front sprocket

General Bike chat
toonarmy

front sprocket

Post by toonarmy »

chatting to honda dealer today he said better to get original front sprocket if you can afford it as it has the rubber insert to stop noise and vibration anyone agree disagree i can get it cheaper from david silver
Wicky

Re: front sprocket

Post by Wicky »

Are you sure he wan't refering to the rear wheel cush drive rubbers - can't ever recall seeing an OEM rubber damped front sprocket :confused
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
toonarmy

Post by toonarmy »

go on david silver website you can see from the pic the centreis rubber on the original part mate i was thinking is this a con myself but looks like hes telling the truth
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yep, I never knew that either.

Can't check as I have a DID one.

'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now that's a very interesting. If only they made a 15 tooth then I would consider using a genuine replacement. I suppose one could always use a rubber washer or break the rubber off the old sprocket. I can't see how it would make much noise that would be heard when there is a V Twin engine running. Strange...

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
hugeduck

Post by hugeduck »

i bought one of them xwyr ring chains and sprockets of ebay and it was the cheapest crappy thing ever, i even bought the crimping tool off the same people to mushroom the chain over but couldnt even do it becuase the metal was too hard -_- i had to use two hammers in the end. the rear sprocket is fine but the front sprocket has about 2mm of movement so like the man says a genuine honda item will get rid of the that i'm currently suffering. oem is definately the way forward :thumbup:
Rob

Post by Rob »

I would imagine the outer and inner are bonded onto the rubber (with some internal 'teeth') to aid in vibration and as a buffer of sorts.

I changed from this to a DID set but you can't compare noise/vibration as the old chain was worn and the new one, well, new :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
chric

Post by chric »

call me dumb but where is the rubber insert is it the in or out bit :confused
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
Rob

Post by Rob »

The 'Black' bit in the middle.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
chric

Post by chric »

yeah just had my renthal out and spotted that has not got one is it that much of a issue then
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
popkat

Post by popkat »

The oe front sprockets are made with the rubber part to help pass the drive by noise tests, they are quieter and possibly make the bike feel a bit smoother through the drivetrain..

Cybercarl, it's very possible that there's a 15 tooth front available from another honda model, alot of bikes from the same manufacturer use the same splines. check the JT sprocket guide to find out if there's one the same fitment, is so them order the std honda part.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yup probably cuts noise by a decibel or two which can be easily made up by fitting louder cans to compensate...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
popkat

Post by popkat »

Had a look, here you go, 1994-95 Honda vf750c magna usa model 15 tooth front sprocket, same fitment as firestorm on the JT site, available at dave silvers

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/VF75 ... rt_109446/

Edit....
Just looked again and the part number is the same as the firestorm, the picture shows a 16t, but the magna has a 15t sprocket, If anyone wants one i think you should phone dave silvers and check they have the 15t first.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks for that popkat, notes made and bookmarked away. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
john ps13

Post by john ps13 »

has anyone tried this sprocket yet? does it work with standard chain?
taking the rear wheel off soon for re finishing and new rear brake so going to change sprocket at same time