new tyres :)

General Bike chat
turbo_billy

Re: new tyres :)

Post by turbo_billy »

TonyW650 wrote:Has anyone tried Maxis Supermaxx Diamonds?????
Running them on the "Legends" SP and, again, they do everything you want them to do. Stick well and never had any cause for concern.
Yes, I do rate and recommend Maxxis :thumbup:
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

turbo_billy wrote:
Running them on the "Legends" SP and, again, they do everything you want them to do. Stick well and never had any cause for concern.
If they are ok on your Sp, then they should be ok on the buell lol
Just I asked on the buell forum and kind of got the answer, their cheap and crap!
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

TonyW650 wrote:Just I asked on the buell forum and kind of got the answer, their cheap and crap!
They say the Diamonds can take a bit of getting used too as when you take the lean angle onto the Diamond area, they "squish" a bit as the pattern spreads. Never found it to be a problem myself, in fact never noticed any difference from a "standard" tyre. They reckon they give approximately 30% more contact area when they are cranked over.

And as for Maxxis being cheap and crap, by comparison, cheap tyre they certainly are but if they are good enough for Chris "The Stalker" Walker to use on his race school bikes then they should definitely be good enough for me :lol:
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

they arrived this morning along with the front end paddock stand.
get them put on the buell and see how they feel, just a pain in the butt the back wheel on it.
must start wok on the storm soon aswell
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

turbo_billy wrote:
I use maxxi supersports there okay i would say there just as good as any of the other tyres i have tried but dont cost the earth but there a bit like marmite you either like em or hat em
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Any one know what the going rate is for Diablo Rosso II set fitted to bike?
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
domdom

Post by domdom »

Got maxis diamonds on mine, have to say i was a bit MAXIS really ?? but they have not been any trouble at all.... Will be getting another pair soon as, for the money they cost can't go wrong. But that's just my opion :D :D
Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

I've had 3 sets of Maxis sports touring tyres on my CBF and I've not been able to fault them. The only negative, I've found is the rear seems to wear pretty quickly. 2 rears to 1 front so far, but as there fairly cheap getting a few less miles out of them really doesn't bother me that much.
Flash by name, flash by nature! Woof!

Graham
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

All done on VTRs

Did 700 miles on Maxxis Sport Touring over the winter, well over 100 miles in some very wet roads. I thought they provided adequate performance in both wet and dry. No scary moments. I would not class myself as a street demon but i did get rid of the chicken strip in the dry. I would say if your tyres go square and you have an inch of chicken strip then at £135 a pair they will be sufficient.

Did a track day on worn Road Pilot 3s in cold and some times damp ( my current road rubber). Had the back end drifting into the corners on a couple of occasions but I would not blame the tyre for that. Other than that i could get them up to temperature and managed to get the rubber scrub on the outside edge of the tread with no problems. No issues on the road either.

Did about 100 road miles on RaceTecs (K2 rear, K1 front) in near zero temperature and struggled to get them up to temperature under normal riding. So with i did open the taps cranked over they would squirm about a bit. Obviously, this is not the fault of the tyre and more of a case of the wrong tyre for the job / riding style and conditions. I would not want to ride on these in wet, cold conditions on the road.

In summary, I would say ask yourself what you want from your rubber before you buy them, how hard do you ride and are you out in all conditions? Some people want brand or style, some need high performance, some people just want enough performance. I want a tyre that i feel comfortable within my riding envelop at the best price. i.e. if you ride really hard, you want as much grip as you can afford. If your bike stands up on its own because they are so square, when the tyres a worn out, you could probably get by with a budget brand. They are not like the budget brand from the 80s.

It is a very subjective / personal subject and very difficult to say "this is the best tyre for you" without knowing what and individual wants the tyre to be.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Any one got the New PR4's

Sound fantastic more dry edge grip and better spread of compounds on the rear

[youtube][/youtube]
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Sir-Doris

Post by Sir-Doris »

Thought I would add my two pence :D

I bought a set of Maxxis Sport Touring a couple of weeks back. Have about 800 miles on them. Not a fast rider (been off the bike for 2 years) so still building confidence up again.
Initial impressions are good. Had a couple of very wet rides (200 miles maybe) and seemed to stick quite well. Mostly dry running though and as the confidence builds the chicken strip is getting smaller on a daily basis. No early signs of wear on either the front or rear yet.

A friend has the above mentioned Michelin Pilot Road 4's on his Triumph Tiger and he swears by them as a wet weather tyre but reckons the Pilot Road 3's are better for longevity. 4's are squaring off on the rear after 1000 or so miles. I think he said he generally got 3000ish miles out of a rear Pilot 3.
He is a CBT/DAS instructor though and spends a lot of his time upright and in town but does have a 100 mile commute to work and back on twisty welsh roads.

So I guess style of riding and usage makes a big difference.
I drink Port and I'm not ashamed to say it.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The PR3's square off quick too. The profile is too flat and not round enough. Still it means people buy new ones as they get great reviews everywhere, so good for business :roll: I wonder if Michelin are slipping the magazines some cash. The rubber itself is very good though and in the wet they are superb, just try and keep the bike lent over to extend their life. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
PARSLEYRIPPER

Post by PARSLEYRIPPER »

I have just fitted Diablo Supercorsa v2's @ £280 a pair.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

METZLER M7 RR

THE KING OF ROAD TYRES

Most of the Gixxer gang have swapped over to this new tyre, its wombles amazing, had it on about a month or more now and its simply the best tyre ive ever used no wonder its coming top in the mags

using a 190 / 55 on the rear and the contour and contact patch is amazing
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

:Woohoo: Hi well I am running the vtr on Pirelli Diablo Rrosso II.. front and rear ... bike loves em so
do I , fitted bt B+C at Farnworth .. incredible amount of traction and grip..all good numbers
lads..just run em in .. :thumbup: :thumbup: