BOO BOO

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vtrick

BOO BOO

Post by vtrick »

Ok. I'm the author of my own fate on this one, but Just wondering, if anyone has any suggestions. I accidently dropped my earpug, case into the gas tank, I know, dumb. Anyway as soon as I got home I drained the gas tank, took it off and turned it upside down. after a few minutes i fished out the earplug, case. Right, rehooked up the fuel hoses, put everything back together. Started it up, and went for a little, ride. worked fine. So now a week later, i jumped on for a ride, and the motor wont rev at all, stumbles farts and backfires terribly, it will idle all day, but if you rev it up it will bog down and eventually quite, only to start right back up. I checked the fuel hoses to make sure they weren't pinched, and they seem fine, I'm starting to think, I've stirred up some goo that way laying in the tank, and clogged the fuel filter (Anyone know where the fuel filter is ??) Or gummed up the Carbes. Anyone ?????
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Fuel Filter?
Unless there's something integral to the tank I've never seen one :?
Sounds like the mains fuel circuit is blocked.
Take the carbs out and remove the float bowls and check for any forienge matter either floating about or it may look like a plastic film stuck over the surfaces (petroleum spirit does funny stuff to anything plastic base).
on second thought. Before you get that far Start the engine with the top of the airbox off and the filter out. See if the slides are lifting and the needles are clean. If you can't see anything wrong then pull the carbs out and start checking everything from the fuel pipes on in.
Good luck.
Pete.l
freshfunkmeister

Sounds familiar !!!

Post by freshfunkmeister »

Exactly the same thing happened to me a while back. It won't rev, farts, dies, no power etc. Sounds a bit like it is one cylinder also. With mine, what had happened was that I had kinked one of the many hoses going into the tank which was preventing any fuel going into the carbs. Basically, take off tank and double check that all the vacuum hoses are running straight and you aren't crushing them btwn the airbox and tank. Hope this helps. Good luck mate. ! At least you aren't missing any sunny weather !!
As soon as I read about the dangers of drinking too much, I immediately gave up reading.

www.classicreplicasuk.co.uk

All donations will go towards the completion of the car. Thank you.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Sounds similar to mine too. I had plugged the vacuum hose to the wrong side of the tap. Should be on the side of the seat on the horizontal connection, not the vertical one one on the engine side as UnderDog kindly pointed out to me!

Did the earplugs go in too?

To get to the filter, unbolt the tap and slip it off the tank, the filter is the white plastic tube with the slightly meshed plastic on it.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
vtrick

booboo

Post by vtrick »

O.k, thank for the tips, i'll check all that out, and report any findings back to you.
Maybe i'm too think, but what do you mean by... Should be on the side of the seat on the horizontal connection, not the vertical one one on the engine side.
The vacum leads or the larger connections right. they are connected to the tap?? Damn maybe i did get them reversed.
No the ear plugs didn't go in, they were still in my ears.. :oops:
RQ

Post by RQ »

And here was me visualising a nice waxy plug stuck in the fuel line, melting happily with the petrol!! 8O

The vac tube from the rear carb attaches to the side of the tap that your nads are at when riding it!! It is horizontal with the ground, and goes the same direction as the fuel line, I made the mistake of hooking it up to the vertical piece on the engine side of the tap, which had the opposite effect of sucking the diaphragm closed tighter, it would idle a little rough, but as the revs got higher it would shut tight eventually starving the engine of fuel. The other way of checking it is to disconnect the vac pipe (narrow one on the left hand side) from the tank alltogether and run the bike. If it is a little rough, but better at higher revs, then the vac pipe is on the wrong side of the tap. One connection on the tap lets the air into the diaphragm, the other sucks it out.

The pipes that connect from the left (if sitting on it) are the fuel hose (Large) and the vac pipe (Narrow), fuel to the large horizontal pipe on the tap, vac to the other rear side of the tap, also horizontal, same direction, only smaller on the rear of the tap (or the side of the tap on the seat side)

On the right hand side there is only the fuel hose to the tap.

To the tank itself goes the breather hose (small) and the overflow hose (large) they can't be mixed, as they will only fit in the right pipes.

Gawd damn, now I'm nearly confused re reading that!!

It took me ages and a good few explanatons to figure out what I was being told. If you are still stuck and confused, go to the workshop section and look up the post "Cough, Splutter, Stall, Stop" Thats where I was helped out!
RQ.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Erm... I'm confused
RQ said
The vac tube from the rear carb attaches to the side of the tap that your nads are at when riding it!!
What if they hang down both sides in the warm weather :P and up by my collar bones in the winter? :cry:

Pete.l
RQ

Post by RQ »

Oh there had to be one!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
RQ.
vtrick

boo boo

Post by vtrick »

OOHHH, I get it now. there or two places where you can hook up the vac pipe. one directly underneath, and pointing down and between the two fuel lines on the tap. THis is the wrong, place for the vacum pipe. The correct place for the vacum pipe, is on the same side as the fuel pipe, on the left side of the tap (when sitting on the bike) The one pointing down has no pipe to attach to CORRECT. lordy I'm still at work I'll try this as soon as i get home. I'll report my findings. later. Thanks all..
tony.wilde1

pipes

Post by tony.wilde1 »

could always label the pipes ..etc..before you get the tank off!!

:oops: :oops: :oops: like i didnt¬!¬!!!!
vtrick

boo boo

Post by vtrick »

I know i should have labeled them, but who would have thought there would be two places to hook up the vacum hose. :oops:

Anyways I just popped back to let you know, that I moved the vacum hose to the left side of the tap, and bingo, work very best now. Thanks too you all for all your help. Much appeciated, I wasn't looking forward to the Mechanics bill, especially when I'd caused the problem. One agin thanks again...
tony.wilde1

pipes again

Post by tony.wilde1 »

glad youre all sorted mate..wonder what the other little casting pipe thing is for?????? :?
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Glad your sorted VTrick
Anyways I just popped back to let you know, that I moved the vacum hose to the left side of the tap, and bingo, work very best now.
I think I'll have to start all post with:
"Have you put it back together properly?" :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RQ

Post by RQ »

Don't worry Vtrick, I did the same thing, and so did UnderDog. I had the carbs stripped, and was jetting compressed air through them thinking I had a blockage.
Daft design that the two attachments look the same, and without really noting how it came apart, it is sooooo easy to hook up wrong.
Just glad you are back on the road!
(Tony, the other pipe is the inlet for the air on the opposite side of the diaphragm, so when the vacuum hose sucks, it has somewhere to pull the air from) Sucking and pulling, someone has to come back with something about that!
RQ.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

:D He He hee :D
I was tempted to drag you in on my last post.
.....but who am I to name names :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete.l
Last edited by Pete.L on Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.