Help fitting Manual CCTs

General Biker Banter
Steve6088

Help fitting Manual CCTs

Post by Steve6088 »

I have got some manual CCTs to fit. Would anybody be available this weekend to guide me through fitting them.

Reading the guide I am not 100% confident doing it myself. I would probably have a bash at it myself but I'm going touring europe on the bike on the 24th and could do with somebody more competent than myself double checking, if I am doing so many miles.

I was hoping a local workshop day would come up before the trip. Help would be greatly appreciated :D
leevtr

Re: Help fitting Manual CCTs

Post by leevtr »

Would mate but I'm not really round the corner.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

I did mine following all instructions in the workshop section without to much trouble...
Before you do attempt it, make sure you can remove the alternator inspection cap which is made from soft cheese and has a tendency to seize solid. Replacement caps can be purchased from David Silvers..you may need one.
aces-high

Post by aces-high »

Hi Steve I should be available this weekend ( don't think I'm working ) to give a hand. I'm not the greatest mechanic but I did mine with no problems.
agree with firestorm1997 about the alternator caps make sure they come out fine beforehand, I had to order some new ones as they had been overtightened/under greased and locked solid!
I'm a slow and steady worker lots of coffee and chin scratching
You have all the needed tools/stand? gaskets/locktight ect?

I'll be up for a northern (flat cap n' whippets optional) workshop day sometime but I only have a small shed so wont be able to host one.
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

aces-high wrote:Hi Steve I should be available this weekend ( don't think I'm working ) to give a hand. I'm not the greatest mechanic but I did mine with no problems.
agree with firestorm1997 about the alternator caps make sure they come out fine beforehand, I had to order some new ones as they had been overtightened/under greased and locked solid!
I'm a slow and steady worker lots of coffee and chin scratching
You have all the needed tools/stand? gaskets/locktight ect?

I'll be up for a northern (flat cap n' whippets optional) workshop day sometime but I only have a small shed so wont be able to host one.
That would be absolutely great. I do have everything ready to go. Ill send you a pm
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Its easy really, follow the guide and you wont go wrong, knowledgable help is always good though. that alternator cap is the biggest pain, best method is to drill a 5mm hole a few mm deep at the 9 o clock position so a chisel/punch can get a purchase and clout it round with a hammer. :thumbup: