newbie from west wales

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
gwynmorris

newbie from west wales

Post by gwynmorris »

Hi im new on the site. I am looking to purchase a VTR soon and just wanted to know if there is anything in particular i should look out for? any advice would be great :D
Wicky

Re: newbie from west wales

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

You won't regret it - but look through the workshop knowledgebase for priority things that need fettling to get the Storm in tip-top mechanical condition

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31 and see if i.e CCT and R/R mods etc, have been done already on your prospective purchase - If not, use it in bargaining and put it on the list of things to do.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Best advice is "Get one". I bought mine a year ago and love it. There are so many things you can do to personalise the bike/improve sections of it, and the majority of stuff you can do yourself with a minimal amount of knowledge and some basic tools. You will also get untold amounts of support through any job you choose to embark on from the guys on the forum, who possess an encyclopedic knowledge of the beast.
Good luck with your search for the perfect steed.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

welcome to the forum mate, you wont regret buying a storm :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard gwynmorris :thumbup:

My advice is (as always) try to get a ride on one before buying, not everyone gets the V twin thing.

Chris.
gwynmorris

Post by gwynmorris »

thanks for the comments, i haven't ridden a v twin before so i will have to find a dealer and have a ride out! last bike was a thunderace so I guess there will be a big difference!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome to the forum buddy :thumbup:
i bought my storm without ever riding a twin, i'd had il4's and v4's but never a twin, it hasn't got that crazy howling top end rush of an il4, but it has loads of midrange grunt and its surprisingly quick, once your used to it, you can keep up with modern bikes thru the twisties, depending how you ride i would consider sorting out the front forks, it doesn't cost much to sort them.
good luck with your hunt, you can get a half decent bike from as little as £1200, but i wouldn't spend over £2000 on one, i bought mine for £720 but i've spent a fair bit of money on it since :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

welcome and you will or wont like the storm so a test ride is a must Marmite bike we all love it but i dint like Marmite i like nuttella :beer:
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

Welcome newbie from a newbie i feel like ive been on here for years :beer: very welcoming
Tidy :wave:
Loud pipes save lives!
gwynmorris

Post by gwynmorris »

i have had w warm welcome too!!! i think the storm will suit my style of riding not to intrested it top end warp speed, I much prefer hacking it arround the bends :biggrin
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

If you can't try before you buy, you should still be able to buy at winter price and get your money Back at summer prices if you don't like it.

I think it will suit you if you enjoy midrange torque, but the engine braking might be something you have to learn.
AMcQ
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Welcome in. :wave: Great forum and great bike so go get one quick........ :wink:
chris vtr virgin

Post by chris vtr virgin »

Welcome in mate, great bike to own it will bring a smile to your face every time your out on it.
:wave: :clap: :wave: :clap:
Some twins have all the fun !!!!
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

where in west wales are you fella? i'm in borth knowing how far you need to go to get a test ride on a storm if you want to have a go on one your more than welcome to have a quick spin on mine (obviously under the "you break it you pay for it" scenario) but yeah if want a spin on it to see if its the bike for you then i will pm you my number, oh and welcome by the way :D
karenvtr

Post by karenvtr »

Hi and welcome :)