Garage floor

General Biker Banter
StormingHonda

Garage floor

Post by StormingHonda »

I am gradually turning my Garage into a mini workshop, I want to be able to paint the floor, the problem is that it isnt smooth, but ridged, I spoke to a builder and he rekons the only way to " smooth it out " is to dig it up and relay the floor, which he says is WAY over the top just to have a smooth floor, he also said he cant lay concrete ontop as he needs to lay two inches and there isnt the le way to do that, hes been looking at floor sealers but says he cant find anything.

Anyone with the same problem and soloution.
firestorm1997

Re: Garage floor

Post by firestorm1997 »

just put some old carpet down in mine..... :thumbup:
lloydie

Garage floor

Post by lloydie »

I to put carpet down :)
I'm no builder but I would of thought you could skim it or get the gipos to Tarmac it lol
seb421

Post by seb421 »

StormingHonda wrote:I am gradually turning my Garage into a mini workshop, I want to be able to paint the floor, the problem is that it isnt smooth, but ridged, I spoke to a builder and he rekons the only way to " smooth it out " is to dig it up and relay the floor, which he says is WAY over the top just to have a smooth floor, he also said he cant lay concrete ontop as he needs to lay two inches and there isnt the le way to do that, hes been looking at floor sealers but says he cant find anything.

Anyone with the same problem and soloution.
wombles that, empty the garage, mix up some cement your self and just skim it over fill in all the ridges i might not be 100% but it will be a lot better, have you thought about laminate flooring?

piece of piss to cut and lay down, just get some good quality underlay, you can see bolts on the floor easy too.

i have carpet in the garage i wombles hate it.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

Tried the skim of concrete with my old garage and it cracked out in 6 months, you can get industrial self leveling compounds, not cheap but hard as nails, failing that just seal it, paint it and live with it, which is what I've done with my new garage
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Self Levelling Compound is the way to go.

Just been checking this out meself.

One 25kg bag at £17 (prob + VAT) will cover Just over 1 m sq at 50mm thick. So yes it is bloody dear. 8O

Oh & you need a primer to go down first more ££££'s

Now chances are you wont need it 50mm thick so it will spread out a bit

You just have to work out how big the area is. Unfortunately the floor in the new Mac Cave extension is 10m sq so I won't be buying that as the costs just go up & up......Bit like owning a Storm really.

So Plan B.... Mix up a strong cement mix ie heavy on the cement, light on the sand. Skim it over to take the worst of the ridges & furrows. Lay an old carpet down then put 8x4 shuttering ply down. If the ply gets rough over time its easy to pull up & replace. This also means that as you wont be directly walking/working on the cement so it should hold up longer.

IMO laminate may look nice but unless you go for kitchen/bathroom stuff it wont last the rigours of a garage will soon start to look sh1t & then you will have to replace it.

If you do go with the higher grade you'll have to spend so much on it you wont want to do anything in the garage for fear of damaging it.

You want a workshop or an extra room to hide in away from the house? At the end of the day Laminate is not designed/intended for workshop floors.

Now whilst I agree that Laminate is easy enough to lay, why is it I see so many badly laid floors on peoples houses/flats? Oh yeah I know.......

A/ They always buy the cheapest shite boards they can get.

B/ They are all numpties & don't lay it correctly.

Mac.

Plan C. as an afterthought, you can get rubber mats that lock together for workshop floors, something like that may be worth looking into..

Easy enough to find.

Google 'Workshop Flooring Tiles'
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

I would just board it out with these myself, be warmer to work on than concrete, wont need repainting every 12 months and not overly expensive.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECYCLED-PLAS ... 337wt_1037
slipper 1

Post by slipper 1 »

How about renting a concrete grinder/sander to take the ridges out then epoxy the floor. At least that way its permanent
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

MJONESY wrote:I would just board it out with these myself, be warmer to work on than concrete, wont need repainting every 12 months and not overly expensive.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECYCLED-PLAS ... 337wt_1037
Not that cheap TBH at 34.80 per board + delivery ? I would need min of 4 boards 140 + del ouch.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

slipper 1 wrote:How about renting a concrete grinder/sander to take the ridges out then epoxy the floor. At least that way its permanent
This has gotta be the way to go mate :thumbup:
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
toonarmy

Post by toonarmy »

selflevel compound then put some carpet down mate easiest and cheapest way to do it builders tring to take your eyes out god tradesmen are giving us honest guys a bad name :thumbdown:
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Best gear out there is stuff called Rederoc GP. It's is expensive, but its made for this type of problem. only goes down in 2mm to max 15mm thick. see if you have any builders mate who can get it from the travis perkins/keyline stores with their discount.. Comes in 15kg bag and you just add water, mix well then plaster to floor.. can then be painted over in a couple of weeks once its cured properly.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

toonarmy wrote:selflevel compound then put some carpet down mate easiest and cheapest way to do it builders tring to take your eyes out god tradesmen are giving us honest guys a bad name :thumbdown:
I have shag pile in my shed, all I can say I love it when I have to lay on the floor to work on the bike; the difficulty is getting back up.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

toonarmy wrote:selflevel compound then put some carpet down mate easiest and cheapest way to do it builders tring to take your eyes out god tradesmen are giving us honest guys a bad name :thumbdown:
The builder told me not to concrete as its going to be expensive ( he will need to dig it up ) and skimming wont last very long, hes looking into doing it cheaper way of doing, like epoxy/sealing, which is why I posted, plus to see if other people have managed or failed and how
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Get one of the polishing nerds round with their Dremel.

Won't save you any money, though.

After a lot of consultation and testing they'll decide that the correct polishing compound is made of unicorn jism, cut with dodo beak powder.

Putting in a shiny floor will just mean that you slide all the way to the bench at the back when it's raining, and wheelspin all the way out if it's a foggy day.

Any slippery substance like oil or chain lube, or coolant will always puddle under your boot as you try to put it on the stand, and any overspray from polish will leave it lethal.

I use carpet, after a while you can wring it out and re-use any oil.

And you'll never get rusty knees!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.