Windows 8...

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
lumpyv

Re: Windows 8...

Post by lumpyv »

what you say is right carl, I think the boffs who do development do stuff just because it is possible, not perhaps because its any use.

the guy rolling out this new bit of kit I got reckons there are 5 different ways to toggle between screens ?? why?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Reminded me of the only Microsoft joke I know -
How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, they just make darkness the industry standard!!

If you laughed you are a geek, if you are scratching any part of your anatomy and saying WTF you are a Luddite! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

f you laughed you are a geek, if you are scratching any part of your anatomy and saying WTF you are a Luddite!
I must be in the middle somewhere then as I had to read it twice before it sunk in. :lol:

And I still would never touch any windows OS with a barge pole :sick: :fart1:
The day I am forced to buy a PC is the day I start using Linux.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Rob

Post by Rob »

cybercarl wrote:
f you laughed you are a geek, if you are scratching any part of your anatomy and saying WTF you are a Luddite!
I must be in the middle somewhere then as I had to read it twice before it sunk in. :lol:

And I still would never touch any windows OS with a barge pole :sick: :fart1:
The day I am forced to buy a PC is the day I start using Linux.

I like Windows and Linux.

Apart from Apple which have sold out by ditching the superb risc processor for intel (which means that anyone can run os x - (I have) - on a modern intel cpu) there isn't much option. Apple is a designer label - a classic case of form over function.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They certainly are these day's Apple started going downhill after they lost the Macintosh, rainbow and Steve Wozniak. If I could use my modern day software's on a G4 running OS9 I would :lol: Like many things in this modern world quality goes out the window for fashion and making money at the consumers expense. Today I was on a friends mac running Lion and what a nightmare that system is I was trying to edit a hosts file via terminal and it would not allow it. So turned on invisibles and went into the unix etc folder and opened the host file in a text editor to manually block a batch of ip's and it would not let me save and overwrite the original. WTF. It's all getting to windows like and blocking access to things when in the past everything has been a totally open system to change and modify as one likes. I managed to find a workaround in the end but what a nightmare. Things are going downhill fast to the point where I am just going to wombles all this technology out of my life all together and become a monk or something.

==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

OK all, whats the consensus on Windows 8 now you've had time to adjust to it somewhat :?:

I've read a few peoples opinions of Window 8 now, but I would be interested to hear what you guy's think :)

Chris.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

sirch345 wrote:OK all, whats the consensus on Windows 8 now you've had time to adjust to it somewhat :?:

I've read a few peoples opinions of Window 8 now, but I would be interested to hear what you guy's think :)

Chris.
its ok , cant say its changed my life though. new laptop is a lot better than the old one so i suppose the overall perception is that its good

:thumbup: :roll:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks for your reply LumpyV :)
I'm interested to hear what you guys think after reading Windows 8 is not getting overwhelming reviews, either that or I'm not looking in the right place :lol:
lumpyv wrote:well I thought I did,nt like home vista premium ! but I really don't think me and windows 8 are going to get on :(

It is capable of doing lots of really clever things I don't understand, but has made doing some simple things more long winded. :x

at work I get loads of e mails with document attachments which I have to open, review , modify, approve and send off to a relevant department. with the old system I just amended the doc , closed it , agreed to save the changes and bosh it was done. I could then forward the original e mail with amended document to where I wanted to get the work done. long story short but W8 wont do it. it makes a new document which has to be moved to new file I then have to go back to the old e mail or create a new one and insert the new doc and delete the old doc then send to where I want it.

might not seem a lot but it has actually tripled the time it takes me to do that portion of my work which is not what I want with new "improved" technology.

also as I am unfamiliar with it I cant find anything ?! spect it will get better :thumbup:
Did you find a way around this problem in the end :?:

Chris.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

"
Did you find a way around this problem in the end "

yep , you have to amend the document save it to a file on the desktop, make like you want forward the e mail , left click on the attachment, remove it then drag and drop the amended doc from the file , then send the mail with the new attachment. its ok now i know how to just a little more long winded than the old system.

when you create something on windows 8 and then want to print it out via a vista computer you have to do that file conversion thing which i could,nt do till my daughter calmed me down and talked me through it :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lumpyv wrote:"
Did you find a way around this problem in the end "

yep , you have to amend the document save it to a file on the desktop, make like you want forward the e mail , left click on the attachment, remove it then drag and drop the amended doc from the file , then send the mail with the new attachment. its ok now i know how to just a little more long winded than the old system.

when you create something on windows 8 and then want to print it out via a vista computer you have to do that file conversion thing which i could,nt do till my daughter calmed me down and talked me through it :clap:
:lol: doesn't it annoy you when your children know more about it than we do at times :lol:

Seeing as a it appears Windows 7 is basically "Vista" but a version that works, I'm guessing the same thing will apply to W 7 :thumbdown:

Cheers for the info lumpv :)

Chris.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

sirch345 wrote:
lumpyv wrote:"

:lol: doesn't it annoy you when your children know more about it than we do at times :lol:

well i dont mind really, both my daughters are grown ups ( 22 and 24) so they have grown up with computers as the norm. the one who put me right had had exactly the same problems at work moving her teaching plans from one system to another when she changed schools at the start of this term. makes me laugh when she goes into teacher mode to explain things as simply as possible to me though (she does year 1/2 :lol: )

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The main thing is you have back up with your two daughters, like you say, they have grown up with computers as the norm. :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just bought meself a new i5 lappie through work (wasn't going to pay for it myself) and it came with Win 8, which I had to upgrade to Pro to get it to log onto the network.
Running MS10, so it's about as up to date as I can get right now.

I've had to add extra shortcuts for shutting down and to duplicate the start button, but after a while it seems easy enough. Quite like the idea of just typing the name of an app or program and it brings it up, but of course you have to know the proper name for what it is you're looking for......

But it's fun to have the techs log on remotely and then from habit park the cursor in the corner of the screen, which now does something...open the desktop, bring up charms, etc....

The annoying thing is that we are using TightVC to connect to our server remotely, but it won't run with Win 8 yet, so they're still scratching their heads over that one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers Tony for your input. I had read about replicating the old style "start" button. I've now had a little try of a PC with Windows 8 and I must say I was pleasantly suprised. I didn't think I was going to like W8, but after having a trial run, over time I think I could get quite used to it. As with with most things in technology regarding computer advancements, it's really more about getting used to the new set-up and how to use it I'd say.

Anyway enough about Windows 8, as for me to have that I'll need a new or newer PC. So for now going from Windows XP to Windows 7 will most likely be my next update. Support for W7 looks like it'll be continuing until 2020.

On a different note it looks like according to the rumours :wink: Microsoft will from now on be rolling out a new Windows System/upgrade every year. Another way to make an annual revenue I'm guessing.

Chris.