New policy at Sainsburys?

General Biker Banter
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Went to sainsburys this morning to fill up on petrol. As you're all well aware, with the storms small tank it is well worth remaining on the bike to fill it up (especially with a shock spacer fitted).

I tried the pump a few times to get it to dispense fuel. Then somebody came out and said you're not allowed to remain on your bike and fill it up 8O . I explained why I was doing it and he kept repeating "it is company policy" somebody had recently had an accident doing it.

Surely me getting off and having to hold the bike upright with one hand and the hose in the other is more likely to result in an accident? :roll:

I was half expecting to be asked to take my helmet off next

Has anybody else had problems with this?
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

What a jobs worth! Can't stand people like that!

As you say, how on earth do they expect you to hold a petrol nozzle and hold the bike upright....

You should have asked him to hold your bike upright to help. Bet he wouldn't keep coming out if every biker asked for help holding it up right!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I had once . But I told them to piss off as it wasn't safe to do so and they still wouldn't let me have fuel .
So I made him hold the bike up right wile I filled it as slow as I could :-)
He has never asked me to get of the bike since ..
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

lloydiecbr wrote:I had once . But I told them to piss off as it wasn't safe to do so and they still wouldn't let me have fuel .
So I made him hold the bike up right wile I filled it as slow as I could :-)
He has never asked me to get of the bike since ..
Great minds and all that..... :-)
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

You must of posted that as I was typing lol
VTRDark

Re: New policy at Sainsburys?

Post by VTRDark »

Health and safety gone mad :evil: It could be because it's quicker to ride off without paying. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
pariah

Post by pariah »

I was asked to remove my helmet once. I asked why ?. They said that they had been robbed a while ago and it,s company policy now for all motorcyclists to remove there helmets.

I stood there or a couple of seconds just looking at her, with that I said OK THEN and removed my helmet. Should have seen her face when she was now confronted by a bloke wearing a black balaclava and neck tube. Talk about making me look more like a robber now than before. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

Only been asked once to remove helmet, Morrisons, so i dont use them now, never any problems with any other supermarket chain or any branded fuel people, i can understand if theve been robbed, but then if ive filled up, got a twenty in my hand,and my reg has been taken, cctv all over the place, its just a two bit jobs worth of a "manager" doing it for the sake of well, doing it !!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I had this at a Morrisons too. Asked to remove my helmet so I said why should I when people from the middle east can walk in with there face covered so you cant see them, and then also asked to get off the bike. Explained that situation to her as well. She soon shut up and went back inside and then decided to let me have fuel, with my helmet still on and with me sat on the bike.

Hope no one took offence to the first bit about the helmet but hope it proves a point.
aces-high

Post by aces-high »

The having to get off the bike whilst filling up was featured in MCN several years ago when one of the main supermarkets enforced it as a safety issue. Its in case you spill petrol down the engine/exhaust while filling and end up as a human fireball sat on the bike.
The supermarket in question denied it being national policy at head office level and said it was just down to an overly officious health and safety area manager.
looks like the same issue starting to do the rounds again.
I sit on the bike while fuelling to get as much in as possible what with the small tank, but I have had bikes in the past that said not to in the owners manual due to leaking issues.
Steve you'll have to weld a longer length on the side stand. :D
Last edited by aces-high on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Whilst I don't want someone from Sainsbury's telling me what I should shouldn't or can't do, I have never filled up whilst seated on the bike because it is a dangerous thing to do for the reasons given. Also, don't be rude or offensive to the girl/guy in the kiosk, if that's what they have been told to do that's what they have to do. Oddly, in 12 years back on bikes, I've never been asked to remove my helmet.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

boz

Post by boz »

Doesn't matter what silly rule we all gripe about because the truth is......we just don't like officious fiddler, simple as that :thumbup:
CBR900rr Fireblade
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

boz wrote:Doesn't matter what silly rule we all gripe about because the truth is......we just don't like officious fiddler, simple as that :thumbup:
+1 on that Boz :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep.

I've had this a couple of times, I just hold my cupped hand to the side of my helmet and shout loudly "What? I can't hear you, I've got my helmet on" until they stop being so silly.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Not as rare event as I thought it was then. Ill try asking the assistant to hold my bike next time then :D

I think what gets me is that I don't like being told what to do because I am presumed to be utterly incompetent