Insurance help

General Bike chat
seb421

Insurance help

Post by seb421 »

im covered for riding other bikes with MCE and use my dads blade a fair bit making full use of the riding other bikes policy

if the MOT is up on my bike can i still use another bike?

i'm thinking as long as it has tax, insurance, MOT and is privately owned its okay?

It's gona take them a day or so do the wheel bearings so i'm gona be without a bike if not.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Stratman

Re: Insurance help

Post by Stratman »

Yes
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

Yep as long as the other bike has valid insurance to some one else if it hasnt Nope will be covered 3rd party :thumbup:
Loud pipes save lives!
Opel

Post by Opel »

I would be cautious in relying upon a policy that allows you to ‘ride and bike’ because you will no doubt find that this is discretionary and is reliant upon you informing the insurers of your intent to use another machine. This will only come to light, if you ever try and claim. I’m not trying to piss on your parade, but I would make some casual inquiries.

Incidentally, I’ve just spent half an hour on the phone arranging a multi bike policy… why should I bother, if I’m insured to ‘ride any bike? The fact is I wasn’t and therefore I can’t, on my existing policy ride any bike!

The whole industry is a snake pit… and you the consumer represent the one that’s going to get bitten, and so, in best Hill Street Blues fashion… ‘just be carefully out there!’

At the end of the day I don't know the correct answer to your question, and I would be careful in relying upon information gained on the internet, your best option is to contact your insurer, and expect an answer that you're probably not going to like.

:D
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

+1 on that..

Insurance companies are in it to make money, if they can get out of paying for anything they will.. Check everything before you do get bitten..
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Yes I know I'm coverd 3rd party, and yes opel you can use what ever the hell you want as long as its privately owned, taxed Insured and mot

Made sure I got it in an email from them when I first borrowed the blade I carry that and my documents incase I get a tug so I don't have to go down the station to prove insurance
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Opel

Post by Opel »

Was that just a test then? You knew the answer all along... guess I failed. Lets hope you do not ever have to try it out for real... good luck. :D
seb421

Post by seb421 »

no it wasn't a test mate,

glad i just checked with MCE too

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately this is not possible as for the insurance cover to apply correctly your vehicle needs to be deemed roadworthy which would mean the vehicle on cover would need a valid MOT and road tax, this would need to be on the insured vehicle for the riding other bikes term to apply.

Kind Regards,
Ben Rowe | Customer Completion Team
Tel: 0844 338 67 09 | Fax: 0844 338 69 90
Please visit us at http://www.mceinsurance.com
Proud Sponsors of the MCE Insurance British Superbikes

So looks like i can only continue to use other bikes if mine is in order and is 'road worthy' good job i checked i was just about to go out, imagine getting fooked for no insurance, sh1t.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

seb421 wrote:no it wasn't a test mate,

Dear Sir,

Unfortunately this is not possible as for the insurance cover to apply correctly your vehicle needs to be deemed roadworthy which would mean the vehicle on cover would need a valid MOT and road tax, this would need to be on the insured vehicle for the riding other bikes term to apply.

Kind Regards,

So looks like i can only continue to use other bikes if mine is in order and is 'road worthy' good job i checked i was just about to go out, imagine getting fooked for no insurance, sh1t.
So presumably, if you SORN your bike over winter, it isn't roadworthy and so if it gets nicked you aren't insured?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

seb421

Post by seb421 »

Stratman wrote:
seb421 wrote:no it wasn't a test mate,

Dear Sir,

Kind Regards,

So presumably, if you SORN your bike over winter, it isn't roadworthy and so if it gets nicked you aren't insured?

Well i didn't read it as that?

And I'm sure if you are covered for theft then you are covered for theft regardless so long as you hold the policy, they just said that if my own bike is not in order then i cannot use another

Glad I checked up
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
aces-high

Post by aces-high »

How would they know your bike was not fit to be on the road? You wouldn't tell them would you?
if yours is only to be in the garage a couple of days, then you would have it back before any inspection took place ( if it even went that far! )
If your dad has valid insurance on the blade then it wouldn't ping on an ANPR check and so long as you don't ride like a rock your unlikely to get pulled and even then, refer to point 1. You don't tell em your bikes off the road and your 3rd party cover is valid. :shifty:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's what I would do Aces :thumbup:

I hate insurance companies with avengance, they are the biggest stinking, tossing, flowers, wombles butt hole mother beeeeep. They will screw you over any which way they can. Any loopholes, smallprint you missed etc will be used against you. Any excuse for them not to pay up or charge you more. In my opinion they are as low lifes as the banks. Oh well might as well add the cuntstables and screws as well.

If I had my way I would make insurance optional. not a legal requirement. But if youi have a major accident then you have a lot of money to spend out. Wheras if you have insurance you wont have to mortgage your house. This would then cause some competition amogst the insurance compaies and if they took the piss, people would not buy. The only reason they can rip us off is because it's a legal requirement to have.

Have Fun :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
seb421

Post by seb421 »

aces-high wrote:How would they know your bike was not fit to be on the road? You wouldn't tell them would you?
if yours is only to be in the garage a couple of days, then you would have it back before any inspection took place ( if it even went that far! )
If your dad has valid insurance on the blade then it wouldn't ping on an ANPR check and so long as you don't ride like a rock your unlikely to get pulled and even then, refer to point 1. You don't tell em your bikes off the road and your 3rd party cover is valid. :shifty:
No I'm not covered on the blade if my bike has no MOT regardless if the blade does or not, if the worst happens and i stuff the blade into a car or other way round them I would be wombles.

When getting pulled on the blade its registered owner and insurer is my dad, i would then have to prove insurance, if it was a clued up motorway type cop then they might run my details and find out my own bike has no MOT, if he knows his egg's he might know that I wont be covered on the blade 3rd party if mine does not hold a current valid MOT

Didn't want to risk it to be honest, 6 points i could do with out.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
mattster

Post by mattster »

[quote="seb421" if it was a clued up motorway type cop then they might run my details and find out my own bike has no MOT, if he knows his egg's he might know that I wont be covered on the blade 3rd party if mine does not hold a current valid MOT.[/quote]

This happened to a mate of mine - We'd swapped bikes (Storm/Daytona 675), 2 miles down the road he overtakes an unmarked police Focus ST on a solid white line... on my bike! :crazy:

As I waited for him in a bus stop further down the road, they ran my bike through the computer to check it was all legal, then did the same with his own reg # to make sure he was covered 3rd party.

Seb - you're right mate, it's not worth chancing.
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

One word somes it up well a few Money grabbing B@@@@@ds :x :lol:
Loud pipes save lives!