What Oil?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Rob

What Oil?

Post by Rob »

Sorry, did try searching but couldn't find anything.

Currently using Motul 4T 5100 10W40.

Any reason why I should change? Can get 5L of eBay at the moment for £28.....
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
Steve6088

Re: What Oil?

Post by Steve6088 »

No. That is fine. As long as it's not fully synthetic, it is down to personal choice I believe.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Steve6088 wrote:No. That is fine. As long as it's not fully synthetic, it is down to personal choice I believe.
Cheers, will stick with the Motul then.

I think it smells nice :crazy:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
simo

Post by simo »

Be very careful buying Motul as there's a lot of counterfeit oil about. A mate bought some at an auto jumble and noticed some differences in the measure window down the side to one he bought previously from Busters. But what alarmed him to that was that the oil went dirty black after only 100 miles and he says his oil is normally spotless all the time. So you just don't know what you're buying especially of EBay.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Rob

Post by Rob »

The oil on eBay is from demon-tweeks. Special offer at the moment. Reputable company as far as I know.....

Trying to get a price match from Opie Oils as I like their service and they are usually very competitive.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Rob wrote:The oil on eBay is from demon-tweeks. Special offer at the moment. Reputable company as far as I know.....

Trying to get a price match from Opie Oils as I like their service and they are usually very competitive.
i would use opie if it wasn't to expensive for delivery with the product

a while ago Halfords had an oil sale, i got a few 10w30 Castrol GPS, (semi synthetic) 17 quid each for 4 ltr

hopefully they will have another sale sometime soon :thumbup:
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

castrol power one £29.99 @ halfrauds :thumbup:
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

While sat in the en-suite library the other day I was reading an old Practical Sportsbike mag and they were going through the air /oil cooled GSXR 1100 vs the FZR1000 [5 valve genisis] and in both cases the various experts on these bikes were saying to stay way from the super thin 10w/40 synthetic oils on these old big clearance motors and use a good 10w/40 mineral oil, or at a push a semi synth 10w/40.
and this was the first time I had see a reccomendation to use non synthetic as the best option, but they were adamant that the mineral oil gave a beter oil film in old school engines which have significantly higher clearances than modern bikes and it would run smother and quiter.
And you would have to say the the Firestorm engine is also old school with a design that is not even as highly stressed as those pair of 80's superbikes.

so thats another opionion to factor into your decision........buy the oil from the era your bike was designed!
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think Lloydie uses 10w40 cheap car oil from the supermarket. That's very interesting that Al, as it could save us all a fortune if it's OK to just use 10w40 car oil. So what is the point of synthetic oils?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Car oils aren't designed to have a wet clutch running in the same oil as the engine.
So the additives they can use make the clutch slip.
Equally the bike engine has an integral gearbox, so the oil has good shear properties, Not the case with car oil, which has a separate gearbox.
Car engines have a larger radiator, and so control temperature better than a bike can.
Lastly bike rev higher than cars, again, the oil is designed for car-revs, not bike-revs.

You pays your money and takes your choice, but did I mention that I do engine rebuilds?

Better save my mobile number somewhere safe......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I agree, you should still use motorcyle oil, not car oil, but you can still get mineral oil designed for bikes. :thumbup:
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

mine gets through 1l of car oil every 600 miles and the engine aint going to last much longer its now at 70600miles 8)
but when i get a replacement engine it will be bike oil all the way :thumbup:
rob's red storm

Post by rob's red storm »

I have used cheap car oil in previous oil changes and noticed the clutch did slip of fast takeoffs
Coming up to service time so going to stick some proper bike oil in next to see if there is a difference. My engine has 52k on it now with 30k being done by me with loads of different oils used...
Now where's tony's number for future reference...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I tried halfords brand semi synthetic motorcycle oil at the start of the summer and it gave me bad clutch slip. So I am back on castrol semi, and the clutch is back to normal.
AMcQ
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

Sorry to bring up an old topic. I use silkolene 10/40 in mine. I can't remember whether it's fully or semi synthetic. Why can't fully synthetic be used?