One day it's fine, then it's missing and misfiring!

General Biker Banter

Post by Image »

Had a great ride out on Sunday. Come Monday morning (this morning) and she's back firing and missing. Went much better once the engine had warmed up so thought hey ho one of those things. But as soon as I started her up at 5pm to come home and same problem again but worse! Now what could have happened last night while she sat there under her cover to change everything. Could it be bad fuel as I fuelled up last night? Bad spark-plug? It's making a right 'clunk' when it misses. I know 'missing' can be caused by many things but is there anything that VTR's are susceptible to?
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I had a similar problem mate, tried plugs, coils etc and no luck. I think in the end it was the fuel, so try drain that first and refill with new as it is easy to do.

If that doesn't work, try changing plugs, then maybe leads and coils (I have a pair for sale if you want).

After that you're going to have to check things like the wiring loom, carbs (blockages or torn diaphragms) , compression and air filter.
marravtr

Re: One day it's fine, then it's missing and misfiring!

Post by marravtr »

drain the fuel and put fresh in, rule out the cheapest fix first mate! if that dont cure it atleast you can rule bad fuel out and it aint cost you nowt :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........

Re: One day it's fine, then it's missing and misfiring!

Post by Image »

Was indeed bad fuel but needed to clean the carbs it was that bad. Damn petrol stations and their crappy fuel!