Security at work

General Bike chat
ktd001

Security at work

Post by ktd001 »

One of my colleagues has just had his R1 nicked at work. It was disc-locked and under a cctv camera but 2.5 minutes and one white van later, he's walking home. Nobody takes any notice of the van, clever huh? So, has anybody got any ideas for where we can a good security quote from (I work in the public sector so they're tight as arseholes which means the cheaper the better)? I've suggested bolting some scaffold poles to the wall at ankle height for us to chain to but they will have to get 3 quotes from different (proper) companies. If you have any names it will help, I don't want the bastuds nicking my 'Storm, else I'm going home on the tube, in the heat, yeeurch!

Kenif
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Sorry to hear about your mates R1, best thing, as you say, is to have something solid to lock the bikes too like a good railing or similar, anything that means the thieving ba*tards have to spend time trying will just make them go away, bikes with disk locks are easy cos they can just lift it into the van and take it somewhere and then get the lock off. Can't recommend any one in particular but I've just fitted some "D" shaped galvanised steel hoops both for cycles and bikes and they cost £150 each fitted by a local contractor, just a bent section of steel tube concreted into the ground. Works a treat.

Hope this helps

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Would they let you leave a couple of paving slabs (the f*&k off heavy ones) with a ground anchor bolted thru em permanently in place? That'd be almost as effective.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
reposado

Post by reposado »

If you go to http://www.bikesource.co.uk and search for security there's a few installers of the anchor type thingys
ktd001

heavy stuff

Post by ktd001 »

We've got the paving slabs but we have to watch out for anything that 'ruins the view'! Didn't realise that we've had 3 bikes nicked in the last year from the site. Trouble is, it's a college so there's millions of people about all the time and the security staff aren't the brightest of buttons. Personally I think alligator traps and those strips of wood with barbed hooks on would be just as good, but what do I know?
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

leave big patch of engine oil under bike, they might think its knackered and leave it, with luck they might slip and break their necks.
ktd001

Oily stuff

Post by ktd001 »

Great idea, but you just KNOW what pillock's going over first (see my post about how NOT to attach crash bungs!)!
bunnybouy

Post by bunnybouy »

8O sorry to hear that, thieving b****** :cry:

as iggy said it is best to to use a real heavy chain and attach it to to something solid. that is the most common way to pinch a bike now.
i had a brand new kmx 125 and i had about 4 locks on it but they still tried to pinch it. one night i was in bed and i could hear this noise coming from outside. so i got out of bed to see some kids trying to cut down the steel railings to get the bike :x
about 5 month later and 8 or 9 attemps by various ppl they gave up and set fire to it instead :evil:

it just does your head in, you save up your money to nice things and others just try to pinch it :cry:

and when the old bill does come around and you give a description of the theifs.
the the old bill say oh yes we know him but theres nothing we can do.
a ring leader will get a group of young kids and get them to do the work cos if they get caught the bill can't do anything as they are under age :evil:
just makes you mad :cry:

jay 8)