Bloody unbelievable

General Biker Banter
playerone

Bloody unbelievable

Post by playerone »

benny hedges

Re: Bloody unbelievable

Post by benny hedges »

thats terrible. i hope they give her compensation for it too, just to add insult to injury. :thumbdown:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

thats very sad, tbh its a tough call, on one had your actions having taken another persons life, but it wasn't intensional, then you put yourself in the car drivers shoes, does prison time seem harsh for a momentary lapse in concentration, something we are all guilty of from time to time. i just hope this woman has the guilt of living with this for the rest of her life.
people have to start realising that they need to concentrate 100% of the time when they are behind the wheel. as bikers we have to....
as i said at the start very very sad story, maybe a prison sentance is needed to set a presidence where vunerable bikers are concerned. if the woman had knocked down and killed a child would she have gone to prison?
or have i just got a chip on my shoulder.....
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

Very sad story.

I think anyone who causes a serious accident should have their licence instantly suspended and then forced to do a retest, as they do with youngsters who get too many speeding points in the first year or two.

Just because you're "old" doesn't mean your driving is any better, in fact it could be far worse (easier test when you got your licence) and a lifetime of bad habits.

As Marty says, on two wheels you have to have your wits about you 100% of the time, and some of the habit you pick up from motorcycling have saved me from quite a few accidents when I'm driving the car (I still do life savers for example).
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

when I'm driving the car (I still do life savers for example).
I very rarely drive a car these days, but I find myself doing that as a passenger all the time.

In my opinion prison is not the answer unless she is a totally straight (normally) law abiding citizen. Then stick in prison with a bunch of gang bangers :lol: Losing licence for a few years and then having to do a harder re-test is a better option and then have it on your insurance for 10 years. The insurance is the real wombles, I know that from experience. Hit them where it hurts, in the pocket. She will probably live with the guilt for the rest of her life, unless she's like me who has little empathy for people outside their circles or can switch it off/ignore it.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

we should be used to the lightweight sentences people get when taking us out! still fecks me off :evil: the question you should ask is, had the biker ran the woman over and killed her from a moments lapse of concentration what would the sentence have been! picking the feckin soap up :evil:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's only recently that they have started giving larger sentences to people who kill by driving though not in this case. There was a time when you could virtually get away with murder being drunk behind a wheel. I wonder how the outcome would have been if she was over the limit.
I still don't think prison is the answer though. They are vastly overcrowded and costing us taxpayers a lot of money to keep them there. How about bringing back the stocks. :wink: or :Chop: :roll:
The report says the biker could not avoid the crash. Now I usually always side with the biker as a fellow biker. But I do wonder if he was watching/reading the road and it's dangers properly. What speed was he doing, was he wearing any high viz for instance.

Ride Safe. :thumbup:

tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

cybercarl wrote:The report says the biker could not avoid the crash. Now I usually always side with the biker as a fellow biker. But I do wonder if he was watching/reading the road and it's dangers properly. What speed was he doing, was he wearing any high viz for instance.
She may have been turning right from a left hand junction and simply froze when she saw the bike coming, rabbit in the headlamps style, blocking the road.

I've had someone do that to me. She was driving a convertible with the top down, so could hardly claim her view was obscured (not that that is an excuse). Luckily having the two wheelers 6th sense of spotting an idiot, I had noticed her head doing the full left lock to full right lock rotation without any delay or stop as she faced me, so I was off the gas (this was on a CBR6, so it wasn't scrubbing 20mph per second on engine braking like the storm) and got ready to go round behind her. Sure enough she pulls out across the road. Then sees me, and stops dead! Worst case scenario! I grabbed a huge handful of brake, stood up on the pegs and I remember picking the area of the car I would most like to collide with (I opted for the door as it has more give than a front wheel, with the added bonus that I might head-butt her on the way over).

Unfortunately I didn't get to head-butt the blind moron, I came to a halt approx 6 inches off the door in a huge stoppy.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Close call mate pheww. Unfortunately that is the most common scenario for a motorcyclist being knocked off. Someone pulling or turning right onto a road. :( I have had it happen to me numerous times while working. And I have had even more pedestrians stepping out from in front of buses, lorries, vans in slow moving, traffic jams. I am extra cautious these days and don't ride at 20-40mph on the centre line/other side of road filtering past the traffic in town anymore, especially when there is left hand sideroads.

tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

cybercarl wrote:Close call mate pheww. Unfortunately that is the most common scenario for a motorcyclist being knocked off. Someone pulling or turning right onto a road. :( I have had it happen to me numerous times while working. And I have had even more pedestrians stepping out from in front of buses, lorries, vans in slow moving, traffic jams. I am extra cautious these days and don't ride at 20-40mph on the centre line/other side of road filtering past the traffic in town anymore, especially when there is left hand sideroads.

I've had to force my way through pedestrians who just kept walking out in front of the bike in a continual stream across a junction. They weren't even looking, just followed the person in front like a huge centipede - That's school kick-out time for you.

Then again, I've had to do that in the car too, but that was Piccadilly Circus, so kind of expected, but also a good way of cleaning your front bumper, head lights and number plate - against the legs and coats of the bloody tourists!
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Loud pipes save lives :twisted:
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

since putting the ever so slightly loud exhausts on my bike :wink: , even car drivers pull out of my way on dual carriageways :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

bigspanishmarty wrote:since putting the ever so slightly loud exhausts on my bike :wink: , even car drivers pull out of my way on dual carriageways :thumbup:
Blue headlamp bulbs have the same effect :mrgreen:
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

Snoogle wrote:Loud pipes save lives :twisted:
:shifty: yep thats what i say and also eye for a eye :( :x
Loud pipes save lives!
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Vtrkidda wrote:eye for a eye :( :x
COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!