Decent MPG on a 'Storm!

General Bike chat
Rob

Decent MPG on a 'Storm!

Post by Rob »

My new job is just over 32 miles away so I was surprised after using the 'Storm for 2 days that the fuel light hadn't come on.

Went and filled her up and was amazed that I could only get 12.5 litres in, and that's to the brim.

130 miles, 12.5 litres = 47 MPG!

It's a commute, so pretty relaxed riding but definitely not hanging about, and it's probably 30% low speed roads, 70% fast roads.

:thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
Tail

Re: Decent MPG on a 'Storm!

Post by Tail »

Im with you on this one Rob, i'm not the slowest of riders, but keeping the bike between 4 and 6k on the revs, which as you all know is above 100mph in top i get between 94 and 98 before the light comes on, i usually fill up at 110 and all i get in is £13, this means i've got another gallon left, thats another 40 mile at least.
Catch me if you can
simo

Post by simo »

+1 on that. Use the Torque in the wright way and keep the revs down and you still won't be the " tail end Charlie" :biggrin . The price of fuel it's worth a try.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

April has gone and passed gentlemen :lol: :wink:
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

I get around 77 before it comes on but hit the rev limited a lot :twisted: :)
Loud pipes save lives!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I was on the 70mpg and now it seems I'm getting 80ish. I don't redline much :roll: but I don't hang around, especially wizzing in and out traffic in town. I think with, playing with mixture again I might improve things. Gonna turn out another quarter turn and see what happens.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

I was more like VTRKidda but recently Ive turned to riding the torque a bit more and getting low 90's before the light :D. But, last year she took about £14ish to fill her 16l tank. But now its up in the £18ish!
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

I use mine for the ride to work, so I accept your challenge - the back lanes are in such bad condition trying to ride them fast is like a near death experience anyway!

Okay, so I've brimmed her tonight and reset the trip.

Game on!
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

cybercarl wrote:I was on the 70mpg and now it seems I'm getting 80ish. I don't redline much :roll: but I don't hang around, especially wizzing in and out traffic in town. I think with, playing with mixture again I might improve things. Gonna turn out another quarter turn and see what happens.

Seems your carb fettling is costing you mate. I got 110 to the light Saturday. Seems a bit better with these cans to, unless its my imagination.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Vtrkidda wrote:I get around 77 before it comes on but hit the rev limited a lot :twisted: :)
Is your trip reading correct though, as you changed sprocket have you not ??
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Unless he's over toothed her he'd be getting more miles based on your theory. But Im 1up on rear and 1down on front. Whilst the mph/miles are off it makes no odds as the engine is revving harded. Ive has the light on at 60something miles when wheely'ing her tits off and costant redline chasing 'blades.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Seems your carb fettling is costing you mate. I got 110 to the light Saturday. Seems a bit better with these cans to, unless its my imagination.
110 is amazing.
I'm actually getting about 10 more miles out of it since fettling and she is running a lot smoother. I thought I could smell a bit too much fuel vapour earlier on, so think she is still running a bit rich. So I'm gonna whip the carbs back off and unscrew mixture another quarter turn to see how this affects things.

I do always as soon as the light comes on find the nearest petrol station and normally put about 12L in costing about £17 :(

tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

Hey, Carl, just a thought, have you tried pushing that little black knob in, the one down by your left knee :wink:

*ducks*
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Quack Quack :lol: :lol: WTF

If it is running rich I would be better off pulling out a bit to give it a bit more air :lol: but then it would idle too fast and burn more fuel that way.

It's just a case of having fun (learning/experimenting) playing around at the moment until I fit pro jets and get dynoed.

charlie2ie

Post by charlie2ie »

I was getting 90 miles to the fuel light, put a new air filter in, now I'm getting 106 or there about. :D