Just placed order for Manuel ones
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
Wicky

Re: cam chain rattle

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Can you possibly get a recording of the rattling sound? I have a rattle too but I dont think its the CCT. Everyones saying CCT is a "bag of spanners". The sound from mine is nothing like that.

If you can get a recording, I will too and we can compare notes perhaps? I'd be interesting to see what it is but I am not really worried as such, storms make all sorts of noises :D

My bike is running faultlessly right now, had its first ride out yesterday after a service.
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Ran mine up this morning and i don't think it's the cam chain now.

Think my mind is playing tricks on me :wtf:

I will try get my phone out later to record the sound
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

vtryorks wrote:Can you possibly get a recording of the rattling sound? I have a rattle too but I dont think its the CCT. Everyones saying CCT is a "bag of spanners". .
That's when the spring has snapped; that sound is pistons hitting valves, bent valves jamming in the guides, not retracting properly and leaving HUUUUUUGE valve clearances, meaning that the tip of the cam lobe taps the bucket rather smartly every time it goes past.

Trust me, you won't "wonder what that ticking noise is", you'll be going for the kills witch as fast as possible in the vain hope that you can prevent further damage.

A small ticking noise happens as the spring loses its temper (springiness) and doesn't properly tension the plunger, allowing the cam chain to slap against the tensioner blade, the top chain run guide and possibly other bits of the engine.
If you think it's that, get them changed to manual ones instantly.

If you already have manual ones fitted, see the many threads on how to tension manual tensioners.

If none of the above apply, just ride the damn thing.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Manuals are in the works. Seems to ride perfectly and the rattle has kind of gone away a bit. Just a storm thing I guess :D