Test Rides/Insurance

General Biker Banter
vtryorks

Test Rides/Insurance

Post by vtryorks »

We all love threads complaining about insurance companies but how about one with a twist?

I passed my test 8 months ago, all fine and dandy. Insured the storm, all fine. Had an absolute hoot riding it. Anyway, due to various things (covered in another thread) I've decided its time for a change. Narrowed the search down to either a retro XJR1300 or a new FZ1n. Perfect.

So I call dealers. Every single time the same. They cant allow a test ride because I havent got a year on my licence. Pfft.

Of course I understand why, but they get people who've done less mileage than I have with 10 years on their licence. I found one dealer who said they could do it as I'm over 6 months, but then his boss turned around and said they didnt want to let a low mileage 60 plate out for a test ride (because it had ONLY 1700 miles on). They then went on further to insult my intelligence. I questioned how they hoped to sell a bike, any bike, without a test ride and the salesman told me that in the last five years, people have tended not to request test rides.....oh really. So I put it to him directly and just asked if it was my licence, he said no.

I do sometimes wonder, are people really that stupid as to buy a bike without riding that model, except perhaps their very first bike where they have no experience of what to look for.....

Overall, I've found the dealers to be entirely uncooperative and they just dont seem interested in a sale at all. One dealer even told me over the phone that they would give a test ride, so I turn up (40 mile round trip) "oh sorry we dont do test rides just like that". Its not like I look like a tw@ (hopefully), I have gear, ride a litre bike and do sort of know what im doing on one too.

All in all a total waste of time. I'm giving serious consideration to opening a bloody dealership myself and staffing it with people who actually know what they are doing...would be a refreshing change.

On a positive note, 3 dealers have commented on my VTR and how good it looks. I had a few customers come over specifically to tell me that it sounds amazing too. So not all bad, but still....

ffs bike dealers.

Rant over. Anyone have any advice they could offer apart from the option of being bikeless for 4 months during the seasons best weather :/
Snoogle

Re: Test Rides/Insurance

Post by Snoogle »

vtryorks wrote:Anyone have any advice they could offer apart from the option of being bikeless for 4 months during the seasons best weather :/
Wait til next year lol

Not read your other thread, sorry.

One of my mates will soon be in a similar situation...been riding bikes on and off since he was young, but, only just passed his test. Naughty I know, but don't act like none of u lot has ever done it lol

He's looking at buying a Speed Triple...however, most of the places won't let him ride their used bikes let alone the demo bikes they have...this is also taking into consideration he's probably gonna put a sizable deposit down on new or buy a second hand one outright.
He drives a 400hp Audi RS4 FFS lol not comparing bikes to cars in that way but him having something like that surely shows he has respect for his use of the loud pedal, no?

Their loss I reckon!
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
boz

Post by boz »

I like to go in to dealers, act all interested and get myself a wee test ride. Fair enough I've had a licence 30 years. Recently did a new VFR (fan bloody tastic) and a GTR. Its a laugh going back and telling them you don't like their shiny new machines......we should make this a forum sport with its own thread.
The best one in the past was testing a Gold Wing, parking it up round the corner and telling the guy that I stopped for fags leaving the key in it.
CBR900rr Fireblade
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I would think the license limitation would be imposed by the dealers' insurers and not something they have much choice/leeway with. Last time I took a courtesy bike and chatted to the staff they said the costs of providing the necessary insurance was very expensive and it still meant signing something IIRC that meant I was liable for the first £1000 if the bike was damaged.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Doesnt it beg the question as to why there is a DAS at all if nobody can test ride a bike they intend to purchase at the end of it? The entire system is a **** frankly. Insurance inparticular.

Not to even to mention the forthcoming doomesday weapon of motorcycles which is the 3rd EU Directive. By god, we're in for a shock.

PS. Edited because I avoided the profanity filter, unintentionally.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

That's a load of sh1t they are being Hippo's mate

Doug hacking now Bolton Kawasaki let me ride various bikes the day I passed my test via DAS, not just me but the lads I passed with too, okay we knew them very well but still I'm sure this place is fobbing you off.

went down to ESB in Bolton too who also let us out on there bikes

i would have been about 22 or 23 so they cant say its because your not over 25 or something like that either
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Rob

Post by Rob »

Every bike I've bought (a grand total of 3) I bought without a test ride...

Been lucky though (owned my VTR from new for 10 years) and wouldn't buy another without riding it first.

Hoping to keep the VTR for many more years :D
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.