Fork height

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jonacol

Fork height

Post by jonacol »

I'm starting to rebuild the front end of the VTR, forgot to measure how much fork tube protrudes from the top yoke before disassembly, doh! Can some kind soul give me the dim, top of yoke to top of tube or top of yoke to top of ally preload cap doodah.
ta muchly,
JonC
Jester666

Re: Fork height

Post by Jester666 »

I've dropped my yokes a bit (helps the bike turn in a bit faster! :thumbup: ) so I have 10mm from the top of the clipon to the top of the tube.
Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat!
Silver 1998 'Storm! That keeps trying to kill me! And is leaving me soon! :(
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

As standard the forks drop through so that the clip-on sits above the top yoke, there's a little wire circlet that sits on the fork leg, let that drop onto the clip on so that the leg can't drop through any more.

But as said, leaving them 5mm or 10mm higher feels much better.
If you have a 6mm or larger spacer under the rear shock top mount, 10mm might make it prone to slappers, depending on your weight riding style and front fork springs.
Try 5mm and see what you think before going further.

Take a few corners to get used to it, or you can clip the inside curb....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Cheers fellas I'll go gentle after the rebuild. Rear has a proflex so not sure how thats affected ride height, handle sweetly before my spannering, should have taken note, ho hum.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jonacol wrote:Cheers fellas I'll go gentle after the rebuild. Rear has a proflex so not sure how thats affected ride height, handle sweetly before my spannering, should have taken note, ho hum.
In that case Jon, you'd better get in touch with Del :)

Chris.