Rearsets

General Bike chat
Kev L

Rearsets

Post by Kev L »

Has anyone on here ever attempted the cheap rearset alternative which has been discussed over on the Superhawk forum? The thread goes that you release the securing bolts at the bottoms of the footrest hangers and make plates which allow the original pegs to be rotated by some degrees. This raises and pulls back the pegs somewhat, and if the plates are made tidily it doesn't look too bad. It would also need a couple of plated to re locate the exhaust hangers but neither is too big a job. Anyone had a go?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Re: Rearsets

Post by lloydie »

i was thinking about it for a wile 8O
i think the best way would be to remove 6mm from the securing bolt part of the rear set to allow you to use 6mm
ali spacer for strength pluss i have a sheet of 6mm ali :D
and 3mm ali for the exhaust mount
but i dont really know what im on about :crazy:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I thought the execution on the SH forum was interesting but I think I may save my pennies for something a little more aesthetically pleasing.
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

carbon rear sets or titanium 8)
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Have to see how kind Mr Claus is mate.
:beer:
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

I got some Gilles rear sets. There ok but you pay for the name I think.
Pretty sure Harris used to make um to.
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

thumperslaw wrote:Pretty sure Harris used to make um to.
afaik harris didnt make rearsets for the firestorm, but the early fireblade ones fit.
ive got a harris fireblade set in blck on my storm & theyre top quality.
apart from the footpegs are very fragile and are designed to snap off in an off to save the rearset and frame.
have a look at a site called racealternatives for rearsets and spares, ie footpegs, linkages etc.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Cheers Benny, how do the early Blade rests fit? The Storms are mounted over the swinger (talk about teaching your grandmother how to suck eggs, sorry mucka!). Where do they mount and do you have to make spacers for the swingarm bolt.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yeh you have to drop the s/a to fit them, but then you have to take it off to get the oem pegs off anyway.
they fitted with the original spacers.
ony thing that was an butt was the rear brake switch spring as i didnt get the pressure sensor with mine, but ended up fabbing a bracket for the original switch & drilling tiny hole in the brake lever to take the spring.
mine also came with a selection of different length gear linkages, again, you can get them from racealternatives or if you're rich, direct from harris
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
rob...

Post by rob... »

When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Thanks Rob seen those, but the fireblades option is cheaper and pops up on the 2nd hand market every now and then.
Cheers Benny.
:beer:
rob...

Post by rob... »

intrigued by the fireblade option.... which model?? i'm guessing 929 as the arm is similar?? had a look on the bay, couldn't see anything.
i was gonna copy this idea as i've got 2 sets of gsxr600 valter moto rearsets in the shed....
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I saw Pappy over on the SH forum do those. They finished up well but I still think purpose built would be better.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Why not just pick up any cheap bargain rearsets that you like, to fit any bike at all, then fab up and have welded on frame extenders, the plates which brace the swing arm mount but use the standard footrest mounting Points? Then you can weld on the rearsets you have bought and job's done, bonus it that you get two jobs done at once..
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
rob...

Post by rob... »

because i like the fact that half the frame is missing!! i'd like to make more of a feature of the arm pivoting on the engine. :thumbup: