Read only probs!!!

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Snoogle

Read only probs!!!

Post by Snoogle »

All my files on my laptop have gone to read only.

I can't copy any music onto my memory card for my fone and I cant write audio CDs for the car. No doubt there are other issues related to the read only thing I haven't yet come across, but, for now that's all I'm worried about.
If I try and amend the properties of the file/document to remove the read only it lets me un "blue" the box (no ticks present) but when going back into the properties it reverts back to a blued out box.

I've tried googling a solution and there are several suggestions. However, as I am pretty crap at this kinda stuff it has gone well over my head...

HELP!!!!! :cry:
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
marravtr

Re: Read only probs!!!

Post by marravtr »

what i know about computers you could write on a ants ball sack!! but whenever i get probs or its not doing what it should i just do a system backup to an earlier date ( just before it went tits up) works for me everytime :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Right click, properties, general, untick the read only box.
Apply to all folders and subfolders. If youre not sure, use the windows help tab.

You can also get at it if u click 'my computer' and go to backup... General, folder options, Blah blah blah
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Already tried the un tick read only box and even tried going into the command prompt and changing the properties there, also done a system restore and this hasn't sorted the problem either. I've googled the answer and it has given me these as solutions already, but nothing seems to have worked! :Argue 1:

HELP!! lol
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

No geeks on the forum can help?! Come on ppl, help a brother from another mother out :cry:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Simple answer, Get a Mac. :lol: :lol:

No seriously, I don't know much about PC's but I highly suspect it's going to be a permissions problem. Something along the lines of http://www.ehow.com/how_5770266_change- ... puter.html

Have you tried creating another (clean) user account and see if everything works fine there. If it does, then you will know it's a problem with that account and not at system level with the operating system ie. windblows (sorry couldn't resist that :lol: )

It's probably a good idea to make a backup on an external drive of all your important files etc. Just in case something major goes wrong, especially if you start playing/learning around with thing's you don't know about. This is a good habit to get into anyway. :thumbup:

Good luck and I'm sorry I could not help anymore.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Looks like he will have to back up files and re install the system then.
Windows = Closed system (it has control of you)
Mac = Open system (You have control of it)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside