looked at it and found it to be quite slow and I have a 10 meg BB with a UK national cable
company whose first letter of it s name begins with V.
Finally I do apologise if any members feel I have advertised anything here. remember LINUX
is totally free and open sourced and well I must in earnest find a decent STORM soon.
Alb
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Just kidding with ya - I'm a Mac user so good luck being even more different :cool2 and finding a Storm for when better weather returns :thumbup:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Give the guy a break lads, he's hardly a spammer now is he :eh:

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

What's happened to your dancing V & R Chris? :think:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Oh no, someones killed them off 8O :lol:

I'll have to look into that right away, cheers Kev for the heads up :)

Chris.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Got an old Advent laptop with Vista. Would you install Ubuntu?
darkember

Post by darkember »

The other great advantage about using Linux is that the hackers are less interested in targeting you as so few people use it. Windows is far easier to target with the masses of noobs that use it. :thumbup: I looking at downloading it soon & might throw it onto my daughters machine as a test bed 8) 8) 8)