rear suspension etc sorted, advice for fork oil/springs??

General Biker Banter
hammie

rear suspension etc sorted, advice for fork oil/springs??

Post by hammie »

Hi all, after reading some posts on here, and seeing the state of some of the swingarm linkage bearings i thought it prudent to check mine out, my bike being a multi ownered not too cared for model lol, stripped it all down expecting the worst, but in fairness, no seized bearings, all cleaned up, repainted, greased etc, and back in, with a bit of polishing to some ally, and a repaint of the swingarm [which had already been painted badley], so thats the ccts changed to manuals, engine serviced, swingarm etc serviced, so the only other job whilst off the road i was going to give the forks a oil change and maybe some hagon progressive springs, any thoughts on this?????? has anyone fitted them?, i put some in the bandit forks im running on my kettle and noticed a marked improvement, also any advice with best fork oil weight to use, finally can anyone let me know what the standard sprocket gearing should be for my 98 vtr should be, i have a 41t on the rear, not sure on the front yet
cheers hammie
turbo_billy

Re: rear suspension etc sorted, advice for fork oil/springs?

Post by turbo_billy »

Hammie, standard gearing is 16t front 41t rear. As for fork oil, I run 15wt in all my bikes but it really depends on personal choice. A lot of others run 10wt. You can even mix your own ie 5wt and 10wt to get to 7.5wt. (you get the picture :plainsmile)

Regards

Tim
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

As my forks are at 55,000 I'm tidying up some spare forks and fitting some hagon progressive springs http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1380 to swap over in the spring

Looking at air gap 140mm /145mm and Silkolene 7.5wt fork oil

The settings and specs for forks and all the suspension settings seem like a Yorkshire Pudding recipe - everyone seems to have a variation on quantities and cooking times handed down from their Mum or Jamie Oliver or Delia ...

http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/modify.htm
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I spent a week or so trying different weights of oil and different air gaps (yes, I know, sad really) and settles on 145 and 7.5 weight, with WP springs.
Good quality oil makes a difference, too- buy the best you can afford.
But I do like the feel from the Hyperpro set, I've fitted three or four for folks and the test ride always feels really good.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
hammie

Post by hammie »

just got some hagon front springs, and have found that ive got more than enough 10w fork oil in the garage, hagons recommend 150mm airgap???? with 10w oil, just waiting for the wheels to come back from the powder coaters then i will take the forks off, give them a tidy up and paint, and change the springs and oil, seals and stanchions appear fine,
just a quick one, any advice on setting the clickers on the top of the forks?? in the middle??, havent touched the front end since ive got the bike and it feels pretty soft [are they all like this] is there just adjusters on the top of the forks,
cheers for now hammie
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

There are a few threads based on the Performance Bikes settings that go into the front/rear settings

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy-ab ... 57&bih=950
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts