Aye Aye Stormes

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Dimdunc

Aye Aye Stormes

Post by Dimdunc »

Hi folks just got back into the bike scene after a long time in cars. So went for a clean 2000 Firestorm with 9000 miles on the clock.
Bloody hell these things are like *hit of a shovel :eek2 what have I been missing for the last 30 years?

Just love this bike, looks great, sounds awesome, handles well and best of all ITS FUN :P
Now down to business, have read a lot about its 2 main faults. Rectifier is a no brainer, just change it out. Not so sure about the cct’s, what’s best leave it as it is, fit new auto ones with stops or go for manuals?
Any other advice, hints or tips about the bike will be much appreciated. Off out on the bike now as the sun has just popped out, feel the need to exercise my right wrist (keep yer mucky thoughts to yerself).

Dunc
Wicky

Re: Aye Aye Stormes

Post by Wicky »

Greetings
Not so sure about the cct’s, what’s best leave it as it is, fit new auto ones with stops or go for manuals?
up to you - only problem I see with stopper mod is that you'll need to change em again when they fail, but they are cheap to begin with.

As for manuals here's an overview of your options...

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720
Any other advice, hints or tips about the bike will be much appreciated.
Check out the workshop knowledgebase section of the forum for an overview of all things storm mechanically related.

Plus bung some epics of your storm beastie up and put your location in your forum profile to see if any other storm owner lives locally to ya.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
mr.john.coates

Post by mr.john.coates »

Welcome Dunc :D

- Your avatar scares the sh1t out of me - tell us you don't really look like that?

- CCTs are a serious issue, as they can go at any mileage and failure can be fatal to your motor. Read through the huge number of posts in here on the subject and make your mind up as to the 'stopper mod' a fail-safe feature using the original CCT, or go for replacement manually adjusted ones. Most people opt for manuals. However if funds and bike down time are an issue (and you want to ride now while we've still got a few good days left) you could do worse than do the stopper mod and save up for manuals and do them in the depths of winter. This is the route I've gone. Ok you get to do the work twice, but it's easy and a good intro to the motor. Whatever, but don't leave them to chance.

Enjoy :D :D :D
NT650V in Red
VTR1000R in Blue
Pushbike in Yellow
Wife in Bed
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome, great bike to get back into the swing of things but take it easy as they can be a big old girl to control when you get it slightly wrong.

regarding the CCT's, no mater what age / milage my recomendation is the same.............just fit the stoppers to the CCTs already fitted and then ride it and forget about CCTs. cost = zero ......cost saved = £600.
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

hello and welcome to the forum dude........... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

cost saved = £600
If your valves go crashing due to a failure not manual ccts :lol:

Welcome to the forum. V Twins are fun. :thumbup: Your avatar freaked me out as well at first. :roll:

:beer: :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Welcome and hello :-)
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome aboard matey :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
darkember

Post by darkember »

Hi there & welcome. You have it in a nutshell rectifier on pre 2001 models then its up to personal preference as to Stopper mod or Manuals. personally I prefer the manuals as they look the business, but they both work just fine. For the stopper mod speak to Bazza he makes them. :thumbup:
rapid6

Post by rapid6 »

Greetings
Honda VTR1000....Triumph STR....Triumph Tiger 800.....

UNLEASH THE FURY
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:
cost saved = £600
If your valves go crashing due to a failure not manual ccts :lol:

Welcome to the forum. V Twins are fun. :thumbup: Your avatar freaked me out as well at first. :roll:

:beer: :beer:

(:-})
Welcome Dunc or is it Dim ?

The reason the avatar scared Carl is because he thought he was looking in a mirror ! :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

:lol: :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Rob

Post by Rob »

Welcome Dunc.

Just think of CCT mod as insurance.

I've had my bike since new - 10 years and 25K miles on original rectifier and CCT's. Lots of people have had failures at much less miles than that. Maybe luck or riding style but then again I've read that using engine braking is hard on CCT's and I use it all the time. I changed my front pads for the first time at about 23K and they still had plenty of life left as I use engine braking all the time.

Recently changed my rectifier for a CB125 finned one. Original was still fine.

Will be doing the CCT stopper mod soon. Opinion is divided about stopper mod or manuals, personally I prefer to let the tensioner do it's work and move about as required and it will never need to be adjusted. If it does fail then you will have to replace it but no damage will be done

It's worth it for peace of mind. It's generally a very reliable bike but for very little money you can get it sorted and know that the two biggest problems with the bike (failure wise) can then be forgotten.

My bike has let me down once. I stopped at a chippy on the way home from work and when I came out it was dead. Battery had died and it was only 7 years old :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Dimdunc wrote: Any other advice, hints or tips about the bike will be much appreciated.

Dunc
Welcome aboard Dunc :thumbup:

Any work involving CCT removal make sure you set up the valve timing properly first, see link:- http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

One other very important thing is the swingarm and linkage bearings maintenance, which is quite often overlooked. Have a look here:- http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=11809

Chris.