Harley Davidson

General Bike chat

Harley davidson motorcycles are

Crap, but I have never rode one.
30%
Crap I have owned one and didnt like it.
25%
Crap, because I own a Jap cruiser.
No votes
Good because I have actually rode and/or owned one.
20%
Undecided because I base my oppinion on what people who have never rode one or just don't like them say.
25%

Total votes: 20

StormingHonda

Harley Davidson

Post by StormingHonda »

Having read through the forum for some time, I have seen a lot of people bash Harley Davidsons, not as you know I am the proud owner a 1996 XL1200 Sportster custom and I have owned it over 3 years and would NEVER part with it, but I also love my Sports bikes. I used to be in the school that Jap cruisers were superior and Harleys were rubbish, untill I actually borrowed my friends bike and was sold on one, from then on all I wanted was a Harley sportster, Jap cruisers are not worse than Harleys, but they are like panda cola and Harleys are coca cola, they are the real thing and Jap cruisers do not even come close, and I have owned a fair few cruisers.

So what camp do you sit in, and yes I have a lot of time on my hands.
firestorm1997

Re: Harley Davidson

Post by firestorm1997 »

As a yongster I used to dream of one day owning a Harley...Then I grew up... :p
Friends have owned and still own them, some worth a few thousand and some a whole lot more.
But the one thing they all have in common.. Build quality. or lack of. Mate bought an Anniversary Model 883 Sportster. within months the Box Section swing arm was rusting away.
Another guy spent £15.000 on a Duece. The wire wheels were rotting from the inside out from new...He had them replace under warrenty and promply sold the bike..
I did get to ride the Street Rod. (Vee Rod) in black and knew then that this was not my cup of tea. Stick to what I know and love.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Just a polite ''Not my cup of Tea'' but you don't have that option so I can't vote.

:thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Funnily enough had the chance to ride a 1200 sportster and was impressed by the gutsy torquey engine esp out of corners, which led me to getting the Storm which could handily go round corners, brake and not vibrate to bits leaving a trail of indicators and other oddments in its wake. If I wanted something agricultural and sporty then I'd go for a Guzzi.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Virt

Post by Virt »

Never ridden one, or really spoke about it at length with anyone who has, but they look good and sound half-decent. I'd never own one though, I can already tell it won't be my cup of tea, but I wouldn't turn down the chance to ride one for a short-ish tour just so I can say I've done it and justify my opinion.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

firestorm1997 wrote:As a yongster I used to dream of one day owning a Harley...Then I grew up... :p
Friends have owned and still own them, some worth a few thousand and some a whole lot more.
But the one thing they all have in common.. Build quality. or lack of. Mate bought an Anniversary Model 883 Sportster. within months the Box Section swing arm was rusting away.
Another guy spent £15.000 on a Duece. The wire wheels were rotting from the inside out from new...He had them replace under warrenty and promply sold the bike..
I did get to ride the Street Rod. (Vee Rod) in black and knew then that this was not my cup of tea. Stick to what I know and love.
The Evo Harleys are really good build quality, but just like the other brands ( except Triumph ) cost cutting for profit has seen the quality go down the pan of late.

I have seen this rotting wheel stuff, its a common problem, I know it was an issue with wheels made in Italy.

To be honest I only really like, the sportsters, V rods and Cross bones i'm not sold on the other models.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Wicky wrote:Funnily enough had the chance to ride a 1200 sportster and was impressed by the gutsy torquey engine esp out of corners, which led me to getting the Storm which could handily go round corners, brake and not vibrate to bits leaving a trail of indicators and other oddments in its wake. If I wanted something agricultural and sporty then I'd go for a Guzzi.
Yeah, my Sportster does vibrate like hell, but that to me is part of its charm, its got an old school feel to it, I have never been a fan of Italian bikes to be honest, if I owned a sports V twin I would always pick a Firestorm or SP over a Ducati, and that Guzzi cruiser ( cant remember the name ) just looks horrid, I had the chance to own one a few years back and thought NAH.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Never ridden one, or really spoke about it at length with anyone who has, but they look good and sound half-decent. I'd never own one though, I can already tell it won't be my cup of tea, but I wouldn't turn down the chance to ride one for a short-ish tour just so I can say I've done it and justify my opinion.
+1

They do sound great and if I was going to purchase one it would have to be a Fatboy or something, not a sportstar. But the prices are just too high. I have never ridden a Harley but my Uncle had an imported Honda Magna which I quite liked. I wouldn't like to ride one around town all day though. I think the Harleys really are designed for cruising along straight open roads. Not really my cup of tea. I can can cruise along on a sports bike if I wish, but it also has the power to go faster and be able to swing in and out and through traffic.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Thinking more of a Guzzi like this, rather than a 'cruiser'

Last edited by Wicky on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

I had a learner 125 cruiser and there is a photo of my bike beside an 853 Harley or something silly like that and to be fair mine looks every bit as big.

If it wasnt for the L plates on first glance you wouldnt believe the silver one was a 125.

I did have plans on buying a Harley or a jap version of the cruiser style bike. That did all change when I passed my test and a friend let me borrow his old classic GSXR750 and it opened a whole new world. I could go round corners faster than a gnats crawl and the bike could handle fantastically.

I did sit on the Harley while it was ticking over and I do understand the appeal. The thing on normal tick over had a real thump that was like a heatbeat and the Screamin Eagle exhausts gave the thing a great sound and I did want one at the time. But then I was introduced to sportsbikes.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Wicky wrote:Thinking more of a Guzzi like this, rather than a 'cruiser'

Still would rather have the Firstorm or SP :D
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

pinkyfloyd wrote:
I did have plans on buying a Harley or a jap version of the cruiser style bike. That did all change when I passed my test and a friend let me borrow his old classic GSXR750 and it opened a whole new world. I could go round corners faster than a gnats crawl and the bike could handle fantastically.
The problem for me is I like both, the Harley gives me an old school feel where you enjoy the ride rather than the speed, but I like the feeling of speed and power the sports bikes offer, I always liked the Firestorm as I have a love for V twins because of the feel of the engine, somethign which my Fireblade lacks.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I can see the reason why you it get a sportster or a flat track replica XR as a 2nd bike it the uk..just for thise days when you dont want to be going flat out.

and on my bucket list is a tour of the west coast of America and I would consider it compulsory to do that on a Harley Electra glide.

But I couldn't imagine owing any of the big ones.

As there is no option for that I have not voted :D
AMcQ
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

Had a 1200 Slowster for a bit, good craic for a short blast,loved the torque!
Long spins were as boring a wombles & the vibration killed my hands, (but so did my GS cafe racer)
Ridden a few of the big'uns too & would take my old VLX600 over any of them any day
Maybe I Don't Like Your Bike Either!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I should begin by stating that I have never ridden a Harley. That being said, I have ridden the entire 2008 and 2009 Victory line, a Suzuki C109, a Yamaha raider and a Rocket III. So, while not Harleys, they are direct competition and, dare I say, likely as good or better than the "real McCoy" (judgment based on technical evaluation). I can't say I hated the cruiser experience but I certainly would not dish out money to buy one. Now, I did enjoy the more touring-oriented Victory Vison, it was surprisingly agile for such a big bike. I would add that it would make a pretty good relaxed, long-distance touring platform. I am quite certain that Harley's touring mounts are likely decent also.

As for the run-of-the-mill cruisers (stretched out riding position, ape hangers,....), I would/will never buy one. I rode a C109 for about 300 km in one stretch and had a sore back for two days. If your definition of motorcycling is a short 30 km or less jaunt once a week, then have at 'er. However, as riding to me is more important than being seen riding, I will never buy a cruiser, and, as a matter of principle, will likely never own a Harley (Harley owners around here annoy me beyond belief). I must admit to having a soft spot for the XR1200, though.....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express