Anyone use a bike mover

General Biker Banter
tasum

Anyone use a bike mover

Post by tasum »

Hi there

I'm thinking of one of these to help get the bike in and out of a small garage.

Not got a storm yet, but working on it :D

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=902816

Anyone got one/used one? Is there a cheaper alternative?

I've seen the disc type, but I'd prefer a paddock stand version so I can use it as one as well.

Thanks for your feedback.
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Flatline

Re: Anyone use a bike mover

Post by Flatline »

GET A STORM FIRST!!!

Then we can discuss it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

You can get a puck for the sidestand which is two plates with a ballbearing in the middle. I daresay an old wheelbearing would do to. Just pivot the bike on that and turn 360 degrees.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

tasum

Post by tasum »

Flatline wrote:GET A STORM FIRST!!!

Then we can discuss it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for that, only been out with you a few times, but already I almost have enough bits for a whole bike :D

cheers Stratman, will have a think about that, but as Flatty knows my mechanical skills are pretty naff and he won't make me one, so I'll keep thinking, cheers
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can just lean it on the sidestand and spin it round, lifting both wheels off the ground.

But not on Tarmac.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tasum

Post by tasum »

tony.mon wrote:You can just lean it on the sidestand and spin it round, lifting both wheels off the ground.

But not on Tarmac.....
Cheers Tony, seen that on ootube, but just fancied this for me and maybe even the wife, so she can move it about in the garage. I'm not just addicted to buying gear, really I''m not :eek2

Seems like a neat solution despite the high cost, but can use it as a paddock stand as well, so the rear one I've just bought is going to be swapped for a front one.

Flatty says he'll show me how to park at speed :D
aces-high

Post by aces-high »

A problem with these is that I found you need a very smooth floor surface like that laminate shown in the video. rough concrete, paving slab joints ect would be a nightmare.
tasum

Post by tasum »

aces-high wrote:A problem with these is that I found you need a very smooth floor surface like that laminate shown in the video. rough concrete, paving slab joints ect would be a nightmare.
good point, will have a think. my garage floor is pretty even. thanks for the info tho :)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

aces-high wrote:A problem with these is that I found you need a very smooth floor surface like that laminate shown in the video. rough concrete, paving slab joints ect would be a nightmare.
+1 on that. Also all it is, is a glorified paddock stand which are not the most stable thing's in the first place. And like in the video, it's better to have two people when putting a paddock stand on or off a bike.
but just fancied this for me and maybe even the wife, so she can move it about in the garage
And you would trust the wife doing this :roll:

Have fun. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tasum

Post by tasum »

cybercarl wrote:
+1 on that. Also all it is, is a glorified paddock stand which are not the most stable thing's in the first place. And like in the video, it's better to have two people when putting a paddock stand on or off a bike.
but just fancied this for me and maybe even the wife, so she can move it about in the garage
And you would trust the wife doing this :roll:

Have fun. :thumbup:

fair point, but I was only thinking she could move it a bit to get to her stuff.

still be useful for me to get it in at the back. I've emailed them for more info. thanks for the feedback :)
aces-high

Post by aces-high »

If I was going to buy a bike mover I would be tempted with one of these type
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/46362

Not a paddock stand I know and a fair bit dearer but a friend of mine built his own version out of wood and industrial castors for a reasonable price, just a bit of DIY skills needed.(can't be hard cos he's useless at DIY) He made two, one for each of his bikes then added some tie down straps and now can spin them about the workshop.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tasum wrote:
fair point, but I was only thinking she could move it a bit to get to her stuff.

still be useful for me to get it in at the back.I've emailed them for more info. thanks for the feedback :)
What would she be doing putting cooking utensils behind your bike for???
On the other hand, if she lets you in at the back it's probably worth a bit of humping about.

What?
:confused
What did I say this time?
:oops:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tasum

Post by tasum »

tony.mon wrote:
tasum wrote:

still be useful for me to get it in at the back.I've emailed them for more info. thanks for the feedback :)
What would she be doing putting cooking utensils behind your bike for???
On the other hand, if she lets you in at the back it's probably worth a bit of humping about.

What?
:confused
What did I say this time?
:oops:

The back of the garage is her naughty corner, so she needs constant access.

As far as rear access is concerned that's never been an avenue of genuine interest for me :)

Plus I tend to do all my humping in the garage alone nowadays. In the good old days I didn't need an excuse to whip out my tools in the middle of the day for a bit of inpromptu bonding and screwing. Now, I get a dirty look if I reach for my bag while the telly's on.

Stiil that's life and they do say if a job's worth doing it's best done properly, by yourself :D

Hope this clarifies the situation.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol: You should fit into this forum very nicely. :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of a certain Tankslapper with posts like that. :thumbup:

==============================Enter the Darkside
tasum

Post by tasum »

cybercarl wrote::lol: :lol: You should fit into this forum very nicely. :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of a certain Tankslapper with posts like that. :thumbup:

Cheers Carl

Flatline, aka The Roadsweeper, taught me everything I know :p

He's been a very bad influence in my life for too many years to admit to....... If we could only get him to stay on his bike... :biggrin