A good cheap helmet

General Bike chat
chric

A good cheap helmet

Post by chric »

A good cheapish helmet.
My roof as seen better days and I wont pay 50-60 quid for a new screen so any links or ideas would be great :thumbup:
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
Jester666

Re: A good cheap helmet

Post by Jester666 »

"Cheap" lid?

How much is your head worth? I won't buy anything other than Arai now (Shoei don't fit me) after my last one saving my head after a crash at Silverstone.

Yes you can buy lids for £30 but would you?

Save some money by not buying LEDs and get a decent lid. :lol: :thumbup:
Last edited by Jester666 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat!
Silver 1998 'Storm! That keeps trying to kill me! And is leaving me soon! :(
chric

Post by chric »

The twats have not come yet :cry:
When i say cheap I mean upto around £120
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

I like caberg lids to be honest, they fit the shape of my head and they are around the £120 mark,
chric

Post by chric »

got two old carberg justimo 1black one blue they just seem top heavy but maybe the newer ones are better lighter :?:
chric

Post by chric »

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

My Mrs has a Shark RSV-R lid and it's very well made & comfortable. The visor change system is good as well.
I must admit I tend to stick to Arai, using a Viper GT at the moment, but I know Shark do well on the testing standards you see published.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i was wearing a brand new kbc something or other when i had my accident, it was £140 discounted to £90, it fitted well but it was a tad noisy, it did its job very well indeed, it kept my only brain cell intact :lol:
i believe most lids over the £100 mark do a decent job, my next lid will be around the £150 to £200, you just have to go to a showroom and see what fits you the best and is in your price range. once you decide go straight home and buy it off the net alot cheaper than the showroom :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

chric wrote:got two old carberg justimo 1black one blue they just seem top heavy but maybe the newer ones are better lighter :?:
I got a caberg trip which is heavy but also have a v2r (full face) and thats quite light by comparison, the inner black visor is the biggest plus point as far i'm concerned, I cant be arsed with carrying an extra visor and hate having sun glasses on.

this is the one i'm looking to buy in the next few weeks
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... ?r=Froogle

edit: justimo weighs 1.76kg and the v2r 1.5kg
best bet is to get yourself down to a bike shop and try on all the lids you can, a £500 helmet that doesnt fit right is worse than a £50 one that does fit properly :thumbup:
macphray

Post by macphray »

HI there i tend to look at what lids the riders are wearing in wsb and gp ,if it good enough for them i feel that they must be up there with standards and quality i might be wrong ,but that what i do.At the mo i have a shark it fit well ,and has thick padding.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The motogp and WSb riders don't choose their helmets, they're paid to wear a certain one, which places an element of doubt as the whether they would actually choose to wear that particular brand over another.
Vested interest and all......

I bought a carbon HJC a couple of years ago, it's light but quite noisy.

And because I wear glasses the aperture size and padding around the ears is more important.

Go try some on, it depends on the shape of your head.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

With regard to what the racers wear. Many years ago Barry Sheene wore a lid badged as an AGV, I couldn't find one like it until I looked at Bell..........
macphray

Post by macphray »

yep Tony i do agree with that ,i to ware glasses when riding and as you say it important that the fit is right,i supose in this world we live in now you always get what you pay for.?? (pay less pay twice and allthat asa the old saying goes. :thumbup:
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Jester666 wrote:"Cheap" lid?

How much is your head worth? I won't buy anything other than Arai now (Shoei don't fit me) after my last one saving my head after a crash at Silverstone.
Oddly enough the Lidl £30 cheap lid and the one pictured in your reply have both met exactly the same basic safety tests. Its a law requirement to pass these tests in order to be sold in the UK. So the "how much is your head worth" comment is completely irrelevant.

The only difference is material. For your extra money you get lighter material, better quality padding, more comfortable fit, and a brand name. Oddly enough some of the "cheaper" ones perform better according to the Sharp Safety ratings guide.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Have a look for yourself.

What is important is the fit more than the price. I wear a Duchini helmet that cost me £90. I chose that because I liked it and it fitted me better than the rest I tried on and oddly enough it performs better than the Shoei helmet valued at £420 as shown below:

Look, 4 stars!

Oh my, an extra £330 and only 3 stars.

So how much is your head worth? According to the above my £90 head is worth more than the £420 Shoei head.

Use your head folks, buy a lid that fits properly and not by how much it costs and how big the brand is. I'd trust my head to a £30 Lidl that fitted correctly than I would to a £500 Arai one that didnt fit correctly.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

On a side note. I'll just leave this here.

And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!