Speedo stopped workin

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
doddy55

Speedo stopped workin

Post by doddy55 »

Had a problem with my speedo going work this morning about half way work it just stopped working and it stopped clocking miles when I started her up again go home it did the same thing just after leaving work and started again just as I got home anyone had this problem If so how do I fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jester666

Re: Speedo stopped workin

Post by Jester666 »

My old CBR6 had the same thing. Turned out to be the pickup sensor. :(

Not cheap. But I managed to find one on eBay.

Could be the same thing?
Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat!
Silver 1998 'Storm! That keeps trying to kill me! And is leaving me soon! :(
chric

Post by chric »

sounds like your speedo cable to me and that other bit what sticks on end.Infact ignore me I talk sh1t some times :lol:
I had same problem on my honda vigor i had and it was a easy fix
Last edited by chric on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
Jester666

Post by Jester666 »

Unfortunately its not a cable,it electronickery wot makes it work! :D
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

possibly a loose wire somewhere bud if its intermittent like that....
any misfiring as well???
reason i ask is cos the speed sensor is in the gearbox, behind the rear cyl, and talks to the icm (ecu) which then sends a signal to the speedo.
if its the sensor or connection to the ecu i'd expect misfiring or lameness due to lack of ignition advance... if ot, then check the connections from the icm to the speedo.

on the back of the speedo there are some little m4 ring connectors that have a habit of corroding, might just want cleaning up & reconnecting.
on the icm end, under the seat, just in front of the tail lamp theres 2 boxes.... the top one is the cdi, the bottom is the icm... theres a 16 pin connector on the icm - check it isnt loose or wet.

wet salty shite plays havoc with wiring.
i doubt its a component fault or it wouldnt be intermittent, but if it persists ive got a spare speedo & icm you can try. - not got a spare sensor though but i know a man who has.

*thats an exceptionally cheap price for the speedo sensor btw - get it if i was you cos theyre usually a LOT more thn that lol!

tbh start with the connections to the speedo.

& is the battery fully charged????
Last edited by benny hedges on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Jester666

Post by Jester666 »

That'll be the wotsit! :)
doddy55

Speedo stopped workin

Post by doddy55 »

I thought it might of been the pickup censer but I can't find it on my rs I used to have it was on rear brake calliper but I can't see where it is

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

have you downloaded the honda workshop manual yet m8 ----- from carlsalter.com or the link in the workshop section
http://www.mediafire.com/?5u5qsfqgh9f9ejg

theres also a parts fiche from ron ayres as well which is well worth copying.
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... l/VTR1000F

the sensor is just in front of the rear shock next to the rear cct iirc
Last edited by benny hedges on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Phimosis

Post by Phimosis »

The sensor is located and fixed to the rear of the engine with the battery earth lead, the sensor runs up behing the seat and is joined to the loom by the regulator, 5 min job to fix but the part is well expensive, I will look about for you as im on nights..........

Benny when mine went it was very intermittent very annoying, but i think its a teeny tiny known fault.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__honda ... 459_228459

This is comparitively cheap.................
She told me she was 16.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Part of the sensor cable runs by the rear brake gubbins and connects into the loom near the battery. The sensor as Benny said goes into the rear of the bike nr the CCT and is held held in by two allen bolts - the furthest is a little fiddly. When they do go in my experience they go intermittently , stop starting at random, increasingly not at all > cured by replacing.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
doddy55

Speedo stopped workin

Post by doddy55 »

benny hedges wrote:possibly a loose wire somewhere bud if its intermittent like that....
any misfiring as well???
reason i ask is cos the speed sensor is in the gearbox, behind the rear cyl, and talks to the icm (ecu) which then sends a signal to the speedo.
if its the sensor or connection to the ecu i'd expect misfiring or lameness due to lack of ignition advance... if ot, then check the connections from the icm to the speedo.

on the back of the speedo there are some little m4 ring connectors that have a habit of corroding, might just want cleaning up & reconnecting.
on the icm end, under the seat, just in front of the tail lamp theres 2 boxes.... the top one is the cdi, the bottom is the icm... theres a 16 pin connector on the icm - check it isnt loose or wet.

wet salty shite plays havoc with wiring.
i doubt its a component fault or it wouldnt be intermittent, but if it persists ive got a spare speedo & icm you can try. - not got a spare sensor though but i know a man who has.

*thats an exceptionally cheap price for the speedo sensor btw - get it if i was you cos theyre usually a LOT more thn that lol!

tbh start with the connections to the speedo.

& is the battery fully charged????
No miss firing or anything mate I'll check the wires at work tomorrow and failing that I'll bring it round to you tomorrow night iv your not busy mate

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yeh feel free m8 but you'd be as well ordering up that sensor for 20 notes cos thats a fkin steal 8O
Phimosis

Post by Phimosis »

benny hedges wrote:yeh feel free m8 but you'd be as well ordering up that sensor for 20 notes cos thats a fkin steal 8O
I think they are £150 or so from "Authorised Franchises" (licence to charge ridiculous sums) even the one I put up is a steal............buy 2 !!!!
She told me she was 16.
doddy55

Speedo stopped workin

Post by doddy55 »

Found the censer looks easy enough to fit new one gonna order it today thanks for the link wicky and for everyone else's help