new tyres :)

General Bike chat
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: new tyres :)

Post by firestorm_al »

Rob wrote:
firestorm_al wrote:I've stuck a set of Metzeler Z8's on the Monster to see how they compare to the Michelin Road 3's. So far (after getting them scrubbed in) the level of grip in the dry is excellent. Haven't had them in the rain yet.

Al.
Let us know how they compare. I'm going the Z8 way too though I'm more interested in how well they last. Not a good enough rider to notice the difference in any quality tyre - they all feel good to me.......
I had the Monster out at a country garage today for its first MOT. It was the first time I had been out in the wet on the Z8's and I don't think it could have been any wetter up here in Aberdeen!

Anyway, the good thing is that the tyres performed faultlessly in the rain. The feel I was getting from the bike was like I was like I was riding on a dry road, it was only my eyes and leaky boots that were telling me otherwise!

Al.
vtr_jim

Post by vtr_jim »

i had pilot road 3's on my zzr1100, fantastic tyre, warm up real quick and so stable in the wet, no tram-lining, plenty of grip. only thing i didnt like was the look of them, look like racing slicks.....would i buy them again?....without doubt..yes :thumbup:
Phimosis

Post by Phimosis »

got some new Pilot road 2's on today £190 for the 2 hoops, got 3000m out of the last blackies.
She told me she was 16.
rkbn

Post by rkbn »

I am gonna put the cat amongst the pigeons here lol, I have nankang rodiacs front and rear £115 the pair delivered and £30 fitting and I have to say I was very impressed with the reviews they got so I thought I would play guinea pig, even when i had just had them fitted they felt solid now done about 150 miles fully scrubbed in they feel really good even with the damp/wet roads they just want to keep gripping I will keep you all informed on how they progress
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Never even heard of that make, sounds like that Korean blokes dance! Be interesting to hear how they last on the Storm. Good luck.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Kev L wrote:Never even heard of that make, sounds like that Korean blokes dance! Be interesting to hear how they last on the Storm. Good luck.
Think I'll stick with industry wide tried and tested Michelin and Bridgestone,
As we know ow you get what you pay for and given they are the only point of contact I want the bike to have with the tarmac ill pay out for a tire that ensures that lol

Wouldn't be a guinea pig for a cheap tire unless they paid well

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

£115 the pair
Never heard of them. At that price I do wonder about the quality of rubber and how long they will last. But to remain open minded about it, I would be willing to give them a go for that price. Maybe if they had to advertise the way Bridgestone and Michelin do they would then have to charge twice the price. After all, I will ride with bald tyres on wet roads for as long as I can afford to financially, to buy new ones. I have a feeling that these tyres will be a bit like Maxxi's.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Phimosis

Post by Phimosis »

stop moaning about tyre prices....wish you owned a Veyron....GULP..........
http://www.tyrepress.com/News/business_ ... 18526.html
She told me she was 16.
rkbn

Post by rkbn »

I had not heard of them until I saw my mate with them on his Nissan skyline (725bhp) and when i questioned him as to why the fook he had nankangs on his reply was "how can so many Japanese street racers be wrong", apparently nankangs are the dogs dangly bits for racers in japan, so with that in mind and the reviews they got I thought I would give them a shot, if I get burned with the old buy cheap buy twice thing then so be it but if the gamble pays off then the money I have saved on tyres I can put in my tank :-)
seb421

Post by seb421 »

rkbn wrote:I had not heard of them until I saw my mate with them on his Nissan skyline (725bhp) and when i questioned him as to why the fook he had nankangs on his reply was "how can so many Japanese street racers be wrong", apparently nankangs are the dogs dangly bits for racers in japan, so with that in mind and the reviews they got I thought I would give them a shot, if I get burned with the old buy cheap buy twice thing then so be it but if the gamble pays off then the money I have saved on tyres I can put in my tank :-)
sound a bit pants to me

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/to ... 5&d=0&nmt=
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
T8ull

Post by T8ull »

Saw a CBR with maaxis tyres fitted. The sidewalls looked great.
Any comments,
.........So far, so good, so what!
Malordus

Post by Malordus »

Kev L wrote:My last set were Avons and I had no problems with them. I only went over to Dunlop Qualifiers on advice from my tyre guy. Very happy with them as well.
Kev! I was thinking about switching to the qualifier 2's, various reviews I've read have them down as great performers in the wet and even better when the tarmac is sun-kissed (not that it makes a difference mind, not with our summers...).
How long have you had them on, how do you get on with them in the wet?
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Apparently, not as good as BT 023`s but better than AVON Storms.......have a read (scroll down to page 16, about half way, for the results to start)

http://www.nankangmoto.com/MTC_test_Nan ... nglish.pdf
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

my mates got a 180bhp zx10r and he swears by the maxxis supersport tyre.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
adyf

Post by adyf »

Just had Avon 3d ultras fitted by mate,supersport front sport rear,been out for an 80 mile blast, scrubbed in nicely ,may not seem the obvious choice but the grip especially from the front is bloody awe inspiring ,they feel so safe,balance and drop in is so smooth and predictable ,can highly reccommend these tyres and they're British,good enough for me.