Anyone done long distance on their Firestorm?

General Biker Banter

Anyone done long distance on their Firestorm?

Post by Image »

Where did you go? How far did you go? How did the Firestorm handle it? Was the seat soft enough? Did the vibration on the hands cause any probs? Am interested.
Jester666

Re: Anyone done long distance on their Firestorm?

Post by Jester666 »

Longest I've done so far is Winchester to Chesterfield (188 miles).

Mainly major A roads and M1. Handling was fine and the fuel range means that you get plenty of fuel/tea/leg stretch/ciggy breaks! Well only one stop on that journey! :lol:

I don't get any vibes/discomfort and the seat is like a comfy sofa compared to my old CBR600 one.

The first time I did the journey I was wondering why everyone was going so slowly until I looked at the speedo and saw that I was cruising at 45mph more than I should have been!!! 8O I had to recalibrate my right wrist! :lol:

Other than tank range (at the above mentioned naughty speed!) the 'Storm isn't a bad tourer/mile muncher.

The bubble screen I have helps (I'm 6' 1") but the seat gives plenty of room to move about and the pegs don't make your legs cramped like the CBRs did.

HTH
Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat!
Silver 1998 'Storm! That keeps trying to kill me! And is leaving me soon! :(
Richy

Post by Richy »

Did Aberdeen to the Nurburgring and a little beyond last year. Stopped every 100 ish miles for fuel and to stretch the legs. Handled fine even with luggage on. It's got Rogered forks and a posh rear shock though.. Comfort level was fine on the bike, No bad vibes through the bars. (Stock bar end weights still)

THat trip was on the stock gearing too, I've dropped a tooth on the front sprocket for this year, might make a difference.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

In warmer months mine does regular 300 -
500 mile rides with no issues.
When i first got it i found 100 mile was enough but like nything else you get used to it.
I think the sp ismore comfort
able long distance though.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Not realy long distance, as it was only 250 300 miles per day, but I have done a couple of trips round northen france, and also trips back up home to Scotland.

my findings are for a Tall & thin 49yr old, so some views are based on my lack of butt padding and my f88ked up knee joints, but this is what I find

in standard spec the seat kills my elbow, so I got it modified to be higher and have a gel insert, this is much better, but I still have to shuffle round at high milage.
My knees start to ache at 200 miles, but reasets that allowed me to go 10mm back and 10mm down and a new set of leathers which have more knee room have helped fix that.
Vibration, this can be a bit of a pain [hands and feet, but I think my bike is worse than normal] if you are running fixed speed motorway for a long distance, but I try and stay on A roads and then you are always changing the revs so it is not so evident, and you are moving round the bike so knees and elbow are also happier.

only other issues are
1) fuel tank range........with my 16L tank, I was generaly 110miles till the redlight, but as I was traveling with bikes with much better range and in rural France I was worried that I would be in trouble.
I took a 5l can strapped to the pillion seat 1st trip [covered with a bin bag when we were on the ferry!], but I never needed it [although it reduced the stress level when you get to 110 miles and dont know when the next petrol station will be].. So next time I took a 1l camping fuel container as my backup, and a length of hose so I could siphon from the other bikes if we hit trouble.
2) Throwover painiers overload the tail plastics and break the lugs off the lower mountings as all the weight pushes in on the widest part of the tail piece. My solution to that is a length of broom handle cut to be slightly wider than the tail plastic, and fitted with bigger pads on the end to spread load. this then is mounted with elastic straps under the mudgaurd as far back as it can go near the number plate mounting, and this then takes all the side loading from the paniers.
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Longest trips have been round trips from Essex to Cornwall - and to Assen all loaded up with camping gear (throwovers, tent sleeping bag all strapped on) and tankbag + light backpack - No problem. Just got to keep in mind regulary keeping the tank topped up every 100 miles or so thankfully economy gets significantly better with sustained steady cruising.

Oddly in the first couple of years of ownership I did suffer from finger numbness and tingling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration_white_finger) not helped by being a smoker, but It went away or possibly my fingers dropped off :eek2. Probably solved by adapting a slight adjustment in riding position and not putting so much weight on the wrists.

I recommend a flip up touring screen so 90+, where appropriate, doesn't become a chore, along with heated grips , used even in June once or twice, + good gloves and w'proofs keep you comfy no matter what the conditions. If touring with luggage don't scrimp on cargo nets and bungee cords to keep everything from flying off!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts

Post by Image »

Thanks everyone. The only long trips I've done on my Firestorm so far is 150 miles to Wales and 100 miles to Leicester but doing John O Groats to Lands End (843 miles) in 24hrs with some other bikes (not Firestorms)
Thanks for the tips AMCQ46. Yep one of my fears is the limited fuel range of the Firestorm. How much extra do you get in the extended fuel tank and where do you get them? Will take your advice about the fuel can (nice one). Done the JOG to LE trip on a Kwak GPZ900R and my buttocks felt like they'd been paddled so might invest in a butt buffer.
Last edited by Image on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that was the 5L spare fuel solution

This is the more minimal luggage solution with a waterproof tote bag from Aldi

the camping fuel bottle was from e-bay....this type of thing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Primus-Alumin ... 20bf0b8160

and for the siphon hose I hust carry about 1.5m of clear screen wash hose so you can see the fuel before you swallow it! :sick:
AMcQ
playerone

Post by playerone »

Bristol to south east scotland several times( about 900 miles over the weekend with playing up there too) and first time it near killed me, seriously numb ass, sore legs, sore hands and wrists and although I got the bigger tank I was begging the next fuel stop to come almost as soon as I'd left the services........never had a problem after that first time and quite look forward to the trip now :thumbup:

Post by Image »

Playerone, how much extra do you get in the larger tank?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

16l to 19l = 3l about 30miles at best
AMcQ
playerone

Post by playerone »

As AMCQ said there's not much in it really, only bonus is u can take it to the redline all the time and still only have to fill up at same time as others :lol: :lol:
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

longest trip to date is essex to wales we all did last year. I think it was around 270 mark there, run around on saturday then the ride home.

this year im getting my seat modified, gel insert and recovered with grippy stuff so I dont walk around like john wayne this year.

I am replacing my 65 ltr rucksack and panniers for a 120 ltr roll bag, so this year I might be able to bring luxuries like clothes.

Bike handles fine with all lugguge on her, but try not to to follow someone up to silverstone when they dont have any lugguge, I had a large collection of mirros when I got there, they come off cars nicely when filtering at 90+
geodude

Post by geodude »

Longest for me on the storm was Derby to Portsmouth via Coventry and then Wales. Worked out at just under 418 miles http://g.co/maps/qb2yy

The good thing about the storm is the mandatory breaks which helps a lot. Just don't rush through the services and give yourself plenty of time and its fine.

The M4 was the only bit that pissed me off but that's because its one of the most monotonous motorways I have ridden.

I did ache a lot when I got home but it was bearable.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories

Post by Image »

Won't be long stops at services because we're using A roads only so few services and there'll be little time to stop anyway as we'll be on a tight deadline to do over 883 miles in less than 24 hours.
This is the route;

http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9NTMuNTkyM ... 4wfiZhdj00