What's best?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Benno_0214

What's best?

Post by Benno_0214 »

Haven't had the storm for much more than a month, after suggestions from members and also from reading up on here I've decided that I need to get the CCTs done (I'm nervous riding it now). 8O
So which is the best in everyone's opinion? Stopper or manuals? And where do I get them? Is this an ASAP job?
I've read up on the guides and I think in fairly confident as long as I don't do anything wrong, or should I just take her to my local garage? (Will they know what I'm asking for??!)

Would be very grateful for any advice :)
Thanks Ben
Did you just high five me in the face?!?
scott02464

Re: What's best?

Post by scott02464 »

IMO stoppers

As you still get your auto adjustment as well as the piece of mind.

Although the cct can still fail but doesn't damage your engine when they do go.

I have stoppers
Benno_0214

Post by Benno_0214 »

Ok thanks :)!

Might sound a silly question but what happens if the cct does go when I'm riding with stoppers in? Will the bike 'lock up' or still be safe to ride or pull over. The cam belt went on my car a few weeks ago and that wasn't pleasant at 60mph, I wouldn't want the same experience on the bike.
Did you put your own in and was it pretty straightforward, read the guide doesn't seem too bad.

Cheers Ben
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Apparently when they go you would hear a terrible rattling sound, but with the stopper in place there should be no further damage.
I read a thread on here that Benny posted who experienced them going so he would be a better person to let you know what it sounds/feels like.

As far as fitting them when I did mine I found the guide in the workshop knowledge section very helpful! If you follow it step by step you won't have a problem. But fully read up first and understand each step before you start and you'll be fine mate. ;-)
There's plenty of helpful lads on here who are more than willing to answer any questions about doing the stopper mod. Iv done it myself so if I can answer anything your bit sure about ill gladly help ;-)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Stopper for me as well. Best of both worlds...auto adjusting and failsafe
AMcQ
Benno_0214

Post by Benno_0214 »

Ok brilliant, I'm going to read up as much as I can and I will attempt to do the stopper mod when I think I've learnt enough.
Good to know that I will have advice on hand if I get stuck! :D thanks very much!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

For me, manuals are easier, simpler and do the job properly and once.
Otherwise when they fail, although your engine won't be wrecked, you still have to mess around doing the job again with a new one.
But a stopper mod is lots better than taking a chance, so it's one or the other...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.