Repacking cans

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Steve97

Repacking cans

Post by Steve97 »

Hi fellas thought i might have a go at repacking my Viper cans, some advise would be good, as i havent done this before, and would'nt know to go about it, thought i might cut them down a bit as well, what do you think ?

Steve
lloydie

Repacking cans

Post by lloydie »

If they are fooked then cut them down
If they ain't sell them and buy some stubys

Sorry officer
The voices made me do it
tony.mon

Re: Repacking cans

Post by tony.mon »

Get some spare drill bits in, as drilling out the SS rivets breaks them easily.
Also get some SS rivets if you only have ali ones.

If you're cutting them down suggest you don't just do it by eye, mark them carefully and Dremel, or use a chopsaw.

Wrap the packing material in a spiral of fishing wire to keep it compressed while sliding the sleeve back over the wrapped centre tube.
Pull the line back out after you've finished, but if it won't move, never mind.

And having a friend to help you pull the can apart is useful, too.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

Thanks Tony , big help as always :thumbup:

Steve
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote: Wrap the packing material in a spiral of fishing wire to keep it compressed while sliding the sleeve back over the wrapped centre tube.
Pull the line back out after you've finished, but if it won't move, never mind.

i use nylon fishing line for this.... when the can gets hot it melts the line and lets the wadding expand.
just a note on the cut-down cans..... i put some on mine and it would barely hit the redline.
put the full size lasers back on and it bounces off the limiter like it did before.
they look good and sound good but dont do the performance any favours. :thumbdown:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

Steve if you need a hand doing it give me a shout. I did the Leo's on mine. Then 3 weeks later threw it down the road. Luckily I was under it so damage to the bike was minimal. Trashed one of the cans and purchased a set of Fuel's. Pretty good price. I have shite loads of drill bits. May even have enough stainless rivits left over.
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

Cheers Benny, could be a rethink then, dont want to mess up the performance.

Steve
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

BarryH wrote:Steve if you need a hand doing it give me a shout. I did the Leo's on mine. Then 3 weeks later threw it down the road. Luckily I was under it so damage to the bike was minimal. Trashed one of the cans and purchased a set of Fuel's. Pretty good price. I have shite loads of drill bits. May even have enough stainless rivits left over.
Thanks Barry, :thumbup: Surrey s a long way for me mate, was there any difference in performance after you done the deed one way or another ?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

benny hedges wrote:
tony.mon wrote: Wrap the packing material in a spiral of fishing wire

i use nylon fishing line for this.... :
That's what I meant :oops:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.