Engine Damage noise.

General Bike chat
StormingHonda

Engine Damage noise.

Post by StormingHonda »

Through all the bikes I have have had, only one has suffered with a damaged engine, I have had a mate blow his bike up before but I can honestly say I have never had a moment of " oh crap that doesnt sound good " Apart from a very feint tap noise when the CCTs were first done on warm up.

In work I have heard defective engines during test, and they stick out like a sore thumb.

So what does a bike sound like when it is about to suffer or is suffering an engine failure, are they one of the sounds where you go " crap " when riding and/or ticking over or are they somethig you need to know what your listening for.
seb421

Re: Engine Damage noise.

Post by seb421 »

i've had engines seize on two strokes but never a catastrophic failure with a four, when my engine oil runs down i get a louder rattle from the CCT chain (APE's fitted)

top it back up and it goes away.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
hugeduck

Post by hugeduck »

seb421 wrote:i've had engines seize on two strokes but never a catastrophic failure with a four, when my engine oil runs down i get a louder rattle from the CCT chain (APE's fitted)

yeh, same here had a couple 2 strokes fook up but never had anything (honda) blow. sappose like anything, as long as its got cleanish oil in and the main things are tip top (CCT's, coolent) then its good to go
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

seb421 wrote:i've had engines seize on two strokes but never a catastrophic failure with a four, when my engine oil runs down i get a louder rattle from the CCT chain (APE's fitted)

They wouldnt be two strokes if they didnt suffer heat seize every now and then :lol:

Got to love a two stroke.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

hugeduck wrote:

yeh, same here had a couple 2 strokes fook up but never had anything (honda) blow. sappose like anything, as long as its got cleanish oil in and the main things are tip top (CCT's, coolent) then its good to go
I have never had a CCT go on a before, but apparently the CBR600 is one of the bikes where they seem to " go " the most frequent, fourtinatley I have heard you get a very loud ticking noise and inline 4 wont eat the engine like the storm.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

StormingHonda wrote:

They wouldnt be two strokes if they didnt suffer heat seize every now and then :lol:

In all fairness it wasn't my fault lol, i was used to the RM250 for what ever reason borrowed a mates RM125 and seized it in a few laps

Few other bits of crap too over time

Mates early R1 has let the CCT go but as said it still runs just very noisy
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

seb421 wrote:
StormingHonda wrote:

In all fairness it wasn't my fault lol, i was used to the RM250 for what ever reason borrowed a mates RM125 and seized it in a few laps

Few other bits of crap too over time

Mates early R1 has let the CCT go but as said it still runs just very noisy
My mate had an Aprillia RS125, I was going to buy it for £100 it was a right off ( everything is a right off when hes finnished with it ) but someone else bought it and it seized within a week, the bike had been sitting and the 2 stroke in it was old.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Humm, Seb honestly why let the oil get low to that point, that is asking for trouble especially if you like to ride on the rear tyre 8O 8O 8O
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I've never had to top up the oil on a bike, even on my Harley, on my Zafira its a different story, juggler drinks oil.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

darkember wrote:

Humm, Seb honestly why let the oil get low to that point, that is asking for trouble especially if you like to ride on the rear tyre 8O 8O 8O

The previous original engine was a lot better than this one with regards to oil consumption, this engine goes from top of the line to the bottom level line in 200 miles

I ran it rich for a while which probably didn't help matters

Have to top it up every week after commuting on it, think it could do with new rings? but ill just keep throwing oil at it for now till i get the Engine work done on my orginal engine by Roger
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

seb421 wrote:
darkember wrote:

The previous original engine was a lot better than this one with regards to oil consumption, this engine goes from top of the line to the bottom level line in 200 miles

Have to top it up every week after commuting on it, think it could do with new rings? but ill just keep throwing oil at it for now till i get the Engine work done on my orginal engine by Roger
200 miles to use that much oil, that just aint right at all, I never had to top up my Storm once when I had it in all of the 4ooo miles, I did one oil change but the oil level stayed the same.

If its burning oil surely you would see this.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

got an r1 ape tensioner if your mate wants it :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

StormingHonda wrote:
seb421 wrote:
darkember wrote:

200 miles to use that much oil, that just aint right at all, I never had to top up my Storm once when I had it in all of the 4ooo miles, I did one oil change but the oil level stayed the same.

If its burning oil surely you would see this.
I put run it rich but I was supposed to put lean, no its not rite, on full throttle it smokes a bit, as said original engine was fine for consumption but can't be arsed sorting this one at the moment

Sent from my mobile telephone
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

good old 2strokes many a weekends pulling the pistons and getting re-bores .
put a hole in a piston once when running glow fuel 34% nitro , it was great till it went pop :twisted:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Why does that not surprise me Lloydie? :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF