Post by VTRDark »

How about this for a job :eek2

[youtube][/youtube]

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
MJONESY

Re: Climbing Heights

Post by MJONESY »

that must be real old video, climbing free hand with a single open hook is the sort of thing that would get you sacked now a days, I work for a company called ARQIVA, they own all the tv and radio masts in the uk, I meet the lunatics that do this for a living quite regularly they say 3 hours to climb a 1000ft mast is good going, the bit that amazes me is that most of these things sway by 10ft plus in any direction at the top. think i would last about 5 mins before throwing up.

although i am supposed to be going up this next summer, fortunately it has a lift that runs right up the inside of it :D tallest freestanding structure in the uk at 1084 ft 8O
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

fook that no way would anyone get me up there no no no :oops:
chric

Post by chric »

MJONESY wrote:that must be real old video, climbing free hand with a single open hook is the sort of thing that would get you sacked now a days, I work for a company called ARQIVA, they own all the tv and radio masts in the uk, I meet the lunatics that do this for a living quite regularly they say 3 hours to climb a 1000ft mast is good going, the bit that amazes me is that most of these things sway by 10ft plus in any direction at the top. think i would last about 5 mins before throwing up.

although i am supposed to be going up this next summer, fortunately it has a lift that runs right up the inside of it :D tallest freestanding structure in the uk at 1084 ft 8O

you used to be able to stand next to that but they stopped it tossers.
It's a good point though to head when I get lost
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
geodude

Post by geodude »

I think I would be able to deal with the height. I love the idea of it, but in reality I'm not so sure. lol

If the opportunity presented itself to go up something that high (aided with a lift) I'd give it a go :thumbup:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I would be OK with the height and a hook to clip on with, but the swaying in the wind would un-nerve me.
i am supposed to be going up this next summer, fortunately it has a lift that runs right up the inside of it :D tallest freestanding structure in the uk at 1084 ft
Don't forget your camera. A 1000ft is a long way to go :thumbup:

Lunch break

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I tried out for a scaffolders job after I left collage .
Day one on the job they sent me up the rigging to the top of Coventry cathedral to inspect the weather vain !
Lets just say there wasn't a day two !
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

we have mast riggers at work. if you don't mind the heights its a nice number. most days of the year there,s something wrong with the weather which means you sit in your truck at the bottom waiting. if you go over a certain height for a certain length of time you can claim "height money" which adds to your dosh at the end of the month. my mate who does it says the only trouble is that your fags don't last long at 600 ft cause its always a bit breezy!
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.